Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Alternatives for Ruy Lopez for Blitz/Rapid/Surpris (Read 5255 times)
BigTy
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Alternatives for Ruy Lopez for Blitz/Rapid/Surpris
Reply #8 - 02/05/18 at 00:54:37
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 05/16/16 at 10:16:46:
Well I think I've made my decision. After some investigation, 2. d4 got a quick chop. The Italian was very tempting, as I've looked at it quite a bit before and really like the Max Lunge, and I used to play it in my teens. But it's a very easy = for the Two Knights player.

So that leaves me with the King's Gambit. Really nice  19th Century chess from move 2! Play like a Victorian indeed. I have the Fascinating King's Gambit. Not sure if I'd go as far as John Shaw's book. I'll need some test runs. I usually try out new stuff online for a while so my enthusiasm may, as it often does, wane  Roll Eyes

Have you stuck with the KG? How have your results been? Curious, as I sometimes think of taking it up myself.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #7 - 05/16/16 at 10:16:46
Post Tools
Well I think I've made my decision. After some investigation, 2. d4 got a quick chop. The Italian was very tempting, as I've looked at it quite a bit before and really like the Max Lunge, and I used to play it in my teens. But it's a very easy = for the Two Knights player.

So that leaves me with the King's Gambit. Really nice  19th Century chess from move 2! Play like a Victorian indeed. I have the Fascinating King's Gambit. Not sure if I'd go as far as John Shaw's book. I'll need some test runs. I usually try out new stuff online for a while so my enthusiasm may, as it often does, wane  Roll Eyes

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #6 - 05/13/16 at 05:23:45
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 05/13/16 at 02:02:03:
Maybe you should try the Halloween Attack!!

Well I did say "not one that Black has advantage if they know their stuff", but this would be a laugh for an October blitz tournament Smiley

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #5 - 05/13/16 at 02:02:03
Post Tools
Hmm... sharp, open, surprising, not particularly good.

Maybe you should try the Halloween Attack!!

Grin

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #4 - 05/12/16 at 19:55:54
Post Tools
Well, the Modern Italian doesn't really seem to fit such criteria as sharp, open, surprising ...

I imagine the thinking of many players these days on facing the Center Attack in the Spanish:  "What is that?  Did he accidentally move the pawn too far?" ...

IP Logged

gramsci

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 05/12/16 at 19:13:05
Post Tools
Bishop's Opening and going for Vienna or Modern Italian

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #2 - 05/12/16 at 12:50:23
Post Tools
My other consideration was to play a Lopez Centre Attack with 5./6. d4. Never really looked at it and so not sure how it compares with these.

My preference would be for Italian gambit as I'm most familiar there, but then I'd expect Black to be best prepared for that, so not so much of a surprise.

Things with 2. d4, Black may have looked at, but not for some time I'm hoping  Wink

The King's gambit, well I'd not looked at for either side as I'd go 2. ...d5, but then something completely fresh has something going for it  Cool

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 05/12/16 at 10:30:42
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 05/12/16 at 08:40:22:
but I have been thinking of adding another option against 1. ..e5 for  for Blitz/Rapid/Surprise usage

1. Italian Max-Lange Gambit/Attack. 5. 0-0 against 2N

For Blitz, Rapid use, attempting to confuse by switching from one system to another might work.

The sequences 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. d4 exd4 4. Bc4 Bc5 5. O-O Nf6 6. c3 and 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. c3 Nf6 5. d4 exd4 6. O-O are exactly the same position, but in the latter sequence, castles is a likely shock as 6. cxd4 would have been expected. In the Two Knights, the sequence 1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Nf6 4. d4 may also have shock value.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Alternatives for Ruy Lopez for Blitz/Rapid/Surpris
05/12/16 at 08:40:22
Post Tools
I've been playing the Ruy Lopez (not entirely successfully  Huh) for about 10 years and will keep that going, but I have been thinking of adding another option against 1. ..e5 for  for Blitz/Rapid/Surprise usage (hmm the title snipped the final e   Sad)

Something open and sharp, gambits OK for White, but not wanting to face a Black gambit. OK for Black to be equal, but not one that Black has advantage if they know their stuff.

So far I am thinking of:

1. Italian Max-Lange Gambit/Attack. 5. 0-0 against 2N
2. King's Gambit with Bc4
3. Centre game
4. Danish Gambit

That these reflect things from Dangerous Weapon 1. e4 e5 and Gambiteer I is entirely coincidental   Wink

Is there anything else that fits this style for consideration?

If nothing else, looking at this stuff will help me play 1. ..e5  Smiley

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo