Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Queen's Gambit book by Lemos (Read 23414 times)
Marcellus

Re: Queen's Gambit book by Lemos
Reply #10 - 11/22/16 at 15:05:37
Post Tools
VKap wrote on 11/21/16 at 21:08:09:
Lemos is probably the shadiest of authors..
I dont trust anyone related to OnlineChessLessons or whatever its called now.

Why do you say that about Lemos? I think his first book and videos that I've seen are decent.

IP Logged

VKap
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 11/21/16 at 21:08:09
Post Tools
Lemos is probably the shadiest of authors..
I dont trust anyone related to OnlineChessLessons or whatever its called now.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #8 - 11/20/16 at 22:10:08
Post Tools
Respectfully, that is incorrect usage of the term.

Check a dictionary. There are plenty online for free.
Check also one of the online corpora for examples of usage.
Ask an educated friend.

You omitted 'political' from the 'definition' provided. Deliberately? Source of the definition? Or is it your own definition? Words have commonly understood meanings - it is how language can function.

The term is not used in marketing products, but in the political sphere.

It baffles me that a player can be upset by a publishing house being candid with their customers. I get the disapppointment, when one is excited about a forthcoming book, but not the anger.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #7 - 11/20/16 at 21:34:24
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 11/20/16 at 02:31:54:
barnaby wrote on 11/17/16 at 15:00:36:
Straggler wrote on 11/17/16 at 13:03:53:
Indeed. The website was still giving the publication date as 15 Nov right up to that date. Quite a contrast with the way Quality Chess (for example) keep their customers informed.

Quality does put out good books but their propaganda arm on that blog is not reliable as far as dates are concerned.

Don't believe their hype.

Bizarre. 'Propaganda arm'??! It is a chess book publisher, not the old Soviet Union. That's a bit tin foil hat, chemtrails type thinking to talk in such a way. Oh, do behave.

I find QC to be refreshingly candid and honest, myself. They have massively raised the chess publishing quality bar. They put out darned good books. Everyman, hmm, well. Sometimes very good (notably Rot't'ella, Scherbakov), sometimes less so.

Anyway, chess books come out when they come out. It's a board game, and these are books about a board game. It's a big universe....

Get over it and yourself. 

Propaganda is information that is not impartial and is used primarily to influence an audience and further an agenda.

That is a viable, working definition of the word.

"Quality Chess is full of chess propaganda on their self serving blog," is both a valid opinion and statement and I stand by it.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #6 - 11/20/16 at 02:31:54
Post Tools
barnaby wrote on 11/17/16 at 15:00:36:
Indeed. The website was still giving the publication date as 15 Nov right up to that date. Quite a contrast with the way Quality Chess (for example) keep their customers informed.

Quality does put out good books but their propaganda arm on that blog is not reliable as far as dates are concerned.

Bizarre. 'Propaganda arm'??! It is a chess book publisher, not the old Soviet Union. That's a bit tin foil hat, chemtrails type thinking to talk in such a way. Oh, do behave.

I find QC to be refreshingly candid and honest, myself. They have massively raised the chess publishing quality bar. They put out darned good books. Everyman, hmm, well. Sometimes very good (notably Rot't'ella, Scherbakov), sometimes less so.

Anyway, chess books come out when they come out. It's a board game, and these are books about a board game. It's a big universe....

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #5 - 11/19/16 at 13:52:46
Post Tools
Unreliability is one thing; continuing to state a publication date long after you know you can't possibly meet it is another.

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #4 - 11/17/16 at 15:00:36
Post Tools

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #3 - 11/17/16 at 13:44:06
Post Tools
Yes, well, I'm not sure QC is a completely positive example where delaying books is concerned Smiley

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #2 - 11/17/16 at 13:03:53
Post Tools

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #1 - 11/15/16 at 13:59:19
Post Tools
Postponed to 31 Mar 2017   Sad

IP Logged

Straggler

Queen's Gambit book by Lemos
10/10/16 at 22:38:59
Post Tools
Apologies if this is common knowledge, but I've just noticed that next month (or January in the US) Everyman are publishing a Queen's Gambit repertoire book for White by Damian Lemos. What interests me about this is that, though there is as yet no indication of the lines he will recommend, Lemos himself doesn't seem to go in for the exchange variation: in fact he usually plays Nf3 before c4. So hopefully this won't be yet another book recommending the exchange.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo