Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why isn't the QGA more popular? (Read 26669 times)
H-HH

Re: Why isn't the QGA more popular?
Reply #27 - 12/05/19 at 13:45:04
Post Tools
I guess the QGA is not more popular because people don't like to play with less space, or just don't like to grind long technichal wins after defending for many moves. People even ask me why I play it. Well, usually white knows little theory and don't play the most critical lines, allowing black to be confortable (or they play 3.Nc3 a6 4.a4, and black is already slightly better).

Regarding Dlugy's quote, I certainly don't think all lines are +=, for instance 7.a4 is not hard to equalize against. But 7.Bb3 and 3.e4 e5 8.Bb5 (as in Aronian x Shirov, Elista 2006) are huge challenges for black to equalize.

French defence forever, Fide 2035.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #26 - 05/04/18 at 06:15:07
Post Tools
I doubt I've ever seen the way Caruana played against Shankland before (7. a4 is of course a major line from way back; I recall it being played by Botvinnik, Gligoric and Geller, whilst Larsen doubted its merit), but Ju-Tan looked to me like an old pattern.  (Some time ago 9. Qe2+ was given as leading to an edge for White.)

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #25 - 05/03/18 at 22:43:18
Post Tools
Resurrecting the old thread 'cos in answer to the OP's query, just noticed that the World No 2 has been playing the QGA as Black (and of course the Petroff as Black against 1 e4 with very good results).
Then yesterday (AEST), the Women World Champion essayed the QGA in Game 1 in the 2018 Women World Champs in Shanghai (I guess not many people knew the Champs was on!!!).
What do ChessPubbers think? Any "newish/modish" way these players are playing the QGA?

Here is Fabiano Caruana's Rd 5 game from just concluded US Champs vs the new US Champ:

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait
God Member

Reply #24 - 08/04/17 at 06:02:54
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 08/03/17 at 13:00:52:
3.e4 b5!? is very interesting.

it generally leads to 3...Nf6 positions with all the queenside pawns swapped off

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #23 - 08/03/17 at 13:00:52
Post Tools
3.e4 b5!? is very interesting.

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #22 - 08/02/17 at 20:47:02
Post Tools
"What's the expert opinion?" -- It does not quite equalize.

Back in the day when Max Dlugy was still an active player, I was invited to a dinner where he was present. I will quote what he said, but only from memory so of course this is not 100% accurate.
Quote:
I am always happy when someone plays the Queen's Gambit Accepted against me. All the lines are slightly better for white, so I can just play whatever line I like at the moment.
At that time Dlugy specialized in the QGA, so he knows a thing or two about it.

As for my non-expert opinion -- I have played it, not too many times, with great results overall. I can recommend it to certain players but not to everyone. The reason I did not play it more was because I was getting even better results with the Slav.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 07/28/17 at 20:36:20
Post Tools
sim wrote on 07/28/17 at 10:05:37:
Interesting thread. The question why the QGA isn't more popular was answered. The question why the QGA after 1.Nf3 isn't more popular was also answered.
But I'm still interested in the question why the QGA isn't more popular after 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3.
I've seen many people asking what to pair their Nimzo or Benkö with after white doesn't play 2.c4 and 3.Nc3. Shouldn't the QGA be mentioned? (I'm probably overlooking something.)

I cant imagine why people would want to pair the Benko with the QGA?

It would probably require learning additional lines against D pawn specials, and Benko players I would think would prefer switching into a KI/Pirc set up or maybe even a kasparov gambit if white follows up with 3.c4?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

sim
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 07/28/17 at 10:05:37
Post Tools
Interesting thread. The question why the QGA isn't more popular was answered. The question why the QGA after 1.Nf3 isn't more popular was also answered.
But I'm still interested in the question why the QGA isn't more popular after 1.d4 Nf6 2.Nf3.
I've seen many people asking what to pair their Nimzo or Benkö with after white doesn't play 2.c4 and 3.Nc3. Shouldn't the QGA be mentioned? (I'm probably overlooking something.)

Edit: for example, I overlooked that it could be a solution for a Benkö-player, but won't help a Nimzo-player against an uncooperative white player.
« Last Edit: 07/28/17 at 19:15:06 by sim »  

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #19 - 07/14/17 at 00:03:29
Post Tools
Of course the QGA is a fantastic opening and should probably be more popular at lower levels.  On the other hand, I've always felt that Black is taking more risks in many lines, and from a practical point of view, White can often just play normal moves and be pretty successful by playing with a general understanding of isolated pawn positions, for instance.  There isn't a huge reward in store for Black in studying up on the Queen's Gambit Accepted, not to the extent that Black can be rewarded in the King's Indian or Nimzo-Indian.  That's probably why it isn't more popular, but if it suits you, all the better to specialize in a rare opening!

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #18 - 07/13/17 at 23:39:51
Post Tools
The QGA is quite concrete at times so many players shy away from it and try to pick more closed openings. I also don't think you can really use it vs flank openings like you can the other options. It's akin to the Nimzo in the sense that White has to let you and people often want universal openings. That's why stuff like the KID, London, KIA and Semi-Slav always has a large following. I might be wrong though. These were my reasons for not playing it.

In terms of soundness, it's extremely reliable and will never be refuted. Even Avrukh's second book after nearly a decade can't find an edge in it. The first 2008 book had e3 lines and his updated version switched to e4 because those didn't seem to offer much of anything. However, even the e4 lines often lead to equality.

For instance, take this line from the first 20 pages of Avrukh's book:

1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3.Nf3 dxc4 4.e4 b5 5.a4 c6 6.axb5 cxb5 7.b3 Nf6 8.bxc4 Nxe4 9.c5 Bxc5 10.Bxb5+ Bd7 11.Bxd7+ Qxd7 12.dxc5 Qxd1+ 13.Kxd1 Nxf2+ 14.Ke2 Nxh1 15.Bf4 O-O 16.Bd6 Rc8 17.Nc3 Nd7 18.Na4 Nf6 19.Nd2 Ne8 20.Bf4 Nc7

He suggests that White may have better long term prospects due to the passed pawn but I highly doubt it. It's nearly impossible for it to become a true threat and I'd say Black is completely equal.

This is in the first 20 pages and already Black has an equalizing line despite Avrukh picking what he thinks are the toughest variations.

IP Logged

tapchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 12/30/16 at 09:42:48
Post Tools
After buying Delchev book and having started to play regularly the QGA both in online blitz and OTB games I am even more convinced now that the QGA is highly underrated. My results so far have been better than with any other defense I used to play against 1.d4. It is now my main answer to 1.d4.

IP Logged

chessfreak
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 11/12/16 at 10:44:31
Post Tools
It's not popular because people don't want to play it Grin , There are tons of strong openings like King's Indian, Grunfeld etc which gives better alternatives for the counter player

IP Logged

mrbenoni
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 09/27/16 at 20:11:41
Post Tools
Quote:
Hi,

No, 5. Nbd2 after 4... Bb4 is not the most challenging option for sure. Black can go 5... c3 and is much better, just check with the engine.

I think you might be mixing up the line with 4... exd4 5. Bxc4 and then Bb4 where 6. Nbd2 is a good move.

My apologies I just looked at the pgn and didn't open the game on a chessboard. You are right , after 4...Bb4 5.Nbd2 is a bad mistake however, also in this case, Bd2 is not the most challenging line for White.

After 4...Bb4  theory gives 5.Nc3 as the most challenging. I see that you propose 6...Nd7 which is mentioned only very briefly in the source I have. On what have you based your analysis of 6...Nd7? Is it 100% indipendent analysis.

How does the QGA fare in correspondence chess? I do not have any correspondence chess source. Can you share some of yours  (uncommented games of course)?
Regards.

IP Logged

NegiRefutes
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 09/27/16 at 14:53:15
Post Tools
Hi,

No, 5. Nbd2 after 4... Bb4 is not the most challenging option for sure. Black can go 5... c3 and is much better, just check with the engine.

I think you might be mixing up the line with 4... exd4 5. Bxc4 and then Bb4 where 6. Nbd2 is a good move.

IP Logged

mrbenoni
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 09/27/16 at 07:52:04
Post Tools
Scarblac wrote on 09/26/16 at 19:05:35:
When GM David Smerdon reviewed "Understanding the Queen's Gambit Accepted" on his blog last year ( ), he stated "The QGA feels like it’s been around forever, but of late I’ve noticed more and more top GMs adding it to their repertoires, so much so that I’ve even added it to mine."

Is it that unpopular?

The QGA IS unpopular. Just goes trough the games of the latest olympiad and compare how many QGA have been played agains all the other major openings. I guess that only the Tarrasch is played less than the QGA.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo