Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Source for erroneous Vienna analysis (Read 2537 times)
George Jempty

Participant 1996 US Corres.
Champ. Qualifying Rd.

Re: Source for erroneous Vienna analysis
Reply #2 - 09/26/16 at 23:22:52
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 09/25/16 at 12:32:54:
George Jempty wrote on 09/23/16 at 06:19:44:
missing 10.Rg1 by White solving both the threat to the rook and the ...Qh4 mate threat, as well as preparing the rook lift Rg3.

I've no idea where the analysis came from, but even if it's not a forced win for Black (my computer says it's better for White) it still looks pretty messy after 10 Rg1 Nd7. I wouldn't fancy playing White in a rapid game.

Three things
  • I found a source, both the first and second editions of ECO-C
  • My pretty deep (40-ply) analysis with Komodo 10.1 shows White ahead over 0.5 against 10...Nd7 after either 11.d4 or better yet 11.Rg3
  • But yes, definitely very messy in a rapid game, going back to Black's 9th move: 9...Qh4+! when again the silicon beast (I know, they are not the be-all/end-all) gives a long forcing line as much closer to completely equal for Black, where he is prepared to give up two pieces for an attack against White's king stuck in the center

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: Source for erroneous Vienna analysis
Reply #1 - 09/25/16 at 12:32:54
Post Tools
George Jempty wrote on 09/23/16 at 06:19:44:
missing 10.Rg1 by White solving both the threat to the rook and the ...Qh4 mate threat, as well as preparing the rook lift Rg3.

I've no idea where the analysis came from, but even if it's not a forced win for Black (my computer says it's better for White) it still looks pretty messy after 10 Rg1 Nd7. I wouldn't fancy playing White in a rapid game.

IP Logged

George Jempty

Participant 1996 US Corres.
Champ. Qualifying Rd.

Source for erroneous Vienna analysis
09/23/16 at 06:19:44
Post Tools
I'm searching for the source for some erroneous Vienna analysis from around 20 years ago or longer.  In the following position 7.Qb5+ was given a question mark, with the continuation given as shown, in the end missing 10.Rg1 by White solving both the threat to the rook and the ...Qh4 mate threat, as well as preparing the rook lift Rg3. 

I thought this was in MCO but I've looked in a couple of editions now (12 & 13) with no luck.  Any help is appreciated

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo