Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) QGD vs. Lower Rated Players?? (Read 5762 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: QGD vs. Lower Rated Players??
Reply #14 - 05/11/16 at 14:22:18
Post Tools
Quote:
White does have a couple of reallly boring and drawish lines against it involving Bd3 in the exchange variation to trade off Black's f5-Bishop

Yeah, but Black can play more ambitiously in the example you provide.

[MartinC wrote on 05/04/16 at 08:40:54:
Alternatively you can try and keep the tension for a long time period and lots of pieces on etc. Also quite a good way to do it.

Which can be done in this particular line with

followed by 9...c5.
That's clearly more risky. Black has to deal with the weak pawn on h7. That can be done in several ways: play ...Ne4 or if White gives up the pair of bishops with Bxf6 answer ...g6 and have the fianchetto. Plus you must be willing to play with hanging pawns and with the IQP. But it's also more tense.
This setup is not good if White plays the knight to e2 and close to losing against the Exchange Variation proper, so you need to combine it with the NID or something. So you should only consider it (and strongly so) after a weaker opponent has played Nf3.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #13 - 05/11/16 at 08:34:44
Post Tools
MartinC wrote on 05/04/16 at 08:40:54:
Mostly you just need some self belief that there's play to beat genuinely weaker players in all sorts of positions.
As a certain Magnus Carlsen has - against 2800+ opposition, no less.

As long as you don't enter some forced drawing lines, there should be plenty of play available to beat a genuinely weaker player in most openings.
Try to keep pieces on the board when possible, avoid running through 30 moves of mainline theory if you suspect your opponent to know it, and you should be fine.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 05/04/16 at 08:40:54
Post Tools
Oh goodness, like mentioned above it depends Smiley

One great way to beat weaker players, if you're up to it, is to drag them into technical endings and grind away.

Alternatively you can try and keep the tension for a long time period and lots of pieces on etc. Also quite a good way to do it.

Or you can try and do them in in wild tactics. Not as reliable long term - more chance of an accident! - but not bad if you're low on patience Smiley

Mostly you just need some self belief that there's play to beat genuinely weaker players in all sorts of positions.

IP Logged

NegiRefutes
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/04/16 at 05:58:54
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 05/04/16 at 05:45:19:
Yes, 6...Nbd7 followed by ...c6, ...b6, ...Bb7 or ...Ba6 is the traditional Closed Catalan (basically, no ...dc).  The "Kovalyov" ...Na6 has also long been a book line ...

Ok, thanks for the clarification. So, you think that these lines are what Black should play against lower-rated players?

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #10 - 05/04/16 at 05:45:19
Post Tools
Quote:
Really? I must have got the Closed Catalan term by seeing that Chess Publishing update. I searched it up and 4... Be7 is classified as a Closed Catalan 6... dxc4 becomes an open Catalan. Which lines can Black even play then if he wants to play the Closed lines? 6... Nbd7 or something?

Yes, 6...Nbd7 followed by ...c6, ...b6, ...Bb7 or ...Ba6 is the traditional Closed Catalan (basically, no ...dc).  The "Kovalyov" ...Na6 has also long been a book line ...

IP Logged

NegiRefutes
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/04/16 at 05:19:38
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 05/04/16 at 04:28:01:
I think you may be mixing up the Open and Closed Catalans.  To be fair, I noticed such apparent confusion in at least one Chess Publishing update ...

Really? I must have got the Closed Catalan term by seeing that Chess Publishing update. I searched it up and 4... Be7 is classified as a Closed Catalan 6... dxc4 becomes an open Catalan. Which lines can Black even play then if he wants to play the Closed lines? 6... Nbd7 or something?

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #8 - 05/04/16 at 04:28:01
Post Tools
Quote:
The real problem with the Closed Catalan for me is not the main line with 7. Qc2, I like Black's chances there. But, 7. Ne5 is pretty good and I can't find positions where Black is able to play for the win and a lot of the time he will be suffering. If I found a solution to 7. Ne5 I think all of my 1. d4 repertoire problems would be solved.

I think you may be mixing up the Open and Closed Catalans.  To be fair, I noticed such apparent confusion in at least one Chess Publishing update ...

IP Logged

NegiRefutes
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 05/04/16 at 04:22:49
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 05/04/16 at 04:07:16:
Yes, how could Black hope to beat a weaker opponent in let's just say the Closed Catalan, in which you might have quite a lot of pieces remaining on the board for a long time  Smiley

I have wondered if there should be a term for this "does major opening/defense X offer winning chances?" type of concern (even by players far below GM) ...

The real problem with the Closed Catalan for me is not the main line with 7. Qc2, I like Black's chances there. But, 7. Ne5 is pretty good and I can't find positions where Black is able to play for the win and a lot of the time he will be suffering. If I found a solution to 7. Ne5 I think all of my 1. d4 repertoire problems would be solved.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #6 - 05/04/16 at 04:07:16
Post Tools
Yes, how could Black hope to beat a weaker opponent in let's just say the Closed Catalan, in which you might have quite a lot of pieces remaining on the board for a long time  Smiley

I have wondered if there should be a term for this "does major opening/defense X offer winning chances?" type of concern (even by players far below GM) ...

IP Logged

NegiRefutes
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 05/04/16 at 01:27:48
Post Tools
Yeah, I guess the QGD is not really a line to have lots of winning chances. What line should Black play to create winning chances though. Something like the KID gives White nice chances as well and would be risky against a low rated player. Nf6 and e6 going for the Nimzo isn't that bad but then White has 3. g3 or 3. Nf3.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 05/03/16 at 22:15:03
Post Tools
Quote:
If you are a QGD player, do you have more than one opening against 1. d4 or would you try to somehow outplay your lower rated opponent here?

I think you are looking at this from Black's viewpoint. If you are a technically more proficient player than your opponent, a position where there's little in the way of tactics, but placing the pieces and understanding longer term objectives becomes important. that should be in your favour. The QGD is not a line that springs to mind if you wanted to create winning chances at all costs.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #3 - 05/03/16 at 22:02:54
Post Tools
but no Ragozin without early Nf3 ...

IP Logged

TN
YaBB Moderator

Reply #2 - 05/03/16 at 21:45:48
Post Tools
For such cases, you could go for the Ragozin, for example.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 05/03/16 at 21:21:24
Post Tools
I never played the QGD exclusively, but I can't say it was because of this.  By the way, the first game I recall with this particular version (as opposed to things like Bobotsov-Petrosian and Portisch-Kasparov) is Larsen-Geller (won by a TMB hero of mine from way back).

Pachman considered 9. Bxf6 better.

IP Logged

NegiRefutes
Ex Member

QGD vs. Lower Rated Players??
05/03/16 at 18:23:27
Post Tools
The QGD is a great opening, however, White does have a couple of reallly boring and drawish lines against it involving Bd3 in the exchange variation to trade off Black's f5-Bishop. For example:

If you are a QGD player, do you have more than one opening against 1. d4 or would you try to somehow outplay your lower rated opponent here?

Thanks.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo