Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The world has come to an end (Read 8423 times)
AndyFeng35
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: The world has come to an end
Reply #15 - 08/28/23 at 18:25:44
Post Tools
Wait, what is this topic about?  Grin

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #14 - 12/15/16 at 13:51:44
Post Tools
The amazing thing is that only 55% of voting age citizens voted. What does a difference in the popular vote of 3 million matter if over 100 million didn't vote at all?

In states that don't matter now because it's clear who's going to win, a lot of people don't bother to vote. If
the popular vote was all that mattered, you'd get a much higher turnout.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #13 - 12/15/16 at 13:20:01
Post Tools
The number of representatives per state (and therefore its electoral votes) is rebalanced every ten years based on current population.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #12 - 12/15/16 at 08:22:29
Post Tools
Now it is clear that Clinton got almost 3 million more total votes.
She got 2nd heigest total votes in USA history, only beated by Obamas first win.

One other problem with electors systems is that population has increased in USA but in heiger rates in some states and lower rates in others.
This mean that the number of elector votes per state is getting less propotional to reflect population for every election that takes place.

IP Logged

Knight
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 11/28/16 at 03:25:07
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 11/23/16 at 14:35:36:
Now I read that there are some sorts of statistical impossible voting patterns when comparing districs with electronical voting machines and districs using paper votes in three states that Trump won and if Hillary had won in these states she would have won the enough elector votes.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were some outside influence in the voting process. Cyber attacks are becoming big around the world and from the sounds of it, the voting computers were none too secure. Anyone with a USB stick could have put a virus or some other malware on them. All it would take is an organised external country to pay people with access to these machines and get them to make a few tweaks to the way data was collected.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #10 - 11/23/16 at 14:35:36
Post Tools
Now I read that there are some sorts of statistical impossible voting patterns when comparing districs with electronical voting machines and districs using paper votes in three states that Trump won and if Hillary had won in these states she would have won the enough elector votes.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #9 - 11/22/16 at 03:23:06
Post Tools
Knight wrote on 11/22/16 at 02:25:52:
There are no perfect voting systems but in the case of the president, the US system seems particularly bad. I understand why it is the way it is - not letting the bigger states dominate the smaller ones, but now there is still a system where a small number of states that dominate in terms of importance.

It seems unfair indeed that your vote doesn't matter at all unless you live in a potential swing state. And doesn't it encourage the candidates to ignore local issues in "safe" D or R states?

I read somewhere about a very simple solution to combining these goals (democracy and state rights): Keep the electoral vote system, but assign each state's electors proportionally based on the statewide vote. So Florida's 29 votes could be spilt 15 R - 14 D instead of 29 R, etc. I haven't done the math, but I presume Hillary would have won this way.

That said, I'm not sure I understand why state rights should be an issue at all when it comes down to an essentially binary choice, as these presidential elections do. Why not let the nationwide popular vote decide? The states are well enough represented in the house and senate.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Knight
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 11/22/16 at 02:25:52
Post Tools
bragesjo wrote on 11/17/16 at 14:27:54:
My point was that candiadate A can become president dispite that candiate B can get more than twice as many total votes.
1% more votes in state can also be even lower. I can be as low as 1 single vote more and you get all elector votes.
So lets say 1 single vote more in the minimun number of states to get the neccessary elector votes (each state has different number of elector votes) and not a single vote in all other states and one becomes president.

There are no perfect voting systems but in the case of the president, the US system seems particularly bad. I understand why it is the way it is - not letting the bigger states dominate the smaller ones, but now there is still a system where a small number of states that dominate in terms of importance.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #7 - 11/17/16 at 14:51:33
Post Tools
In Sweden our system is not perfect either.
We use some sort of quation formula that sometimes has the side effect that one can gain by having less votes and lose by having more votes.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #6 - 11/17/16 at 14:27:54
Post Tools
My point was that candiadate A can become president dispite that candiate B can get more than twice as many total votes.
1% more votes in state can also be even lower. I can be as low as 1 single vote more and you get all elector votes.
So lets say 1 single vote more in the minimun number of states to get the neccessary elector votes (each state has different number of elector votes) and not a single vote in all other states and one becomes president.

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 11/17/16 at 12:00:30
Post Tools
30% is easy. 26% is the usual mark - its FPTP in all of the regions so 51% of the vote in those to get the votes there, then you need 51% of the regions. Don't need any other votes Smiley

Of course, they're not even using single transferable vote or anything, so if you include a hypothetical third/fourth candidate it can go a lot lower.

We're well used to FPTP in the UK and it really isn't a great system. Terrible at times.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

CCE at ICCF 2021 and CCM
at ICCF 2023

Reply #4 - 11/17/16 at 11:10:03
Post Tools
I dont think is that bad yet, we will have to wait and see how Trump will act as president. Lets give him a chance first. And it can become much much worse.

The funny thing about United States voting system is that you can become president even througt the opponent gets much more votes. It happend to Al Gore and now is happend to Clinton. I read somewhere that it is possible to become president with only 30% of all total votes but I am no shure how they calculated that. However in theory you can get 1% more votes than the opponent in a minimal number of states and dont get a single vote in the other states and still become president.  A funny factor is that the voting system is dependent on where the vote is given so if a number of Clintons voters and a number of Trump voters had lived in different states Clinton might have won.

IP Logged

AntonioAg
YaBB Newbies

I love hotchicks.com!

Reply #3 - 11/10/16 at 16:49:12
Post Tools
Dont cry before they hit you OP, Trump(this is what we are talking about right?!!!)hasnt done any change on America, maybe he just said all of those extremist things to become famous. Maybe...

IP Logged

AntonioAg
YaBB Newbies

I love hotchicks.com!

Reply #2 - 11/10/16 at 16:45:29
Post Tools
Europeans? More like anyone who knows about WW1/WW2 knows it can be much worse. (That is what you are talking about right?)
Or more like anyone who has basic history knowledge knows it can be much worse, AKA Mao Zedong, Crusades, Stalin and his gulags, Spain conquering America etc...

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #1 - 11/10/16 at 09:27:04
Post Tools
You Americans thought so.
Europeans who know their 20st Century history know it can become much, much worse.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo