Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Learning c3 against Sicilian. Best book? (Read 6343 times)
Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Re: Learning c3 against Sicilian. Best book?
Reply #17 - 09/21/21 at 12:50:00
Post Tools
On the c3 Sicilian video series by Henley, the next couple of days would be a profitable time to pick it up on sale from a certain website starting with i-  Wink

I will probably do so myself.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

cathexis

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #16 - 09/10/21 at 18:20:46
Post Tools
Continuing to exercise AOC's advice to fully explore all variations, today I received a used copy of Emm's book that was sold as "good" quality but has only some phone numbers scribbled on the Contents page as the only markings I can find. Binding, covers, pages all look great. Flipping through a bit, it looks like a great entry level piece on the c3 Sicilian.

IP Logged

cathexis

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #15 - 09/03/21 at 17:55:52
Post Tools
Ah-ha! The classic newbie problem: didn't calculate all possible variations until the end. Instead only saw the first one. Grin

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #14 - 09/03/21 at 14:51:09
Post Tools
cathexis wrote on 09/03/21 at 13:25:19:
As of 09/03/21,  the Emms book is going for $849 on Amazon ( there is 1 on E-bay for $80)

And yet it is only $14.95 from Everyman.
https://everymanchess.com/products/starting-out-the-c3-sicilian

IP Logged

cathexis

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #13 - 09/03/21 at 13:25:19
Post Tools
FWIW,

As of 09/03/21,  the Emms book is going for $849 on Amazon ( there is 1 on E-bay for $80) and the Sveshnikov one for $150 used on E-bay.  Angry
So maybe this time the video is a better option than a book? I'm not fond of Kindle even though I have one as it doesn't always format well and some Kindle books are a disaster compared to the print version. I hate it when I read of some excellent resource only to find out it requires a human sacrifice to actually obtain it. But that's on me, I suppose.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #12 - 09/01/21 at 23:52:19
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 08/30/21 at 02:17:35:
TopNotch wrote on 08/29/21 at 14:29:20:
If you are a visual learner I can suggest Crushing Black with the c3 Sicilian by GM Ron Henley, it's primarily based off of Sveshnikov's book: https://www.ichess.net/blog/crushing-black-with-the-c3-sicilian/

Hope that helps.

This seems to be a better link to the actual videos: https://www.ichess.net/shop/alapin-sicilian-ron-henley/

I assume it's the same series even though there is some contradictory information there: OnlineChessLessons or Foxy Videos? And a picture of four Sniper videos instead of the Alapin ones...

I must admit I had written Henley off a bit, but your tip tempts me to give him one more try. I mean, how far wrong can you go when you're following Sveshnikov himself!?

P. S.: Does Henley focus on a recommended repertoire for White in this video series? Or does he cover interesting lines more randomly?

A bit of both I'm afraid, but better organised than Sveshnikov's book, albeit ostensibly the same lines being suggested and covered in most cases.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

cathexis

No matter where you go,
there you are.

Reply #11 - 08/30/21 at 11:30:10
Post Tools
FWIW:

[EDIT: I only posted a single link to this 5-Part series by mistake. This link should show ALL GM Ron Henley products at this site:
https://thechessworld.com/store/courses/?presenter=gm-ron-henley

Also, the price is 7.99 PER each one of the 5 vids. My bad!]

Here's another source for the Foxy Vid:

https://thechessworld.com/store/product/crushing-black-with-the-c3-sicilian-vol-...

And from the blurb a quote:

Quote:
Foxy DVD Series – Vol 132
In this 5 part DVD series GM Ron W. Henley covers in detail the c3 Sicilian which is based on GM Evgeny Sveshnikov’s 574-page book The Complete c3 Sicilian.

GM Henley shares his own years of practice, private training games, and preparation. You will gain a complete understanding of this deadly system against the Sicilian Defence. GM Sveshnikov has scored 70% playing over 600 games for White with this powerful lethal opening system.

GM Henley reduces your study time by giving you the best plans, ideas, and variations. You will master this easy to learn the c3 system and will be crushing Black Sicilian players for life!

Outline
Volume 5
History of 2…Nf6 – A Complete Crushing Repertoire Against 1.e4 c5 2.c3 Nf6 3.e5 Nd5 4.Nf3, and now:

4…e6
4…b6
4…e6
4…d6
4…b6
4…Nc6

RUNNING TIME:      246 minutes, video download only.

$ 7.99 U.S.

Hope this helps,

Cathexis

P.S. No apparent PGN's or Practicum offered as this site always says so if it is offered.
« Last Edit: 08/30/21 at 23:52:52 by cathexis »  

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #10 - 08/30/21 at 02:17:35
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 08/29/21 at 14:29:20:
If you are a visual learner I can suggest Crushing Black with the c3 Sicilian by GM Ron Henley, it's primarily based off of Sveshnikov's book: https://www.ichess.net/blog/crushing-black-with-the-c3-sicilian/

Hope that helps.

This seems to be a better link to the actual videos: https://www.ichess.net/shop/alapin-sicilian-ron-henley/

I assume it's the same series even though there is some contradictory information there: OnlineChessLessons or Foxy Videos? And a picture of four Sniper videos instead of the Alapin ones...

I must admit I had written Henley off a bit, but your tip tempts me to give him one more try. I mean, how far wrong can you go when you're following Sveshnikov himself!?

P. S.: Does Henley focus on a recommended repertoire for White in this video series? Or does he cover interesting lines more randomly?

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #9 - 08/29/21 at 14:29:20
Post Tools
Pingudon wrote on 07/13/16 at 17:33:03:
Hi I give up. So many variations against the sicilian. I am not a pro player and I do not have enough time to study. Please tell me a good book to learn it well from scratch.

Everything already mentioned is good, and you can add 2.c3 Sicilian by GM Joe Gallagher to the list:   https://www.amazon.com/c3-Sicilian-Joe-Gallagher/dp/1857442903

Hope that helps.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #8 - 08/29/21 at 13:08:38
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 08/26/21 at 22:29:55:
The Emms book is still a good intro.

The Sveshnikov book is excellent, of course, and I have huge respect for the late GM and all his work. But the book is huge, not very user-friendly for getting started and it needs work to construct a repertoire out of it.

The Chess Stars book "Squeezing the Sicilian" is also very big but at least it gives a repertoire.

The Chessable course by Johan-Sebastian Christiansen is worth considering, but it's not cheap.

A quick fix suggestion: the Emms book, plus make a database of all of David Howell's B22 games!

A quick fix is all very good but as we all know not the solution.

Sveshnikov book should be the starter point for everybody who wants to understand the opening.

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 08/29/21 at 12:36:52
Post Tools
Paddy wrote on 08/26/21 at 22:29:55:

The Sveshnikov book is excellent, of course, and I have huge respect for the late GM and all his work. But the book is huge, not very user-friendly for getting started and it needs work to construct a repertoire out of it.

The Chess Stars book "Squeezing the Sicilian" is also very big but at least it gives a repertoire.

The Chessable course by Johan-Sebastian Christiansen is worth considering, but it's not cheap.

A quick fix suggestion: the Emms book, plus make a database of all of David Howell's B22 games!

Here is my experience

Sveshnikov: (picked up a few times but never studied systematically)
interesting, but hard to navigate.

Chess Stars (spot checked):
looks rather complete but explanations are rather skimpy

Chessable: (I 'learned the complete repertoire')
some parts are very good,
but
- there are holes in the repertoire
- some variations stop much too early
- some lines result in dead-drawn positions
I think it is pretty obvious that this course is based on preparation against players you could assume to play for a win with the Sicilian.

Chess explained The c3 Sicilian by Collins is probably worth a look as well.

There is also Chandler's The Complete c3 Sicilian but is a bit out of date.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #6 - 08/26/21 at 22:29:55
Post Tools

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #5 - 08/26/21 at 12:48:25
Post Tools
Sveshnikov

IP Logged

TN
God Member

Reply #4 - 07/15/16 at 21:16:58
Post Tools
I would think that the ChessPublishing Antis column would be hard to beat. Lots of annotated Alapin games, even decent novelties for the top guys.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #3 - 07/15/16 at 11:33:05
Post Tools
I agree - I'd always recommend Emms's book as the very best starting point. (I won 800 euros in an international open by using one of his lines.)

However, 2 c3 has now acquired its own extensive theory, some of it very concrete, and it can no longer be regarded as a short-cut.

A transitional approach might be to learn and play 1 e4 c5 2 Nf3 e6 3 c3 and see if you feel that the positions suit you, while playing your previous repertoire against other second moves by Black.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo