Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Just starting the Sveshnikov. Best book? (Read 10965 times)
kylemeister
God Member

Re: Just starting the Sveshnikov. Best book?
Reply #12 - 12/30/16 at 20:48:32
Post Tools
CanadianClub wrote on 12/29/16 at 13:33:06:
Everybody played the routine moves: h3, d3, castle...so no problems at all.

Huh, moves like that against 4...bc?  That seems indicative of a basic lack of understanding ...

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #11 - 12/30/16 at 07:20:27
Post Tools
Intrigued!
You cannot remember any info on the YouTube vids at all? I just had a wee look round, but nothing leapt out as matching what you say, alas. Possibly (likely?) me being a bit thick. Could you possibly be so good as to give us further clues, or a URL? Thanks if you can!

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #10 - 12/29/16 at 13:33:06
Post Tools
In the Rossolimo, there are different interesting variations, imho. Just pick one of them and specialize on it, because it just pays off.

Nowadays I play "according to Rotella" (3...Nf6), but some time ago I was playing like this 1.e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3.Bb5 g6 (intending 4.Bxc6 bxc6) according a serie of 3 youtube videos (of 10-12 min each) I downloaded, very well explained. I don't know the name of the author (he has a clear american English accent) because I recorded only the vids not the comments nor the author and when I were searching again the vids... it was impossible to find. I have them in my HD, so no problem. Everybody played the routine moves: h3, d3, castle...so no problems at all.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #9 - 12/29/16 at 08:20:26
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 12/29/16 at 07:46:53:
As Paddy notes, yes, 3. Bb5 can be a pain, hmmm. Probably the positions taking inwards (bxc6)  rather than taking outwards (dxc6) are easier to play (whatever the computer might say), so consider the recommendations in the QC antis book by Kotronias, with 3...d6. Gotta be practical.

I seem to recall a CBM article in recent months about a trend in favor of the old-school (1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 g6 4. Bxc6 bc) recapture.  Maybe this relates to an opinion of Kramnik which I believe I read in NIC some years ago,  that 4. Bxc6 is "a very strange move" ...?

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #8 - 12/29/16 at 07:46:53
Post Tools
I'd go for the Kalashnikov instead. For pragmatic reasons. It amazes me that the variation is still little known at lower levels, even some twenty five years and more after it originated.

It is a very good choice as white players regularly go wrong early.  A great practical weapon. It helped me earn me money earlier this year!

As Paddy notes, yes, 3. Bb5 can be a pain, hmmm. Probably the positions taking inwards (bxc6)  rather than taking outwards (dxc6) are easier to play (whatever the computer might say), so consider the recommendations in the QC antis book by Kotronias, with 3...d6. Gotta be practical.

IP Logged

Paddy
God Member

The truth will out!

Reply #7 - 12/28/16 at 21:39:07
Post Tools
When starting to play B33 a couple of years ago, I found the most useful author to be Mikhail Krasenkow. His book is rather old now but the explanations and model games are terrific. He's also done a DVD which has been marketed with the ridiculous title of "The Psycho Sveshnikov". The first section of this, on plans, uses very primitive technology and looks a bit 'mickey-mouse'; I wasn't at all impressed, but I persevered and in the end I thought this was just a great learning tool.

Having had a series of only drawing against lower rated players who all played the line 9 Nd5 Be7 10 Bxf6 Bxf6 11 c4, and also some uncomfortable games vs the Rossolimo, I finally gave up B33 and switched to the Classical (via 2...d6 usually - I find facing the Moscow rather less daunting than the Rossolimo).

Before anybody mentions it, yes, I know you can also try to reach the Sveshnikov via 2...e6, but that brings its own set of different problems.

Of more recent sources, I prefer Kolev & Nedev (& Spasov, allegedly) to Kotronias (great author that he is), since he seems primarily interested in proving that Black is OK, rather than using B33 as an attempt to reach double-edged positions with winning chances.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 12/28/16 at 18:52:57
Post Tools
I think the anti-Sicilian part is quite true for all games starting 1. e4 c5 nowadays, not just at club level. Lots of stuff to prepare for even if you don't get to play the main lines. I have started to look at other things against 1. e4 to have a second defense in case I get tired of the non-open lines.

Anyway, I have the books mentioned above, and I agree that Rotella's book is very good. I also use Experts on the Anti-Sicilians and Kotronias Beating the Anti-Sicilians, together with Fighting the Anti-Sicilians by Palliser to form a complete repertoire against the Antis.

As a starter, there is also John Cox's Starting out, which is a bit old, but contains a lot more explanation.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #5 - 12/28/16 at 16:09:25
Post Tools
@CanadianClub Apologies, I'd overlooked the part of your earlier post regarding anti-Sicilians and I inadvertently reiterated what you'd already said.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Reply #4 - 12/28/16 at 15:27:22
Post Tools
Of course the book was "The Easiest Sicilian", by Kolev and Nedev.

Before Toni Rotella's book on the Kalashnikov I was using this to get a repertoire against the anti-sicilians. Toni's is better, imho. As easy to follow as Kolev's, but more complete.

But yes, my mistake.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #3 - 12/28/16 at 13:34:29
Post Tools
The Easiest Sicilian (by Kolev and Nedev, I think), not The Sharpest Sicilian, is the repertoire book about  the Sveshnikov. The Sicilian Sveshnikov, by Kotronias, is another repertoire book, and it's more up-to-date and more thorough. Both of these contain relatively little discussion of ideas and themes. An older book worth considering is Easy Guide to the Sveshnikov Sicilian (Aagaard) (published 2000), which has a very good section on themes and ideas. However, you might find it a bit thin on theoretical detail and it is, of course, likely to be outdated in parts. The very best work on this opening, though, IMHO, is Rogozenko's The Sveshnikov Reloaded from 2005. It is not a repertoire book, so it covers everything, including lots of interesting sidelines that never became fashionable but which are nonetheless very playable.
On a more general note, just so that you're aware what a mammoth task you're taking on, my guess is that, at 1900 Elo, considerably less than half of your 1.e4 c5 games are going to end up as Sveshnikovs, so, even after you've worked your way through all your Sveshnikov stuff, there will still be tons to do to have a viable defence to 1.e4. You will face plenty of 3.Nc3s and lots of Rossolimos, not to mention all the Closed Sicilians and 2.c3s, and you're going to need to have something ready against those.

IP Logged

Pingudon

Hi chess friends!!

Reply #2 - 12/28/16 at 12:13:45
Post Tools
CanadianClub wrote on 12/28/16 at 11:28:52:
I strongly reccomend this two books:

The Sharpest Sicilian
Georgiev,Kiril & Kolev,Atanas

The Killer Sicilian
Rotella,Tony

The first one in on the Sveshnikov. The second one is on the Kalashnikov (the brother variation of the Sveshnikov: less known by White players, less theory to learn, less acceptable variations for White if they want to go out of main lines...  so a best practical option). Both are good and both coves anti-Sicilians. You are going to play more Rossolimo's than Sveshnikov/Kalashnikovs, so... you need something against them.

Salut,

Hi Canadian Club! But the sharpest sicilian is about the Najdorf. But I could be wrong

GTalk  
IP Logged

CanadianClub

Reply #1 - 12/28/16 at 11:28:52
Post Tools
I strongly reccomend this two books:

The Sharpest Sicilian
Georgiev,Kiril & Kolev,Atanas

The Killer Sicilian
Rotella,Tony

The first one in on the Sveshnikov. The second one is on the Kalashnikov (the brother variation of the Sveshnikov: less known by White players, less theory to learn, less acceptable variations for White if they want to go out of main lines...  so a best practical option). Both are good and both coves anti-Sicilians. You are going to play more Rossolimo's than Sveshnikov/Kalashnikovs, so... you need something against them.

Salut,

IP Logged

Pingudon

Hi chess friends!!

Just starting the Sveshnikov. Best book?
12/27/16 at 22:31:31
Post Tools
Hi! I have played several defenses. French, Carokann... But know a friend convinced me to try the Sveshnikov. What book do you think is best. My ELO is 1900 over the board. Thanks a lot.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo