Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Pirc: Move by Move by Nigel Davies (Read 43472 times)
Bibs
God Member

Re: The Pirc: Move by Move by Nigel Davies
Reply #4 - 05/14/16 at 01:41:22
Post Tools
Yes, does seem odd. Poor.
Perhaps this is meant for note-taking?!

Previously Lakdawala filled space with random guff. Perhaps the esteemed Everyman editors took on the volume of very critical feedback and deemed this approach to be progress.

And just filled space with ... space.

IP Logged

motörhead

Here comes the bass, thunder
in the guts...

Reply #3 - 05/13/16 at 21:26:51
Post Tools
AJWZ wrote on 05/12/16 at 12:19:21:

Hm.
Checking the excerpt shows that everyman used every possibility to fill luft into the layout. So you may get two pages content for the price of three...
See pages 107, 108, 110, 111, 114
Is it really printed this way?
Wa there no editor?!

A walk trough the ocean of most souls would scarcely get your feet wet.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 05/12/16 at 19:24:10
Post Tools
Hi.

Many thanks for the information.

Lines covered include:
5...0-0 (with immediate c5 or after Na6) against Austrian Attack - Good
...a6 when White plays Be3 - Excellent
e7-e5 lines against Classical and Fianchetto lines - Interesting (though I don't know what concrete lines this refers to)

Would be my subjective comments on the line choices.

Key Author's notes:
"Please note that despite my recommendations against the major lines this is not a ‘repertoire
book’ as such
. My goal, in keeping with that of the series, is to instil in the reader an understanding of the Pirc so that they can start their journey with this opening."

Alright. It would be interesting to see if this line is covered (didn't see in the excerpt anyway):
(1.e4 d6 2.d4 Nf6 3.Nc3 g6 4.Be3 a6 5.f4)

I bet it will be a very good book but not a great one from theoretical point of view, I'm still hoping for from QC or Everyman "Repertoires" series. But who dares to write detailed and engine-checked Pirc repertoire book?

One can always wish for a high class Pirc repertoire book, but it would be a big project and demanding of much time and labor to do well.

Will buy the book as soon as it comes out of course.
Have a nice day.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #1 - 05/12/16 at 15:11:47
Post Tools
follow a logical strategic pattern which will make them easier to replicate whilst helping to build the reader’s understanding

A much nicer way to play than trying to remember a sequence of 5 engine checked only moves not to be dead  Wink

"This may sound very complicated, but in fact I’m giving you a very simple way to handle
these Be3 lines. You just meet White’s Be3 with ...a6 and otherwise get on with your development."

Smiley Smiley Smiley

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

AJWZ

The Pirc: Move by Move by Nigel Davies
05/12/16 at 12:19:21
Post Tools
The book will be out at the end of May in Europe: https://www.everymanchess.com/the-pirc-move-by-move

There is an excerpt to check:
https://www.everymanchess.com/downloadable/download/sample/sample_id/122/

Lines covered include:
5...0-0 (with immediate c5 or after Na6) against Austrian Attack
...a6 when White plays Be3
e7-e5 lines against Classical and Fianchetto lines

Key Author's notes:
"Please note that despite my recommendations against the major lines this is not a ‘repertoire
book’ as such
. My goal, in keeping with that of the series, is to instil in the reader an understanding of the Pirc so that they can start their journey with this opening."

"Where possible I’ve also made use of my own games and/or lines that I’ve adopted myself,
partly because I believe in them and partly because my personal experience and insights may be of value to the reader. Once again I make no guarantee that they will be the primary picks of the engines, but they follow a logical strategic pattern which will make them easier to replicate whilst helping to build the reader’s understanding."

I bet it will be a very good book but not a great one from theoretical point of view, I'm still hoping for from QC or Everyman "Repertoires" series. But who dares to write detailed and engine-checked Pirc repertoire book?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo