Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Classical Slav Repertoire Book Options (Read 2898 times)
Kubi

Practice makes perfect

Re: Classical Slav Repertoire Book Options
Reply #3 - 12/10/16 at 16:07:48
Post Tools
Since my post, I started to study both books, although I spend more of my Slav-study time with Avrukh book.
Avrukh book covers more side-lines and looks more comprehensive while Vigus book contains more verbal prose, which is more precious at times for a mundane 2000+ player like myself. Also Vigus book contains some interesting lines, which are not included in Avrukh book.
I want to give an example.
Below is a line from Main Line Slav Geller Gambit:
1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nf3 Nf6 4.Nc3 dxc4 5.e4 b5(starting position of main line Slav Geller Gambit; black holds on to the c4 pawn whereas  white has center and dynamics in return) 6.e5 Nd5 7.a4 e6 (we reach the tabiya of the line) 8.axb5 Nxc3 9.bxc3 cxb5 10.Ng5 Bb7 11.Qh5 g6
Now, Avrukh here considers only 11.Qg4 (Avrukh book page 267) while Vigus cleverly mentions about the possibility of 11.Qh3 (Vigus book page 117) and says "12.Qh3 invites a draw by repetition with 12...Be7 13.Qh6 Bf8 14.Qh3. I suggest instead 12...Qd5 !, focusing on the important points g2, e6 and c4."
Why is so ? Possibly because 11.Qg4 is white's strongest move and I assume according to Avrukh white must always play for an opening edge due to their 1st move advantage. If white is angling for a draw we can be happy about it because we are black.
Although that might be true in a perfect world, we all know there are some situations where a white player might be very happy with a draw while we might feel like pressing for full point due to ELO gap, tournament situation or god-knows-what-other-reason-there-might-be.
So, as mentioned by commentators here, both books have their advantages and studying them both seems a better option for me.

IP Logged

BadDays
YaBB Newbies

aspiring patzer

Reply #2 - 11/25/16 at 14:37:39
Post Tools
I'm not familiar with the Vigus book, but Avrukh's book is (as you would expect) excellent. It is a repertoire book, so in addition to the main lines, it contains recommendations against the exchange, 4.Qc2, 4.g3, etc. The analysis is very thorough and probably more up-to-date than Vigus's. The only question is who's recommendations you prefer.

IP Logged

TD

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #1 - 11/25/16 at 11:21:07
Post Tools
In my humble opinion (I am a 1900+ player) Vigus' book is not outdated. I still use some of his repertoire. The good thing is that both books have (much) different repertoires, so you can choose which lines you like or vary between the (two) options. I think both books are very good.

IP Logged

Kubi

Practice makes perfect

Classical Slav Repertoire Book Options
11/25/16 at 10:57:36
Post Tools
Hello everybody,
I plan to return playing tournament chess after giving a few years break.
I will play main line Slav against 1.d4. Previously I was studying James Vigus's Play The Slav book. Doing a small search, I noticed Avrukh produced a book on the line.
Is Vigus book outdated so I shall start directly studying Avrukh book ?
Or, are both books OK to study for having versatile lines in my repertoire ?
Any insights are appreciated.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo