Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Nimzo Indian / Queen's Indian vs d-pawn specials (Read 16298 times)
hicetnunc

"Do something scary every
day"

Re: Nimzo Indian / Queen's Indian vs d-pawn specials
Reply #7 - 06/07/18 at 17:26:28
Post Tools
Lanark wrote on 06/07/18 at 12:31:48:
I have a similar question for all Nimzo/Queen's Indian (or Bogo) players out there:

I believe most d-pawn specials (Colle, London, Torre) are most effective when Black has played e6.
Do you still play 2...e6 after 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3, hoping for 3.c4, or do you play a different second move, hoping White doesn't play 3.c4?

For example, after 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 d5 I don't think the d-pawn specials give White much, but you have to be ready to play a Queen's Gambit after 3.c4.
The same goes for 2...d6 and the Old Indian/King's Indian.

So, what is your favourite approach? Just going with the d-pawn stuff after 2...e6 or adding another major opening system to your Black repertoire?

I play 2.Nf3 e6 anyway. You can still play QGD set-ups against pretty much anything, and they are solid and rich enough to outplay a slightly weaker or equal opponent.

Alternatively, you can mix it up with stuff such as 3.Bf4 Nh5 or 3.e3 g6!? or 3.Bg5 h6 4.Bh4 d6!? if you feel like it.

48 yo, 1920 elo

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #6 - 06/07/18 at 15:47:30
Post Tools
Lanark wrote on 06/07/18 at 12:31:48:
So, what is your favourite approach? Just going with the d-pawn stuff after 2...e6 or adding another major opening system to your Black repertoire?

I've posted it elsewhere in the forum, but back when I was a Nimzo player I just played 2.Nf3 c5.  I was tired of all the assorted, boring junk that I'd see against 2...e6 (Colle, London, Torre...) and eventually decided that I wanted to know right away whether White was going to play like a man with 3.d5! or some other, non-critical move.  I didn't really play the Benoni, so for the few times I actually faced 3.d5 (about 15% of my games), I played 3...b5. 

IP Logged

Lanark

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 06/07/18 at 12:31:48
Post Tools
I have a similar question for all Nimzo/Queen's Indian (or Bogo) players out there:

I believe most d-pawn specials (Colle, London, Torre) are most effective when Black has played e6.
Do you still play 2...e6 after 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3, hoping for 3.c4, or do you play a different second move, hoping White doesn't play 3.c4?

For example, after 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3 d5 I don't think the d-pawn specials give White much, but you have to be ready to play a Queen's Gambit after 3.c4.
The same goes for 2...d6 and the Old Indian/King's Indian.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 11/29/16 at 19:42:46
Post Tools
There should also be some stuff in Fighting the Anti-King's Indians against some of the d-pawn specials, like the Tromp and the Veresov.

IP Logged

kevinludwig

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #3 - 11/28/16 at 20:45:25
Post Tools
Helpful, thanks!

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 11/28/16 at 20:13:21
Post Tools
There's also grandmaster repitoire 11 by Avrukh. More recent, much thicker which I'm unsure rates as a particular advantage against many of these lines.
(Although given how relatively much super GM attention they've received just recently, they must have picked some theory up.).

IP Logged

kevinludwig

Reply #1 - 11/28/16 at 19:51:54
Post Tools
Or, a decent book that covers this? The only one that I know of is the Cox book on 'd4 Deviations', is that the best all-in-one book for anti-d4 setups from black's perspective?

IP Logged

kevinludwig

Nimzo Indian / Queen's Indian vs d-pawn specials
07/25/16 at 22:26:41
Post Tools
Hi,
Does anyone know decent lines against d-pawn specials when Black is a Nimzo/Queen's Indian player?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo