Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Why isn't the QGA more popular? (Read 26599 times)
mrbenoni
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Why isn't the QGA more popular?
Reply #12 - 09/27/16 at 07:50:08
Post Tools
Hi Negi,
I think that you overlooked the most challeging option in the 4...Bb4+ variation which is Nbd2. I have looked at the existing theory and I haven't liked it at all.
Instead 4...exd4 5...Nc6 6...Be6 can be caotic but gives counterplay to Black if White plays 7. Bxe6. 7.Bb5 allows White to pressurize by sacryficing temporarly a pawn but the resulting endgame seems holdable.

IP Logged

NegiRefutes
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 09/26/16 at 20:47:26
Post Tools
Any improvements on the lines I posted (mainly the 4... Bb4 lines) would be good because I'm thinking about playing the QGA in the future.

IP Logged

NegiRefutes
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 09/26/16 at 20:46:06
Post Tools
I think 3. e4 e5 is best for Black.

Here is some analysis, it is not complete as I haven't had the time to analyse everything.

@Scarblac
The QGA is pretty unpopular compared to most of the opening being played today at the top level.

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #9 - 09/26/16 at 19:05:35
Post Tools
When GM David Smerdon reviewed "Understanding the Queen's Gambit Accepted" on his blog last year ( http://www.davidsmerdon.com/?p=1769 ), he stated "The QGA feels like it’s been around forever, but of late I’ve noticed more and more top GMs adding it to their repertoires, so much so that I’ve even added it to mine."

Is it that unpopular?

IP Logged

mrbenoni
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 09/26/16 at 16:11:03
Post Tools
I have the impression that the main reason why the QGA is not used more at higher level are:

- The dxc5 endgame
- The forcing nature of most  of the other lines in which a well prepared White player can enter a very plain position.

My feeling is that even a traditional Declined Queen's gambit could provide better winning chances because even in draw positions the non-forcing nature of the game gives opportunities to out-manouvre the opponent.

I would say that the Petroff stays to the QGA as the Spanish Berlin stays to the QGD.
However as a drawing weapon I think the QGA is a very good opening. In fact Kasparov and Fischer used the QGA when they were looking for a draw.
As such it should be a perfectly suitable opening also for a weaker player.

NegiRefures, what do you think of 3.e4 e5?

IP Logged

NegiRefutes
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 09/25/16 at 20:06:02
Post Tools
Hi 'mrbenoni',

So I have done a little bit of analysis on the 3. e4 variation and checked Ivanchuk's games there. Black seemed to be getting very close to equality in both of those and I have some improvements for Black to do even better. The main problem for me with the QGA is actually the endgame line with 7. dxc5, as lower-rated players likely can draw and higher rated players can press. Though for most players, the QGA is a good weapon.

I'll post some analysis on 3. e4 later today or tomorrow likely.

IP Logged

NegiRefutes
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 09/24/16 at 00:47:20
Post Tools
@mrbenoni

Yes, Carlsen did play the QGA vs. Giri, but he is Carlsen and can get away with playing lots if stuff. Lately he has been trying 1... g6 as a way to play for the win. So the QGA is totally fine, but, stuff like the Nimzo/Queens Indian and the Grunfeld are more popular as they are easier to equalize in. I'll post some analysis on 3. e4 lines maybe in a day or so and I'll also check the Ivanchuk games.

The QGA is a perfectly fine opening but at the top level they prefer to play the absolute best lines.

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #5 - 09/23/16 at 23:39:30
Post Tools
Probably because it is not outwardly showy and people do not take the time to get to know it.
Reminds me of high school.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

mrbenoni
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 09/23/16 at 19:57:21
Post Tools
Wang Hao - Ivanchuk and InarKiev - Ivanchuk both 2016 seem to be smooth draws in the 3.e4 variation.
To be noted that also Carlsen has been willing to enter the same variation recently in the game Giri-Carlsen Bilbao Masters 2016.

In your opinion what are the problematic lines and what are  instead the reccomended ones?
Regards & thanks.

IP Logged

NegiRefutes
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 09/23/16 at 18:17:24
Post Tools
Yes, the 3. e4 line is a problem. You don't see more of it after 1. Nf3 because most people go 1. Nf3 d5 then 2. c4 or 2. g3, not 2. d4.

IP Logged

mrbenoni
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/23/16 at 11:43:48
Post Tools
Are you saying that the GQA is just not so good? I have noticed that Ivanchuck has played a couple of recent QGA games that ended in very quick draws. If the problem is the central variation ( 3.e4 ) why don't we see more of it after 1.Nf3?
I am really interested in your opinion , thanks.

IP Logged

NegiRefutes
Ex Member

Reply #1 - 09/23/16 at 01:23:51
Post Tools
The QGA isn't that popular because GM's prefer to play something really sound and strong like the Nimzo Indian or the Grunfeld. The QGA is definitely not a bad opening but if it was played against a GM, 3. e4 would probably be played.

IP Logged

mrbenoni
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Why isn't the QGA more popular?
09/22/16 at 19:52:21
Post Tools
Hi ChessForum,
I am really wondering why the QGA is not more popular.
Theorically it seems to be in good shape and the theory to learn, compared to other defenses, is relatively small.
Even if the Central variation 3.e4 wasn't sound I don't understand why we don't see more of it at least after 1.Nf3?
To me it seems a very good drawing weapon so why don't GMs use it when Black is fine with a drawn?
What's the expert opinion?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo