Latest Updates:
Poll
Poll closed Question: Who will win the 2016 World Championship?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

Magnus +3    
  7 (11.5%)
Sergey +3    
  0 (0.0%)
Magnus +1-3 (regulation)    
  44 (72.1%)
Sergey +1-3 (regulation)    
  4 (6.6%)
Tie. Magnus wins the tiebreak    
  4 (6.6%)
Tie. Sergey wins the tiebreak    
  2 (3.3%)
The match goes unfinished...    
  0 (0.0%)

Total votes: 61
« Created by: Smyslov_Fan on: 11/08/16 at 08:35:54 »
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) 2016 World Championship Match (Read 57894 times)
Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: 2016 World Championship Match
Reply #13 - 11/11/16 at 10:43:49
Post Tools
Hello:
If you don't want to register and pay for the official site are there any other options to watch with commentary. Chess24 I think but you probably have to pay their too?
Thanks.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #12 - 11/10/16 at 12:30:12
Post Tools
12 games is nothing. Ridiculous.

IP Logged

Jonathan Tait

Reply #11 - 11/10/16 at 10:37:00
Post Tools
...if only they played proper length matches nowadays; 12 games isn't enough.

blog inspired by Bronstein's book, but using my own games: http://200opengames.blogspot.co.uk/
IP Logged

Novadruid
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 11/10/16 at 04:36:08
Post Tools
No idea what's going to happen. I'm just going to enjoy watching it.

The WCh match, will always be my favourite event to follow in chess. I love that feeling that I'm watching chess history unfold before my eyes.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 11/09/16 at 21:33:28
Post Tools
What time are the games?
Thanks.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #8 - 11/09/16 at 19:12:01
Post Tools
This seems to have disappeared from the top of the pile, so I'll bump it.

Judging by the poll, I shoulda broken down Carlsen's winning edge into more categories.

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #7 - 11/08/16 at 08:35:54
Post Tools
Who will win the World Championship this November?

IP Logged

Smyslov_Fan
God Member
Correspondence fan

Progress depends on the
unreasonable man. ~GBS

Reply #6 - 11/08/16 at 08:29:40
Post Tools
I'll see about setting up a poll, but it's early in the morning on Election Night (the reason I'm not asleep). I'll get to it in the next day or so.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Reply #5 - 11/06/16 at 02:37:43
Post Tools
Two very interesting preview from two very different GMs:
1) GM Alex Colovic http://www.alexcolovic.com/2016/11/carlsen-karjakin-wch-2016-preview.html He predicts a +1 =11 -0 for Carlsen retaining the title.
The big takeaway from his preview:
Quote:
I expect a highly technical match with a lot of draws. I wouldn't be surprised if all 12 games end in a draw. My impression is that Karjakin will be cynical in playing openly for a draw (and I hope I'm very much wrong about this). His idea - to put pressure on Carlsen by getting the match to the later stages when Carlsen might lose patience and try something harsh and then Karjakin would strike from the counterattack. And if that doesn't happen then obtain the boasting rights of having drawn a World Championship match against Carlsen (at least the classical part).

2) GM Danny Gormally
http://www.gingergm.com/blog/carlsen-vs-karjakin-who-will-prevail I like Gormally's preview. But his prediction is very similar to Colovic's:
Quote:
In an effort to stand out from the crowd I made some comments on Facebook saying I think the match would be closer than many people think - saying that perhaps only Magnus would just edge it.

Some nice lines form the preview:
Quote:
In my view Karjakin is such a highly trained player that he’s almost robotic, and at times his play lacks imagination.
The problem that Karjakin faces is that everything he does well, Carlsen does well too. Karjakin is a good grinder, Carlsen is an even better grinder. Karjakin is an excellent defender, Carlsen’s defensive skills are out of this world.

Finally here is GM Ian Rogers' very comprehensive guide (plus baking guide) to the Match:
https://new.uschess.org/news/the-couch-potatos-guide-to-the-world-chess-champion...
BTW, Ian has suggested that the best post-game videos will probably be on Chess.com.

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #4 - 11/04/16 at 13:05:50
Post Tools
I generally prefer watching the official commentary due to VideoFeed of the players.
Will probably end up switching around, depending on who is commentating at the moment & whether a group is on break or similar.
Have the other official commentaters been announced yet? I only caught J.Polgar a while ago.

Curious to see if Karjakin will stick to his "dubious Queen's Indian" against Magnus -
I don't think a matchplan against Carlsen of all people CAN be built around playing slightly worse endgames for 100 moves in every game;
Doesn't sound like it'd ever end well, no matter how tenacious a defender Karjakin is.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 11/04/16 at 12:03:53
Post Tools
I think we have to expect a far bit of Karjakin grimly defending bad positions. If he can do that well enough - and he was brilliant at it when winning that FIDE K/O thing - then it could get very close.

Chess24 coverage will be a very fine thing to have.

IP Logged

chk
God Member

a pawn is a pawn

Reply #2 - 11/04/16 at 10:08:12
Post Tools
I always like WCHs! (and chess24 so that blends well).

Difficult to choose a side here as I always liked both Carlsen and Karjakin, but hope to see some complicated Sicilians!

"I play honestly and I play to win. If I lose, I take my medicine." - Bobby

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 11/04/16 at 07:27:12
Post Tools
Thanks for starting the thread. I wonder what players on here think about who will win, etc. This is Carlsen's third final already but the first against one of the younger generation.

Are Lawrence Trent and Nigel Short doing the commentary anywhere? They are very entertaining.

IP Logged

GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

2016 World Championship Match
11/04/16 at 06:32:26
Post Tools
I am surprised no one has started a thread on this as yet. So here goes. Will post more details and where to watch later (especially in the light of uncertainty due to actions by Fide's private contractor, AGON). Someone wants to start a poll?

Just came across this on Chess24: https://chess24.com/en/read/news/chess24-win-moscow-case-announce-new-york-line-...
Quote:
In the run-up to the event the Commercial Court of the City of Moscow has resoundingly rejected Agon’s 20 million rouble lawsuit against chess24 for broadcasting the moves of the Candidates Tournament in March.

More on the court case on Chess24. Interestingly, from the brief glance at the judgment, looks like the case was ran as a competition law case and not IP case.

If everything turns out fine, I will very likely watch on Chess24, especially with the following line-up:
Peter Svidler, Jan Gustafsson, Eric Hansen, Robin van Kampen and Fiona Steil-Antoni
« Last Edit: 11/04/16 at 12:56:08 by GabrielGale »  

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo