Latest Updates:
Normal Topic slav triangle for white (Read 5072 times)
TN
God Member

Re: slav triangle for white
Reply #6 - 03/07/17 at 13:39:37
Post Tools
You probably have to go 4.e4 to avoid being move ordered. As Rene notes, 4...dxe4 5.Nxe4 Bb4 6.Nc3 is a more challenging try nowadays than the old main line 6.Bd2, although I wouldn't say White has more than a tiny edge - the Triangle is pretty respectable if Black is willing to play the Semi-Slav against most Nf3 setups.

All our dreams come true if we have the courage to pursue them.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #5 - 03/06/17 at 19:04:53
Post Tools
You need to learn a line with 4.e3.  If you don't want ultra-sharp Meran stuff, you might like 4.e3 Nf6 5.Nf3 Nbd7 6.Qc2.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #4 - 01/24/17 at 10:33:35
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 01/23/17 at 20:47:26:
This belongs in the Semi-Slav section.

Agreed, I've just moved it.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #3 - 01/23/17 at 20:47:26
Post Tools
This belongs in the Semi-Slav section.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #2 - 01/21/17 at 04:00:12
Post Tools
After 1.d4 d5 2.c4 c6 3.Nc3 e6, if you play 4.Nf3 you already allow one of the highly theoretical lines where Black gets a flotilla of mobile pawns on the queenside with ...dxc4 and ...b4 against your big center (the Noteboom. Others in this category are the Botvinnik, Anti-Moscow, Tolush-Geller gambit in the Slav, and Burgess's "cunning" g3 gambit line--all pretty hair-raising and requiring a good memory).

So to preserve your existing start and avoid giving Black options that will involve you in heavy theory, you have three basic paths: (1) play 4.e3 (discouraging ...dxc4 by setting up an immediate bishop recapture), followed up with something like Watson's b3--this is the strongest of your options theoretically, though nothing special. (2) play the Marshall "White equalizes" line 4.e4 dxe4 5. Nxe4 Bb4+ 6.Nc3 (as Carlsen did in a WC match to neutralize Anand's Triangle), or (3) play the even weaker early QGD exchange with cxd5 exd5.  Black doesn't even have to go into a normal "toothless" Exchange here, but can play ...Bd6 and ...Ne7; but then White has no reason not to play e4 and is ok. Anyway, fairly often it should transpose into a familiar early-Nf3 toothless QGD Exchange with ...Bf5, which you're already playing when you run up against the Alatortsev. Great instructions on how to play this equal line are in the large chapter on Keith Arkell in Sadler's Chess for Life.

The Triangle after Nc3 has a devilish quality.Your 3.Nc3 really offers Black his best chance to try to force you into the sharpest stuff. That's the price you pay for going for the good QGD Exchange. You could improve the Triangle situation by dropping the good QGD Exchange and playing 3.Nf3 instead of 3.Nc3, going for non-exchange QGD main lines (or just the Arkell Exchange). That would allow more serious positional Anti-Triangle options, like 4.Qc2, which is covered in Sherbakov. Of course, it will  affect your entire repertoire.

This is one of the biggest messes in all of theory. If you want an aerial view of the whole complex family, the Exeter Chess Club has a good page on it with an ECO-style chart relating the various named lines.
« Last Edit: 01/21/17 at 17:46:24 by ReneDescartes »  

IP Logged

gd6595
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 01/20/17 at 22:31:01
Post Tools
Let me rephrase my question, what are all my options for that move order?

IP Logged

gd6595
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

slav triangle for white
01/20/17 at 22:24:46
Post Tools
With the white pieces, I have been playing exchange slav with 5.Bf4. I also enjoy playing QGD exchange with white and play both modern and Carlsbad.

I am reluctant to learn mainline slav or semi. I have never tried the Marshall Gambit and would have to learn from scratch. Against Alatrotsev's Be7,  I play Nf3 and hope to reach Carlsbad.

With that said, what would be the logical way for me to play against the triangle 1.d4 d5 2.c4 e6 3. Nc3 c6 ?

Should I roll the dice and exchange hoping for an exchange slav and if cxd, learn to play Bf4 lines?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo