Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Yusupov’s 9 Book Series (Read 66158 times)
BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Yusupov’s 9 Book Series
Reply #90 - 03/18/18 at 03:11:31
Post Tools
Did Yusupov check his solutions with a computer? I'm not so sure. In the solution to Ex. 3-11 on page 41 of Build Up Your Chess 1, he says 10...Na5 is bad due to 11.Qa4+. 10...Na5 might be bad but it's definitely not due to 11.Qa4+. After 11...Bd7 12.Qxa5 b6 13.Qa6 e4, Black gets his piece back and is clearly better, probably winning.

I like this book but I hate coming across simple refutations like this. Actually you don't even need a computer to see this line. It should be pretty obvious, especially to a world-class GM.

IP Logged

doefmat

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #89 - 03/12/18 at 10:08:05
Post Tools
How fast do you guys repeat a chapter after scoring bad?
Can you learn from an exercise when you already saw the solution?

Chesspub; where people devote their whole life to find novelties on move 26 just to blunder on move 27

IP Logged

Gerry1970

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #88 - 01/23/18 at 05:40:48
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 01/23/18 at 01:47:34:
I remember reading Reinfeld's 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and  Combinations book and thinking I wished he had listed the games that the positions had come from (I recognized some, but not too many). Well, Yusupov does list them. Now, his presentation might not be your editorial preference. But dishonest? Geez. Seems no good deed goes unpunished.

Agree - really like that he gives the players. It helps me appreciate the beauty in these game positions. I also notice that certain players that we have seen shown up getting hammered by some top player in the past in some famous position also had some beautiful wins themselves!

Also I think Yusupov normally does a very good job of saying something like "variation from game" - except in this case maybe.

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #87 - 01/23/18 at 01:47:34
Post Tools
I remember reading Reinfeld's 1001 Winning Chess Sacrifices and  Combinations book and thinking I wished he had listed the games that the positions had come from (I recognized some, but not too many). Well, Yusupov does list them. Now, his presentation might not be your editorial preference. But dishonest? Geez. Seems no good deed goes unpunished.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #86 - 01/22/18 at 06:06:17
Post Tools
IM_Serious wrote on 01/22/18 at 04:35:03:
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 01/22/18 at 01:22:27:
On page 18 of Build Up Your Chess 1, Yusupov gives a position from the game Berliner - Rott, 1956, but the variation he gives isn't how the game proceeded.

Yusupov demonstrates that Berliner's combination is sound.

Mott actually blundered mate in 2, but many editors would remove such details from a training manual.

The variation Yusupov gives is also a mate in two, just not the mate in two that was actually played. So there's no good reason why he didn't give the actual mate that was played.

IP Logged

IM_Serious

Bibliophile

Reply #85 - 01/22/18 at 04:35:03
Post Tools
BobbyDigital80 wrote on 01/22/18 at 01:22:27:
On page 18 of Build Up Your Chess 1, Yusupov gives a position from the game Berliner - Rott, 1956, but the variation he gives isn't how the game proceeded.

Yusupov demonstrates that Berliner's combination is sound.

Mott actually blundered mate in 2, but many editors would remove such details from a training manual.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #84 - 01/22/18 at 01:22:27
Post Tools
On page 18 of Build Up Your Chess 1, Yusupov gives a position from the game Berliner - Rott, 1956, but the variation he gives isn't how the game proceeded. I find this to be dishonest. If he had mentioned it was an analysis variation, that's fine, but to present it as the actual game continuation is misleading and makes no sense. If he wants to create his own variation, why even credit the players of the game? Just don't give any names then and present it as a random puzzle.

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #83 - 01/15/18 at 11:59:56
Post Tools
IM_Serious wrote on 01/10/18 at 23:14:06:
This interesting subject probably deserves a separate topic of its own.

Anyhow, here's a link to an open-source project which achieves the aim:

github.com/maciejczyzewski/neural-chessboard

This is only for an Apple device.  Cry

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

IM_Serious

Bibliophile

Reply #82 - 01/10/18 at 23:14:06
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 01/10/18 at 19:58:07:
No, while in New York viewing the recent world championship I think I remember seeing a rig near the cafe area of the venue with a fixed camera mounted more or less above an ordinary plastic set in use, and it was getting the moves in pgn or whatever. A small crowd was around it. Maybe an experimental demo of something not released? I didn't pay much attention, but I remember thinking "cool, soon no expensive DGT board."

This interesting subject probably deserves a separate topic of its own.

Anyhow, here's a link to an open-source project which achieves the aim:

github.com/maciejczyzewski/neural-chessboard

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #81 - 01/10/18 at 19:58:07
Post Tools
No, while in New York viewing the recent world championship I think I remember seeing a rig near the cafe area of the venue with a fixed camera mounted more or less above an ordinary plastic set in use, and it was getting the moves in pgn or whatever. A small crowd was around it. Maybe an experimental demo of something not released? I didn't pay much attention, but I remember thinking "cool, soon no expensive DGT board."

IP Logged

Gorath

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #80 - 01/10/18 at 18:38:16
Post Tools
QC probably magnified the issue by changing the naming scheme. In the editions directly controlled by Yusupov the titles are (transl.) "Tiger's Jump to XXX Vol. 1/2/3"
XXX=
1500 -> orange books
1800 -> blue
2100 -> green

The book you mentioned should be 1800 II, which is still a second book in the series.

IP Logged

BobbyDigital80

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #79 - 01/04/18 at 10:19:59
Post Tools
The intro to Boost Your Chess 2 says that it’s the first volume in a series for players wishing to build the foundations of their chess. Uhh... That’s exactly what the Build Your Chess 1 book says. As if the titles and publication dates weren’t confusing enough, they also have mistakes in the intros. Why would a book with the number 2 in the title be the first in a series...

IP Logged

pawngrabber
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #78 - 12/10/17 at 23:02:18
Post Tools
Yeah that verbiage is dumb.

The ability to scan a 3D board, without some google-level learning database, is not really feasable.  I expect they have that blurb there for hype-building purposes, and aren't anywhere close to actually having this implemented (the android app that I use does not have it).

If this feature did exist, it would be pretty useful to get a quick engine evaluation of a position in the skittles room, or when analyzing with your friends at a bar.

i don't really see it being useful for cheaters though.  Standing over the board and lining your phone up just right before you take a picture, then checking and verifying that the translation happened correctly, has got to be suspicious.

I think people that want to cheat just have some covert communication mechanism, or simply have their accomplice memorize the position and plug it into a laptop in some covert area or something.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #77 - 12/10/17 at 06:54:12
Post Tools
pawngrabber wrote on 12/09/17 at 13:56:19:
I know this isn't a complete solution, but I use chessify android app to OCR all of the puzzles and then save as PGNs.  I slice and dice them where I have PGNs for each book, one PGN for all 'tactics' chapters from all books, and one PGN for all 'endgame' chapters from all books.

A tangent: I wasn't aware of Chessify and had a look at the features listed on their website (http://www.chessify.me/). The section on 3D recognition raised an eyebrow:

Quote:
The real chess board scanner is a result of our latest research in a field of Artificial Intelligence. Powerful 3D recognition software was created using state-of-art technologies of Deep Learning. It provides users ability to scan real chess board and get the digitised board on their phone. Using our advanced tool during chess tournaments will make possible to follow the game and livestream analysis simultaneously. Being first in it’s field 3D chess board scanner is going to be one of the strongest and useful tools in the world!

It's difficult to read this as anything other than a blatant invitation to cheating. Why else would you want to go and scan a current game position on a board during chess tournaments and compare it with "livestream analysis"? In fact, merely by bringing a smartphone into the tournament hall, and certainly by keeping it turned on, you're likely in breach of the FIDE rules.

So how about taking pictures of the board while a game is in progress, and OCR-ing positions while keeping a livestream running? Have these people slept through every single cheating scandal in the past decade?!

I'm sure it's otherwise a great product; thinking of getting it myself. But they need to rewrite that section on 3D recognition, and maybe consider dropping this functionality altogether. Though I can see some uses for it in training, i.e. to quickly store positions of variations I've calculated (stepping stones, end points of variations, etc.)  for future reference.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je

Reply #76 - 12/09/17 at 17:28:42
Post Tools
If you have the .pgn files, you can import them into Chess Position Trainer and used spaced reinforcement to drill them (though not on a phone).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo