Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Yusupov’s 9 Book Series (Read 66180 times)
pawngrabber
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Yusupov’s 9 Book Series
Reply #75 - 12/09/17 at 13:56:19
Post Tools
I know this isn't a complete solution, but I use chessify android app to OCR all of the puzzles and then save as PGNs.  I slice and dice them where I have PGNs for each book, one PGN for all 'tactics' chapters from all books, and one PGN for all 'endgame' chapters from all books.

This way I can take the PGNs on my phone and do drills here and there, like in-between meetings at work.  It's also nice to be able to do a puzzle at 'random' (not knowing the theme of the chapter, so you don't know what you are supposed to be looking for).

This is a good supplement to, but not a replacement for, the method of studying recommended by Artur in the introduction of the books -- studying each chapter as a 'lesson' with a board, moving all of the variations on the board, and writing down all of your variations when solving the exercises.

IP Logged

tp2205

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #74 - 12/08/17 at 02:56:56
Post Tools
BigTy wrote on 12/08/17 at 00:54:30:
Does anyone know if QC plans to release this series on ForwardChess? I would love to have the books in paper, but as someone who is living abroad and moving fairly often, hauling around another 9 books on top of the 15 or so chess books (not to mention some books on other things) I have already is kind of impractical.

As far as I remember Yusupov did not agree to that.

IP Logged

BigTy

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #73 - 12/08/17 at 00:54:30
Post Tools
Does anyone know if QC plans to release this series on ForwardChess? I would love to have the books in paper, but as someone who is living abroad and moving fairly often, hauling around another 9 books on top of the 15 or so chess books (not to mention some books on other things) I have already is kind of impractical.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #72 - 12/07/17 at 19:05:49
Post Tools
The main thing is the hardcovers stay open when laid flat on a table.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #71 - 12/07/17 at 07:05:30
Post Tools
Gerry1970 wrote on 12/07/17 at 04:35:23:
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 12/04/17 at 03:52:13:
Is the binding quality good for the soft cover editions? The only Quality Chess book I have is the Ftacnik one on the Sicilian Defense and the first couple pages are very loosely secured to the binding.

I am very hard on books as I open them flat as a pancake. Press hard on them in multiple sections to force this to happen. So I had a problem with a few pages coming loose in one of 3 books.

I am usually not hard on my books, and still the GM6 fell apart. I got a new copy for free, though.

But I also think I had pages falling out in one of Marin's volumes as well. I think QC had some problems with the soft covers for a while, and changed binding (company or method, don't know).

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #70 - 12/07/17 at 04:35:23
Post Tools
Is the binding quality good for the soft cover editions? The only Quality Chess book I have is the Ftacnik one on the Sicilian Defense and the first couple pages are very loosely secured to the binding.

I am very hard on books as I open them flat as a pancake. Press hard on them in multiple sections to force this to happen. So I had a problem with a few pages coming loose in one of 3 books.

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #69 - 12/07/17 at 04:19:21
Post Tools
I have seen things written about this that say:
1) books have been shown to experts and they were surprised that they found some of it difficult - very much paraphrasing, sorry; and
2) there is something in the orange books for everyone.

But I could not provide sources if asked - sorry.

Gerry

Stigma wrote on 12/02/17 at 16:50:53:
So Revision and Exam 1 is exercises for just the three easiest books.

As great as I'm sure they are, a lot of the material in these Yusupov books is certain to duplicate other books/material in my oversized chess library, so If I ever get to them I plan on skipping at least the first three. The revision book(s) could tell me whether that's deluded!

IP Logged

pawngrabber
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #68 - 12/06/17 at 16:53:43
Post Tools

I have studied mine heavily, throw them around in my briefcase often, and they haven't started falling apart yet.  I don't have Ftacnik but I have a whole lot of recent softcover quality chess books and print quality is outstanding.

IP Logged

pawngrabber
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #67 - 12/06/17 at 16:48:46
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 11/28/17 at 03:21:57:
Are there any recommendations in the books for an opening repertoire, or advice on how to pick openings?

There are chapters on openings, including many titled something like "A repertoire for white against the french defense", but I think the real idea behind them is teaching you how to study openings, and the basic themes behind them.

Just off the top of my head, the openings covered are:

As white:
Four knights (4. d4 I think)
Closed Sicilian
Advance French
Caro Kann Panov
then with d4 (later in the green books, after teaching all the e4 openings) he goes into colle zukertort, petrosian KID, and grunfeld russian system.  No coverage of d4 with c4 as white, except vs grunfeld and KID.

As black:
Petroff, then French (Winawer)
QGD Lasker's Defense
QGA

If you look at Yusupov's games himself, he was fond of the queen's pawn game (d-pawn specials in chesspub terminology), especially the zukertort, but playing c4 against indians and sometimes slav, and as black the petroff, french, and QGD Lasker.  So he pretty much preaches what he practiced.

I agree that openings aren't the important part of the book, and pretty much any openings would be fine for anyone studying this series.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #66 - 12/04/17 at 03:52:13
Post Tools

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #65 - 12/02/17 at 16:50:53
Post Tools
dfan wrote on 12/02/17 at 13:47:36:
Quote:
Also, I noticed that it's called Revision and Exam 1. Does that mean more are coming?

I believe that is the plan. There is not even a German version of a blue exercise book yet, though.

All my information about the German books comes from http://www.jussupow.de/22982.html.

So Revision and Exam 1 is exercises for just the three easiest books.

As great as I'm sure they are, a lot of the material in these Yusupov books is certain to duplicate other books/material in my oversized chess library, so If I ever get to them I plan on skipping at least the first three. The revision book(s) could tell me whether that's deluded!

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #64 - 12/02/17 at 13:51:52
Post Tools
It's clear that Yusupov offers openings that are reputable if equal and that his side can more or less force. He offers advice elsewhere. He is relatively free of dogmatic opinions about this topic. Suit your style, etc., is the kind of thing he says.

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #63 - 12/02/17 at 13:47:36
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 12/02/17 at 12:29:39:
In the vlog that Aagaard did with Yusupov about his series, Yusupov said that he prefers for people to read the revision and exam book after the three fundamentals books. Was the German edition of the revision and exam book published as book 4?

It was published as Tigersprung auf DWZ 1500 Übungsbuch (exercise book), a few years after the original nine-book series was published.

Quote:
Also, I noticed that it's called Revision and Exam 1. Does that mean more are coming?

I believe that is the plan. There is not even a German version of a blue exercise book yet, though.

All my information about the German books comes from http://www.jussupow.de/22982.html.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #62 - 12/02/17 at 12:29:39
Post Tools
In the vlog that Aagaard did with Yusupov about his series, Yusupov said that he prefers for people to read the revision and exam book after the three fundamentals books. Was the German edition of the revision and exam book published as book 4?

IP Logged

dfan
God Member

"When you see a bad move,
look for a better one"

Reply #61 - 11/28/17 at 13:00:59
Post Tools
There are opening repertoire chapters, but honestly they're the least useful part of the series. They consist of a summary of the themes, a few games with lots of variations, and the usual 12 puzzles which sometimes illustrate the themes but sometimes are just regular chess puzzles that happen to arise from that opening.

I don't recall seeing any particularly interesting advice on picking openings.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo