Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Move 3 alternatives? (Read 3050 times)
chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Re: Move 3 alternatives?
Reply #5 - 01/14/16 at 09:54:03
Post Tools
I always liked the idea of delayed Anti-Sicilians for a further reason:

In the future you could start substituting parts of your repertoire with mainstream 'Open Sic' choices. E.g. start first dealing with d6-setups while keep applying your Anti-Sic rep vs. the rest of the setups (e6, a6, Nc6)

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #4 - 01/13/16 at 23:35:57
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 01/13/16 at 16:06:06:
Hi all,

I been wondering, vs the sicilian, after e4 c5, nf3, the based on blacks reply, play either the delayed wing gambit, Smith morra, c3, or maybe bb5. Is it a decent idea? Based on what black plays, which opening would be best to try? Or is it just better to play these anti-sicilains on move 2? Thanks.

The most mainstream/critical Anti-Sicilian repertoire would be 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 Nc6/d6 3.Bb5 (Rossolimo/Moscow) and 2...e6 3.c3 (Alapin). I wouldn't trust the Delayed Wing Gambit or Smith Morra (it can work well at fast time-controls mind), but KIA approaches are quite decent when Black is committed to 2...e6.

If you like system openings and don't care about the theoretical evaluation, stuff like the 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bc4/c3 variation, the Grand Prix Attack (but 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.Bb5) and the Big Clamp (starting 2.d3 or 2.Be2) can work well in practice provided you understand the middlegame positions. Even 2.b3 for more creative souls.

In any case, the best reason for playing an Anti-Sicilian is that you're getting your Sicilian opponent out of the positions they are most intimate with, and have most of the choice regarding what middlegame appears on the board. That can be particularly useful against lower-rated players.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 01/13/16 at 23:23:54
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 01/13/16 at 16:06:06:
Based on what black plays, which opening would be best to try?

There won't be any refutation of 3. g3, but how good a position you get will depend on the next few moves and the evaluation of the reverse English that can arise from any number of move orders.

I now think the unassuming 8. a3 is White's best, rather than 8. Nbd2

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 01/13/16 at 21:02:49
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 01/13/16 at 19:00:28:
Well Bb5 is a huge main line vs 2.. d6/Nc6 Smiley The rest don't really gain much whatever black does, but you don't lose so much either.

Thanks, actually I was going to put bb5 in the mix also. Was told it was good to play against nc6 But have not looked at any lines yet.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 01/13/16 at 19:00:28
Post Tools
Well Bb5 is a huge main line vs 2.. d6/Nc6 Smiley The rest don't really gain much whatever black does, but you don't lose so much either.

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Move 3 alternatives?
01/13/16 at 16:06:06
Post Tools
Hi all,

I been wondering, vs the sicilian, after e4 c5, nf3, the based on blacks reply, play either the delayed wing gambit, Smith morra, c3, or maybe bb5. Is it a decent idea? Based on what black plays, which opening would be best to try? Or is it just better to play these anti-sicilains on move 2? Thanks.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo