Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) King's Indian based Rep Book by A. Kornev 2016 (Read 15755 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: King's Indian based Rep Book by A. Kornev 2016
Reply #26 - 01/07/17 at 17:34:58
Post Tools
rossia wrote on 01/07/17 at 11:05:45:
Kornev is recommending Nc6 in Classical line, but I like new Pavlovic's approach with taking exd4.

Maybe you didn't mean this in the way I read it, but 7...ed in the Classical (whether with 9...c6 or 9...Nc6) is hardly new ...

By the way, speaking of the possibilities other than 6...e5 and 7...Nc6, I noticed that the latest Yearbook has an article on "Classical Variation 7...Re8."  I would suppose that means after 6...c5 7. 0-0 -- such was advocated on a (German-language) Chessbase DVD recently. 

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #25 - 01/07/17 at 12:25:40
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 01/07/17 at 12:11:54:
But come one, if you are a King's Indian player, you are going to get this whatever we say, aren't you  Wink

How did you know  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #24 - 01/07/17 at 12:11:54
Post Tools
I've not done much in the way of comparison, obviously Kornev will be more up to date theoretically, and he goes for the Panno vs the Saemisch, rather than the c5 pawn sac of Bologan.

Bojkov recommendations seem to be different from almost all other repertoires, so can't compare, but great for alternative options.

But come one, if you are a King's Indian player, you are going to get this whatever we say, aren't you  Wink

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #23 - 01/07/17 at 11:05:45
Post Tools
So guys you recommend to buy KID book! But how does it compares with Bologans book on KID, and Bojkov's.

Kornev is recommending Nc6 in Classical line, but I like new Pavlovic's approach with taking exd4.

I also have all Kotronias books, but somehow don't like to play main line Classical Nc6.

Help!

Rating: around 2100

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #22 - 01/07/17 at 09:15:23
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 07/01/16 at 19:00:32:
I was hoping for a one book universal d6 with Pirc and KID

I have books 1 and 2 now and I've been considering how a 1. ...d6 move order could be incorporated into it.

First of all, it's not necessary as there is a very harmonious repertoire here handling transpositions to cover all openings, but I use 1. ...d6 to avoid a lot of lines, which I can add in later.

With Chess Stars already having Barsky's 1. d4 d6 book, adding it to Kornev's two almost gets me there.

1. Nf3 d6 - should transpose to Kornev
1. c4 d6 2. Nf3 - should tranpose too

Just leaves

1. c4 d6. 2. Nc3 or g3

To tranpose to Kornev would allow White all the KID options, so 2. ...e5 is needed here. However Kornev has a c5 response to the Botvinnik system (which I find White is usually heading for here).

You've got two options here, an f5 set up (covered in Explosive Repertoire) or a e5 KID set up (recommended by Dembo in Fighting the Anti-King's Indians).

So these books pretty much have you covered with some nice flexible options and a stepping stone to adding all the KID variations and d4 specials (e.g. Tromp) later

Smiley

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #21 - 11/06/16 at 23:15:17
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 11/06/16 at 02:27:11:
TopNotch wrote on 11/06/16 at 00:51:17:
also his 6...c5 based solution against the Line (Lesser Averbakh 5.Be2,6.Be3) Sokolov used successfully twice against Jorden Van Foreest in their recent match deserves serious consideration.

Yeah, actually it was 3-0 for Sokolov with that line.  The teenage Dutch champion, whose rating is almost the same as Sokolov's, played 6...e5 twice and then tried 6...Nc6.  I wondered if there is some consensus against 6...c5 (an old main book move) these days.

Incidentally after the first of those games, Van Foreest bought the relevant Kotronias book (you can see him posing with it here:  http://www.hoogeveenchess.nl/nl/sokolov-booming ).

Its weird, Van Foreest poses with the Kotronias book but never tests the recommendation in it. The consensus against 6...c5 is 7.e5 according to Simon Williams, but as usual things are never that simple in the KID.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #20 - 11/06/16 at 02:27:11
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 11/06/16 at 00:51:17:
also his 6...c5 based solution against the Line (Lesser Averbakh 5.Be2,6.Be3) Sokolov used successfully twice against Jorden Van Foreest in their recent match deserves serious consideration.

Yeah, actually it was 3-0 for Sokolov with that line.  The teenage Dutch champion, whose rating is almost the same as Sokolov's, played 6...e5 twice and then tried 6...Nc6.  I wondered if there is some consensus against 6...c5 (an old main book move) these days.

Incidentally after the first of those games, Van Foreest bought the relevant Kotronias book (you can see him posing with it here:  http://www.hoogeveenchess.nl/nl/sokolov-booming ).

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #19 - 11/06/16 at 00:51:17
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 11/01/16 at 12:53:35:
I was planning to get the Kornev pair when the Pirctastic Book 1 comes out, but I feel in a bit of glutton having already Bologan's, Vigorito's and Kortronias's stuff  Embarrassed

So do I really need this too?

Yes you need it, it's an excellent concise and up to date one stop resource for KID players. I don't fully trust the Panno against the Saemisch but it's nice to have options in the armory. His suggestions against 'minor' lines as Trump would say, are great, I particularly like his Recommendations against the Kramer (5.Nge2) and the old Seirawan Favorite (5.Bd3), also his 6...c5 based solution against the Line (Lesser Averbakh 5.Be2,6.Be3) Sokolov used successfully twice against Jorden Van Foreest in their recent match deserves serious consideration. This lesser Averbakh line may become more popular at club level in the future as it is GM Simon Williams recommendation against the KID in his latest DVD, Killer 1.d4 - Volume 2.

Lastly I will just like to add that the Kotronias Quality Chess KID books are also indispensable if you play this opening regularly and face strong booked up opposition.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #18 - 11/05/16 at 07:39:08
Post Tools
Fllg wrote on 11/01/16 at 19:06:24:
Btw, comparison with Kotronias´ monumental work is hardly possible given that Kornev has much much less pages available and therefore simply had to be more comprehensive.

True, no doubt about that. You cannot be called a serious KID player if you don't have Kotronias in your shells.

What i liked about Kornev is his general aproach. He is striving to maintain winning chances for Black in all lines, hence his repertoire choices. Also, his general aproach is practical, he bases his lines on the same ideas again and again (for example the ...h5 push in the Panno).

No, not much original stuff. If you want that try Kotronias. He has advanced the theory of the KID some years ahead. Kornev uses corr games as references (same did Kotronias) and in the few places he has to add something on his own he offers a short line (but some of those lines i analysed, they seem correct).

IP Logged

AJZ

Reply #17 - 11/01/16 at 19:11:34
Post Tools
Ametanoitos wrote on 11/01/16 at 10:59:23:
Ι find the book excellent so far! I'd like a bit more explanations, a bit more text in general (like pointing out suggestions from other books as there is plenty of bibliography checked as we see at the start of the book) and i'd like a bit more enthousiasm from the author (it is the KID after all, right!) but this is just a personal view on how i want to read books. The content, as i said, seems excellent to me.

Does "excellent" refer to a great number and quality of his original analysis? Or you like the lines he selected? Paraphrising JEH, is there some new interesting stuff when you compare to other KID sources? Thank you in advance!

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 11/01/16 at 19:06:24
Post Tools
Depends if you are interested in the lines he covers.

I haven´t checked closely yet, but after a first look I was a bit disappointed to see that vs. the Sämisch and the Fianchetto Kornev recommends the well trodden paths like 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.f3 0-0 6.Be3 Nc6 7.Qd2 a6 8.Nge2 Rb8 instead of 8...Na5!? and 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.g3 Bg7 4.Bg2 0-0 5.Nf3 d6 6.0-0 Nc6 7.Nc3 a6 8.d5 Na5 9.Nd2 c5 10.Qc2 Rb8 instead of 10...b5!?. Here Kornev mainly updates Vigorito´s earlier work but of course in both cases the old lines are still valid.

Btw, comparison with Kotronias´ monumental work is hardly possible given that Kornev has much much less pages available and therefore simply had to be more comprehensive.

I will wait for Part I with the Pirc before really working with these books and forming an opinion.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #15 - 11/01/16 at 12:53:35
Post Tools
I was planning to get the Kornev pair when the Pirctastic Book 1 comes out, but I feel in a bit of glutton having already Bologan's, Vigorito's and Kortronias's stuff  Embarrassed

So do I really need this too?

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #14 - 11/01/16 at 10:59:23
Post Tools
Ι find the book excellent so far! I'd like a bit more explanations, a bit more text in general (like pointing out suggestions from other books as there is plenty of bibliography checked as we see at the start of the book) and i'd like a bit more enthousiasm from the author (it is the KID after all, right!) but this is just a personal view on how i want to read books. The content, as i said, seems excellent to me.

IP Logged

AJZ

Reply #13 - 09/27/16 at 14:04:50
Post Tools
The book is out:
http://www.chess-stars.com/index.html

As I'm new to the KID (I don't own any book on KID yet), I'm waiting to hear your opinions. How is the book compared to other KID sources? How would you rate it? Thank you in advance!

IP Logged

gramsci

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 07/31/16 at 08:00:06
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 07/01/16 at 23:39:05:
It would still be nice if Kornev threw in a chapter on the 1.d4 d6 (or 1.d4 g6) move order somewhere, to make full use of the repertoire (to avoid the Tromp and gain extra options against the London and Torre).

Good suggestion!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo