Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is this forum dying? (Read 87226 times)
LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: Is this forum dying?
Reply #41 - 06/04/17 at 13:46:33
Post Tools
Nickajack wrote on 06/03/17 at 03:27:39:
GMTonyKosten wrote on 06/02/17 at 08:57:49:
Nickajack wrote on 05/30/17 at 23:37:59:
If I may make an interesting suggestion, a way to reinvigorate the discussions would be to have some of the titled contributors start new topics from time to time on time-saving (new or old) pet lines they recommend in various openings. After all this is a paid site, so it wouldn't be asking too much, I hope.

Sometimes some of them do post here, although it is quite rare. In the past we actually had problems because certain members couldn't resist arguing (trolling?) with some of the GMs who posted.
This is a free Forum, of course, and was originally setup to allow subscribers to discuss chess and chat with each other. Limiting this forum to subscribers turned out to be a bad idea, though, as there wasn't much traffic.
I could pay some of the writers to post here, I suppose, if I thought it would bring much more traffic, but I think the main problems are that there are so many other ways to discuss chess now (Facebook, for instance), and that it is so much easier to use a strong engine to analyze a position than to ask for other players' opinions on a forum.

Engines are not good at all at explaining the thoughts and aims behind the moves. Wink There is still room for strong humans' commentary, especially in the opening - the engines' weakest phase of the game.

I agree.  There is too much emphasis on engine evaluation.  Even assuming the silicon beast is right, does it really matter at amateur level if Fritz thinks a position is 0.21 in favor of White?  I still have to be comfortable in that position and know what to do. 

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #40 - 06/04/17 at 06:38:04
Post Tools
I read the forum all the time, though I rarely write in it. I'm sure there are many lurkers like me out there. I'll try to contribute more from now.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #39 - 06/04/17 at 04:36:19
Post Tools
I also disliked the change to the sub-forums, which seemed to coincide with a drop in usage.

IP Logged

dom
God Member

Reply #38 - 06/03/17 at 17:07:08
Post Tools
I have been chess lazy myself for at least two years.
In that forum and in real life too.
I do more mathematics nowadays than chess.
Potatoe couch, watching chess videos on U2be.
But I can revive myself at any moment, if some good players start playing interesting French openings Smiley

“Learn from the mistakes of others. You can never live long enough to make them all yourself.”  - Groucho Marx

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #37 - 06/03/17 at 11:27:39
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 06/03/17 at 03:52:06:
You shouldnt have to pay writers Tony- John Cox used to post here, Richard Palliser and others.

True, chessplayers are often quite happy to post here when they are trying to advertise their books (!) but I really meant the ChessPublishing.com writers.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #36 - 06/03/17 at 03:52:06
Post Tools
Sometimes some of them do post here, although it is quite rare. In the past we actually had problems because certain members couldn't resist arguing (trolling?) with some of the GMs who posted.
This is a free Forum, of course, and was originally setup to allow subscribers to discuss chess and chat with each other. Limiting this forum to subscribers turned out to be a bad idea, though, as there wasn't much traffic.
I could pay some of the writers to post here, I suppose, if I thought it would bring much more traffic, but I think the main problems are that there are so many other ways to discuss chess now (Facebook, for instance), and that it is so much easier to use a strong engine to analyze a position than to ask for other players' opinions on a forum.

You shouldnt have to pay writers Tony- John Cox used to post here, Richard Palliser and others.

Maybe just mention to the main contibutors - it would be welcome to post some thoughts in the forum now and again. especially if you are keen to hang on to your column  Wink

IP Logged

Nickajack

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Reply #35 - 06/03/17 at 03:27:39
Post Tools
If I may make an interesting suggestion, a way to reinvigorate the discussions would be to have some of the titled contributors start new topics from time to time on time-saving (new or old) pet lines they recommend in various openings. After all this is a paid site, so it wouldn't be asking too much, I hope.

Engines are not good at all at explaining the thoughts and aims behind the moves. Wink There is still room for strong humans' commentary, especially in the opening - the engines' weakest phase of the game.

Dubious, therefore playable Undecided

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #34 - 06/02/17 at 09:01:56
Post Tools
Dink Heckler wrote on 05/29/17 at 14:09:14:
If I want to see what's happening in the Open Sicilian, I need to click into 6 different sub-fora

Not really, you should see a different icon in the sections where there are recent posts that you haven't seen, if there is nothing new for you the circle with a dot in it is greyed out. Wink

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #33 - 06/02/17 at 08:57:49
Post Tools

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #32 - 05/31/17 at 17:12:31
Post Tools
One more vote here against the sub-forums.

IP Logged

Nickajack

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Reply #31 - 05/31/17 at 00:23:27
Post Tools
Even so, more ChessPublishing titled contributors posting here would be a boon for the forums and a welcome addition, and not to mention, would encourage more subs to the paid site if handled properly.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #30 - 05/30/17 at 23:58:53
Post Tools
After all this is a paid site, so it wouldn't be asking too much, I hope.

The forum is seperate from ChessPublishing itself, no?

IP Logged

Nickajack

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Reply #29 - 05/30/17 at 23:37:59
Post Tools
I'm new here, but I remember these forums being more vibrant in the past.

This could have the effect of sparking useful debates on the pros and cons of various lines, uncover holes in analysis, point out transpo tricks, etc, and make the forums a lot more enjoyable to both read and participate in for just about everyone.

What do you think? All we need is a few sparks, imho.
Smiley

IP Logged

Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Reply #28 - 05/30/17 at 15:48:49
Post Tools
JEH, thanks for setting me straight. I think Tony also steered me in this direction when I kvetched about this before.

Ultimately, it's not how I want to interact with the forum. I want to click into a forum and see what's up since I last visited. Put me in the 'old man yells at cloud' category, if you like.

At any rate, traffic is down. This may be a contributing factor, it may not.

EDIT: as far as I can see, if we all use RSS, the forum basically becomes Listserv - so we're going back to prehistoric times.
« Last Edit: 05/31/17 at 14:28:50 by Dink Heckler »  

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #27 - 05/30/17 at 11:25:27
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 05/29/17 at 15:09:50:
Personally I use the RSS Feed to keep track of new updates.

Yes, me too, it doesn't really matter if you like the 'sub-fora' or not, it's always easy to keep a check on what's going on all over the Forum. Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo