Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Avrukh 1.d4 book (Read 6556 times)
RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Avrukh 1.d4 book
Reply #6 - 09/21/16 at 07:50:49
Post Tools
Both moves given lead to white attempting to control e4, they are just doing it in different ways. So, not a major diversion, but interesting that a player giving his work serious consideration as you have done now has two ways to play against this structure.

Can even take those ideas to the modern Benoni, which i understand this book recommends white plays the Fianchetto variation?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #5 - 09/20/16 at 01:05:19
Post Tools
Good point. Let's all try to be nicer, hey? (Including self, obviously)
That was a valid question.
RDC - perhaps you can confine your cattiness to the ECForum?

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #4 - 09/19/16 at 04:28:11
Post Tools
I have to say that the "sarcasm" is a bit over the top. After all the OP is making an observation and a legitimate one at that.
Are we really that bored on this Forum that we make this kind of response to a Pubber who has only made 11 posts? (In my immediate recall, he/she is not one of those annoying spammers or who frivolous questions).
The tone amongst some ChessPubbers in recent times is rude and Oracle-complex-like.

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

crdII
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 09/19/16 at 01:13:38
Post Tools
RdC wrote on 09/18/16 at 23:20:39:
It's by no means unknown for chapters of the same book to suggest different continuations depending on the move order. Perhaps it is a secret of practical chess to spot and exploit these.

Of course.  However, since I've been studying this book for quite some time I'm aware that this author rarely has not found transpositions.  He gives alternatives for White but is very clear as to what his main preference is.  Personally, I will usually play only the main line anyway. 

In short, he provides a very good guide based on his experiences in practical play, the play of others and on analysis of lines that have not been played yet.  The author does an outstanding job and I own 3 other opening books by Avrukh which I am very pleased with also.  My aim in pointing out this particular oversight was to help others that might have this volume and not to be critical of the author.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/18/16 at 23:20:39
Post Tools
crdII wrote on 09/18/16 at 14:31:39:
[size=14][size=12]

However, in chapter 13, pg. 165, col. 1, he gives 10.Nd2 with the note [b]"Obviously White must establish control over the e4-square."

It's by no means unknown for chapters of the same book to suggest different continuations depending on the move order. Perhaps it is a secret of practical chess to spot and exploit these.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #1 - 09/18/16 at 17:10:03
Post Tools
Oh my God it's a conspiracy.

IP Logged

crdII
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Avrukh 1.d4 book
09/18/16 at 14:31:39
Post Tools
I'm studying Avrukh's 1.d4, vol. 2 book and found a position that occurred in separate chapters but the author suggested different methods for White to respond.  Since this is a repertoire book for White, I'm sure it was an oversight on the author's part.  Following is the position that arises in chapter 8, pg. 105, on the Snake Benoni after Black's 9th move.

1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 e6 3.g3 c5 4.d5 exd5 5.cxd5 Bd6 6.Nc3 O-O 7.Bg2 Re8 8.Nf3 Bf8 9.O-O d6

In this chapter, Avrukh cites the game Cvitan-Schwab which continued with 10.Re1 Na6 11.h3 Nc7 12.a4 b6 13.e4 Bb7 14.Qb3 Rb8 15.Bf4 Nh5 16.Bg5 f6 17.Be3

However, in chapter 13, pg. 165, col. 1, he gives 10.Nd2 with the note "Obviously White must establish control over the e4-square."

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo