Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll closed Question: Who will win the 2016 World Championship?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Magnus +3    
  7 (11.5%)
Sergey +3    
  0 (0.0%)
Magnus +1-3 (regulation)    
  44 (72.1%)
Sergey +1-3 (regulation)    
  4 (6.6%)
Tie. Magnus wins the tiebreak    
  4 (6.6%)
Tie. Sergey wins the tiebreak    
  2 (3.3%)
The match goes unfinished...    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 61
« Created by: Smyslov_Fan on: 11/08/16 at 08:35:54 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 2016 World Championship Match (Read 106036 times)
snits

Re: 2016 World Championship Match
Reply #133 - 12/01/16 at 10:08:04
Post Tools
Susan Polgar's suggestion for changing the format is 8 classical, 8 rapid, 8 blitz. Yuck

https://chessdailynews.com/proposed-change-to-world-championship-format/

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #132 - 12/01/16 at 09:51:33
Post Tools
AJWZ wrote on 12/01/16 at 07:27:46:
Well deserved win for Carlsen. Karjakin's psychological strategy of playing safe (also with White pieces) and waiting for Carlsen's mistakes didn't pay off. 

I'd argue that it quite possibly did pay off quite well - he got very close to winning the match in the end which is objectively a really good result for him.

After all, Carlsen is simply the mildly better all round player and plenty were predicting a much more comfortable Carlsen win.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #131 - 12/01/16 at 08:42:25
Post Tools
I think Carlsen deserves it as he pushed more and indeed almost lost the match because of pressing. Karjakin is a very impressive player especially defending difficult positions. But I am not sure how exciting it would have been if we had two Karjakin-type players competing.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #130 - 12/01/16 at 08:05:37
Post Tools
In terms of match strategy (let's say the 'grand' strategy of the WCh) I think it had a lot of similarities with Anand-Gelfand.

Kudos to both, it had a lot of tension, esp. after the first 2 games.

And of course congrats to the World Champion!

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

AJWZ

Reply #129 - 12/01/16 at 07:27:46
Post Tools
Well deserved win for Carlsen. Karjakin's psychological strategy of playing safe (also with White pieces) and waiting for Carlsen's mistakes didn't pay off. Carlsen had an initiative in the match and tried harder to win. Karjakin just didn't do enough to win the match. I'm curious how the possible 2nd match between them would go.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #128 - 12/01/16 at 01:47:45
Post Tools
This was the most entertaining and enjoyable world championship match that I've seen in a long time. Kudos to both players, especially Karjakin who proved himself a serious contender when many people wondered whether he really deserved a shot at the title.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #127 - 11/30/16 at 23:56:39
Post Tools
Happy birthday and congratulations Magnus!! You came from behind and finally ended Karjakin's defensive tour-de-force. It must have felt like writing a gigantic exclamation point on the outcome to lay down a mate in one, on the last move of the match, against this most elusive of defenders.
« Last Edit: 12/01/16 at 03:41:13 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #126 - 11/30/16 at 22:36:43
Post Tools
Beautiful game 3 by Carlsen, hard to see how we can complain about these games as fans!  Though I'd still rather have a 24 game match and have the tiebreaks decided beforehand.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #125 - 11/30/16 at 21:37:01
Post Tools
Well, after two drawn tiebreak rapid games, I will say that whoever wins this will deserve it. Carlsen has obtained a long-term advantage, however slight, in nearly every game. And Karjakin has defended with incredible self-possession up to now. Honestly, it could nearly as fairly be decided by a coin toss like Smyslov-Huebner.

On Saturday Gelfand said something beautiful--that on the day of the tiebreaks, the tension and ultimate psychological testing of the players are such that it is Destiny that is really playing.
« Last Edit: 12/01/16 at 03:42:10 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #124 - 11/30/16 at 20:12:49
Post Tools
snits wrote on 11/30/16 at 19:08:58:
vidler is a fan of the play the tiebreaks before the classical games idea.

That's an interesting idea that I haven't considered before, and I'd be all for it I think!

Keano must be the most dramatic and opinionated chess player I know, and that's saying something! 

I have no problem with Carlsen playing game 12 like he did.  He's trying to win the match, and he should do everything within the rules that he thinks will maximize his chances of winning and minimize his chances of losing, whether that looks exciting or not.  It's like American football teams that purposely take a Safety because they'd rather their opponent gain only 2 points but have poor field position, instead of trying to punt from their own endzone and potentially giving up a touchdown.  Or running very pedestrian offenses to run time off of the clock at the end of a game.  It's just smart match strategy, not unsporting or anything of the sort.

IP Logged

snits

Reply #123 - 11/30/16 at 19:08:58
Post Tools
Sounds like Svidler is a fan of the play the tiebreaks before the classical games idea.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #122 - 11/30/16 at 18:33:43
Post Tools
Scarblac wrote on 11/30/16 at 10:39:16:
Also, the wider, non-chess playing public has no idea that some games are more boring than others, they care about the scoreline and that Carlsen walked away angrily from a press conference. The footage of that made world wide news, not any moves.

For the general public the actual chess content, the time control etc are completely irrelevant.

Excellent point. This is probably true, but a bit sad all the same. Not sure much can be done about it.

At least interesting games do matter to those who love the game, to keep us enthralled. And all these enthusiast are just as important for the future of professional chess as current, wider public interest.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #121 - 11/30/16 at 18:17:49
Post Tools
IsaVulpes wrote on 11/30/16 at 08:20:15:
From what I'm seeing, the Chess WCh is the one(!) thing that still attracts the public about chess - it lands on the front page of various newspapers etc, while the rest of the year every year chess just "doesn't exist".

You're planning to throw away 140 years of history and the most prestigious title in the chess world, to kill off the one thing that the public cares about at all in chess, due to waning public interest. I don't feel like that'd go over too well?

IF there is a problem, then IMO not with the match format, but with classical time controls as a whole - which isn't really a new statement, and might very well be true!
.. But I believe there are many better ways of accomodating that than turning the WCh into a WorldCup-type diceroll.

Well, if everything is fine and there's no problem there's no need to change it, of course. I'm not arguing for change for its own sake, only if the lack of interest and/or exciting chess is seen as a problem (now or in the future).

Sure, the public cares mostly about the world championship, but that could be more because it's the world championship than because it's necessarily a match. Was there really less media interest in the few round-robin championships that have been held (San Luis 2005, Mexico City 2007 and The Hauge/Moscow 1948)? That's my preferred format (not some World Cup style diceroll), because I believe it leads to the most fighting chess. Though there is a price to be paid in terms of randomness/luck that I know many find unacceptable.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #120 - 11/30/16 at 16:11:53
Post Tools
I seriously doubt if Carlsen was worried about that - Black can't enforce randomness on a chess game without taking huge objective risks, and especially not vs the way Carlsen plays.

I've seen it suggested that he might have been worried about getting into trouble over pressing which does make some sense. He did that twice in the match.

IP Logged

emary

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #119 - 11/30/16 at 15:14:23
Post Tools
Before game 12 Carlsen had to fear that Karjakin would try to reach a position where the outcome is as random as tossing a coin.
This seems very reasonable against a stronger opponent. Carlsen would have no chance to fight back.
To avoid that scenario Carlsen had to revisit carefully his complete 1.e4 repertoire - not an easy task.

On the other hand Karjakin seems to be convinced to be able to compete with Carlsen on equal terms  in the tiebreak.
So from his point of view he had no reason to take any risks with black in game 12.

Therefore game 12 appears completely logical to me and no contestant is to blame.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo