Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Grunfeld books (Read 3299 times)
fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Grunfeld books
Reply #3 - 01/26/16 at 18:31:07
Post Tools
For explanations, Understanding the Grunfeld by Rowson is a favorite of mine. But Delchev's and Agrest's book also has good explanations, and is more complete in terms of a repertoire than Rowson's book. I haven't followed the Grunfeld much, though, so I can't really tell if there are any glaring holes in D&A's Safest Grunfeld.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #2 - 01/26/16 at 15:21:33
Post Tools
Any good Grunfeld book (aside from introductions) are going to be heavy on analysis and light on commentary. That's the nature of the beast.

Avrukh is still very good, but Svidler's chess24 series is the gold standard. I also liked Vigorito's treatment in the Chess Developments series, but that's not a comprehensive repertoire.

IP Logged

gramsci

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 01/26/16 at 13:36:09
Post Tools
"The Grünfeld according to Svidler" series of videos on chess24.com

IP Logged

crdII
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Grunfeld books
01/26/16 at 12:14:11
Post Tools
I have a few books on the Grunfeld and am currently looking through Dembo's book.  I like the layout and she gives plenty of lines for white and black.  Without getting into details, I don't agree with some of her suggestions though.  I am looking for a good repertoire book for black in this opening that gives good commentary, is objective, relatively current, does not have glaring mistakes and covers all important lines that black could expect to face.  Publication quality such as is offered by Quality Chess and Chess Stars would be an added bonus.  I've read some reviews of Avrukh's two volumes with QC here an elsewhere but from what I've read he's heavy on variations and rather skimpy on commentary.  Anyone have any favorites?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo