Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Is this forum dying? (Read 87271 times)
RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Is this forum dying?
Reply #56 - 06/19/17 at 19:29:20
Post Tools
LeeRoth wrote on 06/19/17 at 18:43:00:
I don't like the sub-fora, but I don't think that's the problem.  Stefan identified the problem in another thread.  The reason that activity has declined is because people don't post moves.   Cool

I like the sub forum (and if we dropped them and saw the forum grow in popularity again would we think of bringing them back?), but also agree with Stefan's comments. The quality of the discussion in previous years has been fantastic. Get a little bit more of that back and i'm sure many of the once regular posters would come back and maybe some new faces too.

Not all traffic would be welcomed - i'm sure we have seen some of the content in threads on other popular chess forums we wouldnt want to see replicated here.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #55 - 06/19/17 at 18:43:00
Post Tools
I don't like the sub-fora, but I don't think that's the problem.  Stefan identified the problem in another thread.  The reason that activity has declined is because people don't post moves.   Cool

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #54 - 06/19/17 at 15:30:27
Post Tools
The subforums are superfluous at best and are just am unneeded indulgence for those people with mild forum OCD and organizational obsessions.

They may not be the cause of the paucity of postings but they are not helping and do nothing to bring more people into the buffet.

They need to be flushed along with a general retooling of the site if change is really going to effect a boost in users and posts.

Cross-pollination with other chess sites seems a good option to achieve the desired results but this also requires allowing them a platform for advertising their wares as well.... could be mutually beneficial though.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #53 - 06/19/17 at 14:02:12
Post Tools
I think it was @Gorath in a post before that suggested "Standard practice when forums have less activity than expected is closing all slow sub-forums" so I took it for granted he was right as most of his post made pretty good sense to me.

If that is not the case then I stand corrected....

From a personal point of view I used to post quite often on various openings but somehow dont anymore, and I think part of the reason is that I have to stop and think which sub forum I should be posting in. Which for the number of posts going on should not really be required. It sounds silly but thats modern life, those seconds of your life will be lost and meanwhile you've turned on the news.

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #52 - 06/19/17 at 12:27:30
Post Tools
Yes, increasing traffic is "the most important".
If you were to provide 'irrefutable proof' that reducing the count of subforums would accomplish that, I'd happily go through with it (despite disliking it personally).

I am unsure why exactly that is supposed to happen, though - 
Do you imagine there to be hordes of people that enter Chesspub, thinking "I really want to engage in deep discussion about the theoretical significance of Caruanas 15.Rg1 against the Najdorf PP",
who then look at the main page, go "Wow, that's a lot of subforums, nah, not doing it", and leave?

I truly don't know why closing subforums is supposed to be helpful in any way, at all.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #51 - 06/19/17 at 09:46:10
Post Tools
I think the point is to increase traffic, it seems there are personal preferences both ways, but surely thats the most important?

IP Logged

Göran

ChessPublishing is great!

Reply #50 - 06/19/17 at 06:34:04
Post Tools
Completely agree with IsaVulpes and Stigma. Further I think it is much easier now to find what new posts I am interested in.

What kind of proof is that?

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #49 - 06/19/17 at 03:30:29
Post Tools
I haven't commented on this because I don't have a strong opinion about it either way. There are both advantages and disadvantages to the subforums.

I liked ChessPub the way it was, and I still like it the way it is now!

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Marcellus

Reply #48 - 06/18/17 at 22:36:06
Post Tools
Likewise, completely agree with IsaVulpes, et al.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #47 - 06/18/17 at 22:04:04
Post Tools
Quote:
This is a consensus based on only a handful of people's views, and possibly reached in part because people who are happy with things as they are do not bother to say so, whereas those who are dissatisfied are more likely to make their views known (this phenomenon has a name, but I can't think off the top of my head what it is).
I agree with the points made by IsaVulpes: as things stand, I find it much easier than before to locate the posts that interest me without having to wade through those that don't. I fail to see what benefit would derive from doing away with the sub-forums, however little work this might entail.

I totally agree. You just beat me to it.

IP Logged

Seeley

Reply #46 - 06/18/17 at 21:43:26
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 06/18/17 at 19:58:41:
The consensus seems to be that it would be a good idea to remove the sub forums if I am not mistaken?

This is a consensus based on only a handful of people's views, and possibly reached in part because people who are happy with things as they are do not bother to say so, whereas those who are dissatisfied are more likely to make their views known (this phenomenon has a name, but I can't think off the top of my head what it is).
I agree with the points made by IsaVulpes: as things stand, I find it much easier than before to locate the posts that interest me without having to wade through those that don't. I fail to see what benefit would derive from doing away with the sub-forums, however little work this might entail.

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #45 - 06/18/17 at 20:40:50
Post Tools
Doesn't sound like "a big job" to me, but I'm also rather lost as to what that would be supposed to accomplish.
You can see on the mainpage which subforum has new posts, and it's not like the added subforums are cluttering something (like eg Channels in a Discord server do).

I rather like it the way it is currently - I can see that there are new posts in "Anti-Sicilians", but I can also see that those new posts are in "Morra" and "2 c3", neither of which interest me - if the subforums were removed, I'd have to click into "Anti-Sicilians", to see whether there is some discussion on my trusty Bb5 going on.

Personally, I 99% lurk, because I don't feel like I'm any good enough to post much of value anywhere (and if, then in various "General Chess" threads, not in the Theory hubs) - if someone has ideas as to what even a bad player can bring to the table, I'll gladly post more, but as of now I don't really see what I could offer this community.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #44 - 06/18/17 at 19:58:41
Post Tools
The consensus seems to be that it would be a good idea to remove the sub forums if I am not mistaken?

Would this be a big job?

IP Logged

Gorath

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #43 - 06/13/17 at 23:56:39
Post Tools
The forum really has little activity this year. Standard practice when forums have less activity than expected is closing all slow sub-forums. Moving their threads to the appropriate mother-forums concentrates the activity on a few select places.
ChessPub might be already beyond the point at which this is still helpful, though.

Paying your authors to post in the forum would be a waste of money, IMHO.

If it were my show, I would
(a) kill the vast majority of the sub-forums
(b) make sure the search funktion is state of the art, which has always been an issue at ChessPub.
(c) develop a long-term strategy to create traffic via Twitter, YouTube, Twitch, etc. I'm pretty sure this can be done for cheap, if you plan it carefully enough. Targets could be: enhancing visibility, driving traffic, sharpening the Chess Publishing brand as the go-to place for up-to-date opening theory, marketing (-> identify the 10 biggest chess YouTubers and give them a full access for 6 months in exchange for a review; of course one after the other), or for example encouraging people to interact in the forum. That's a painfully slow process, but with meaningfull activity 2 times a week on the biggest social sites, it could make things better and sell a couple of subscriptions along the way. 
(d) talk to all the big chess playing sites about creating a partner program, assuming it's not in place already. If the pie gets bigger, it's okay if others get a piece too. Wink

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #42 - 06/09/17 at 07:47:22
Post Tools
gillbod wrote on 06/04/17 at 06:38:04:
I read the forum all the time, though I rarely write in it. I'm sure there are many lurkers like me out there. I'll try to contribute more from now.

Got me!

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo