Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Shamkir Gashimov Memorial (Read 12595 times)
Marcellus

Re: Shamkir Gashimov Memorial
Reply #7 - 05/31/16 at 01:21:35
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 05/30/16 at 23:32:29:
I would not suggest pre-arranged. As much because one could never know as anything else. Being a rational sort, I would only ever wish something to be provable.

But, like CbT above, I noted the petering out effect. It leapt out at me. But, y'know, whatever. If locals there are happy, fine, I guess.

Incidentally, while many can be suspected, I only know directly of one deliberate pre-arranged draw.
Well-known author and IM playing capable junior. IM tells junior the page number of a Caro-Kann book, the game reference, to get a seemingly complex draw. Repetition or perpetual, I forget which, but I guess I could look it up.
Junior looks it up, and it duly gets played. Neither bother to act very well though, on the top boards, visible to the crowd. @Plymouth, 1992 iirc.
I know because the junior, a friend and age group peer, told me.
That to me just seems like it is wholly taking the p*** out of those watching.

**Curious, I did look it up.
No repetition or perpetual, just quickly moved to a symmetrical structure. Still very early to agree a draw, but it was agreed. Well, saved energy, and I guess people could go off and look at some ships there or something.**

Your friend was just well-prepared, since the same opponent had trotted out the C-K four rounds earlier...

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #6 - 05/30/16 at 23:32:29
Post Tools
I would not suggest pre-arranged. As much because one could never know as anything else. Being a rational sort, I would only ever wish something to be provable.

But, like CbT above, I noted the petering out effect. It leapt out at me. But, y'know, whatever. If locals there are happy, fine, I guess.

Incidentally, while many can be suspected, I only know directly of one deliberate pre-arranged draw.
Well-known author and IM playing capable junior. IM tells junior the page number of a Caro-Kann book, the game reference, to get a seemingly complex draw. Repetition or perpetual, I forget which, but I guess I could look it up.
Junior looks it up, and it duly gets played. Neither bother to act very well though, on the top boards, visible to the crowd. @Plymouth, 1992 iirc.
I know because the junior, a friend and age group peer, told me.
That to me just seems like it is wholly taking the p*** out of those watching.

**Curious, I did look it up.
No repetition or perpetual, just quickly moved to a symmetrical structure. Still very early to agree a draw, but it was agreed. Well, saved energy, and I guess people could go off and look at some ships there or something.**

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #5 - 05/30/16 at 17:21:09
Post Tools
I hadn't noticed any whiff of pre-arranged draws tbh - will have a closer look but I didn't notice anything strange so far, although granted that could just be my ignorance.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #4 - 05/30/16 at 14:10:47
Post Tools
I don't understand the allegation, which seems to contradict itself. If the draws are prearranged by policy among players of the same nationality, it is exactly like Curacao. If they are not, the draws are not guaranteed.

IP Logged

Confused_by_Theory
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 05/30/16 at 10:37:43
Post Tools
Hello.

GabrielGale wrote on 05/30/16 at 09:35:34:
But surely there is a whiff of "unsporting-like" behaviour? After all what is the point of a tournament where there are going to be a guaranteed 6 drawn games.

The draws are not guaranteed from the outset. The Azeris just seem to prefer a draw to playing on whenever they reach clearly equal positions, which has happened so far in all three games.

Have a nice day.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #2 - 05/30/16 at 09:55:23
Post Tools
In answer:
1) it appears disrespectful to the memory of Gashimov
2) it's taking the p*** out of the sponsors
and
3) it doesn't look like Radjabov can be at all bothered to play chess any more

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #1 - 05/30/16 at 09:35:34
Post Tools
Without trying to hijack the thread, but was about to start a thread on this tournament. Wanted to pose the following question for ChessPubbers to digest and ruminate:
"What is your opinion of a tournament where 4 of the players are from the same country and they are all drawing their games with each other?"
I am not suggesting any blatant unethical behaviour such as match fixing (nothing like Bobby Fischer's allegations of the Curacao tournament).
But surely there is a whiff of "unsporting-like" behaviour? After all what is the point of a tournament where there are going to be a guaranteed 6 drawn games.

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Shamkir Gashimov Memorial
05/29/16 at 14:57:32
Post Tools
Some great commentary and post match interviews by Ljubojevic. Forgot what a great player he was. He can see the key of a position so quick it is truly amazing.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo