Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is this forum dying? (Read 86715 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: Is this forum dying?
Reply #101 - 07/07/17 at 09:28:03
Post Tools
I've added a new board for recent tournaments, and I've reordered everything - is it better? Any comments, positive or negative, would be most welcome!

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #100 - 07/06/17 at 15:14:51
Post Tools
E.g

General
Openings
Current and Historicl Events
Other

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #99 - 07/06/17 at 09:39:41
Post Tools
OK, I will add a new section and re-order the sections (General Chess first, then Openings?). Questioning
Any suggestions for the new section's name (Tournaments, Recent Events,...)? Anyone willing to Moderate PM me, please.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #98 - 07/05/17 at 08:49:45
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 06/29/17 at 14:42:26:
One thought: I don't know that it would lead to more use, but some "stickied" threads in certain areas might help.

I can do this, too, if anyone has any ideas for useful threads that could be 'stickied' please let me know. Smiley

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #97 - 07/05/17 at 08:48:27
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 07/03/17 at 16:37:23:
Speaking of the current big events, it might be nice to have an area of the forums devoted exclusively to current events.

Sounds like a good idea, anyone against? I can set it up and then move all the older tournament threads over from General Chess.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #96 - 07/04/17 at 20:57:37
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 07/03/17 at 16:37:23:
Well the corollary question would be: can we (or Tony) do anything that would encourage members to post more?  This doesn't have to be a fruitless discussion.

Speaking of the current big events, it might be nice to have an area of the forums devoted exclusively to current events.  Someone like Tony could just start a thread at the beginning of a big tournament to encourage people to discuss.  This is on sub-forum that I'd be in favor of!

I had thought a couple of months ago of starting some threads in the General topics area for the big tournaments, but due to my forgetfulness didnt actually do so. Happy to get the ball rolling until we have a sub forum for it.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #95 - 07/03/17 at 16:37:23
Post Tools
Well the corollary question would be: can we (or Tony) do anything that would encourage members to post more?  This doesn't have to be a fruitless discussion.

Speaking of the current big events, it might be nice to have an area of the forums devoted exclusively to current events.  Someone like Tony could just start a thread at the beginning of a big tournament to encourage people to discuss.  This is on sub-forum that I'd be in favor of!

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #94 - 07/03/17 at 14:39:12
Post Tools
I would like to echo LeeRoth's post.
E.g two major events in Paris and in Leuven and not a single post with any analysis (including me) what so ever.

That said I also would like to say that there is no wrong in changing the direction of the site/posts. In my experiene in other social areas I usually find it difficult to return to something that "has been". It usually fails.

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #93 - 07/03/17 at 13:34:40
Post Tools
Because it takes work.  Or guts.  Or time.  If you post some analysis, there's a good chance it will go unanswered.  But ask people which way they point their Knights, and the members are happy to chime in.  The forum tracks how many times a post is viewed.  Lots of people are reading the posts, they just don't respond to them. 

Respectfully, its not a question of "why," it's a question of willingness.  We all have individual reasons why we might not post for a while.  But on the whole, the forum is what, we, the members make it.  We're not paying for this content.  There's no paid professional out there to create content for us while we all sit back and passively consume.  We need to create the content for ourselves. 

You want to spruce up the place a bit, that's fine.  I'm in favor.  But making cosmetic changes or improving the search function doesn't do anything to solve the fundamental lack of analysis problem.  And sprucing up the place won't do anything at all if people aren't willing to particpate in the first place. 

We need just all need to get back to doing that again.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #92 - 07/03/17 at 00:31:19
Post Tools
I think the question, Lee, is why members aren't posting enough.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #91 - 07/01/17 at 22:20:28
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 07/01/17 at 17:41:37:
I'm getting tired of this whole discussion.  The forum is what we, the members, make it.  People aren't creating enough useful content for you?  Then get out there and do it yourself.  Post some analysis for discussion, respond to somebody else's post instead of just lurking, engage in a bit of give and take, and stop worrying that your playing level isn't high enough.  The forum isn't dying because of computers, beginner's questions or the sub forums.  It's dying because the members dont post enough.  Angry

Very good. But you getting tired of the discussion doesnt really mean anything. And your statements either.

Some very good points have been raised here by various members and we should really continue the discussion.

@tony good to here we may get the google site search back.

on the sub forums I strongly believe they are a negative but I have an open mind. I can see the advantage if there was heavy traffic. But without that, and google site search available, cannot really see the attraction. Bottom line is there are way too many negatives than positives on that.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #90 - 07/01/17 at 17:41:37
Post Tools
I'm getting tired of this whole discussion.  The forum is what we, the members, make it.  People aren't creating enough useful content for you?  Then get out there and do it yourself.  Post some analysis for discussion, respond to somebody else's post instead of just lurking, engage in a bit of give and take, and stop worrying that your playing level isn't high enough.  The forum isn't dying because of computers, beginner's questions or the sub forums.  It's dying because the members dont post enough.  Angry

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #89 - 06/30/17 at 13:37:28
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 06/28/17 at 16:26:07:
I also agree with Taljechin that I became tired of reading the same questions over and over and over...

I get more tired of reading the same answers over and over and over...

Where is the FAQ? On chesspub it could consist almost entirely of "What's a good line for a(n) (lazy | ambitious) , (positional | tactical) player against xyz opening?" and the followup, "What's the best (book | dvd | web resource)?". Yes, I know the answer to the second one should just be "chesspub", but it still gets asked a lot. (* see below)

Then we could go back to the future, answering the newbie questions with the snarky RTFM.

(* thinking some more on this) One of the problems with a paywall is that people on the other side don't know what they are missing. The FAQ might be a good place to give a truncated line, saying something like "our GM covered this line in an update, giving x games." You could also mention a critical move out of the blue (no context). People who know about the critical move will understand that it is covered, and want the update. People who don't know about the critical move will buzz about the internet asking "what is the line they are talking about on chesspub?".

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #88 - 06/29/17 at 15:07:32
Post Tools
IsaVulpes wrote on 06/28/17 at 13:11:10:
I don't think it would hurt to delete some of the truly dead subforums (say, the Tango one, or perhaps the French Exchange doesn't need one, and maybe the Pirc/Modern subforums should get fused, ..)

Actually I was planning to go through the Exchange French lines, so it looks like I had better hurry.

All classification systems have their quirks. Just pick one and stick with it. It's okay to move stuff occasionally if the current system makes no sense, but too much of that would be worse than putting up with the quirks.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #87 - 06/29/17 at 14:42:26
Post Tools
One thought: I don't know that it would lead to more use, but some "stickied" threads in certain areas might help.  For instance, for those oft-asked questions such as "how do I get better at chess?" or "how do I learn to play the Sicilian?".  It would take some work, but some of those older threads could be combined and stickied to the top of the relevant forums, so that newcomers don't come and start new threads every year or so.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo