Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Book on the Samisch (Read 70056 times)
TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Re: New Book on the Samisch
Reply #27 - 06/11/17 at 20:38:27
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 06/11/17 at 00:20:10:
TopNotch wrote on 06/10/17 at 17:01:12:
Regarding 6.Bg5 c5 7.d5 e6 8.Qd2 exd5 (I think 8...h6! is more accurate here and should be preferred). Do you reach the same conclusion in your review.

How do you intend to follow up?  There are many different systems possible; Black can play a quick ...h6-h5 like Bologan recommended in his repertoire book from a few years ago.  Play is also different depending on whether Black plays ...a6 or not. 

Because of numerous transpositional possibilities, I've essentially divided the Benoni chapter into lines where Black plays ...a6 but not ...h6, ...a6 with ...h6 (but not ...h5), ...h6 and ...h5 without ...a6, etc, etc.  Move order is important; a game from the current world champion in this line contains an important nuance for White, for instance.  It's all a little confusing; see my book for details, of course!

But I think that I probably agree with you, Topnotch.

I had this kinda follow up in mind: 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 0-0 5.f3 c5 6.d5 d6 7.Bg5 e6 8.Qd2 h6 9.Be3 exd5 10.cxd5 Re8 11.Nge2 Nbd7 12.Nc1 a6 13.a4 Nxe4!=/+

Essentially if Black can play 8...h6 without any downside then he should do so, as it could win a tempo in some lines and in general provides Black with more tasty possibilities as illustrated in the above example.

Another compelling reason to play h6 on move 8 rather than 9 is that it completely neutralises Bxh6 ideas, after 9...h6 10.Bxh6 it is not 100% clear to me that Black completely equalises, whereas after 8...h6 9.Bxh6 Black has the convincing rejoinder: 9...Nxe4 10.Nxe4 Qh4+ 11.g3 Qxh6 12.Qxh6 Bxh6 13.Nxd6 Na6! = This key idea does not work if you include 8...exd5 9.cxd5 as it would be well met by Bxa6.

Kotronias' thoughts on these lines would be interesting to comment on, but that will have to wait till I have his new KID book in my hands.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #26 - 06/11/17 at 00:20:10
Post Tools
TopNotch wrote on 06/10/17 at 17:01:12:
Regarding 6.Bg5 c5 7.d5 e6 8.Qd2 exd5 (I think 8...h6! is more accurate here and should be preferred). Do you reach the same conclusion in your review.

How do you intend to follow up?  There are many different systems possible; Black can play a quick ...h6-h5 like Bologan recommended in his repertoire book from a few years ago.  Play is also different depending on whether Black plays ...a6 or not. 

Because of numerous transpositional possibilities, I've essentially divided the Benoni chapter into lines where Black plays ...a6 but not ...h6, ...a6 with ...h6 (but not ...h5), ...h6 and ...h5 without ...a6, etc, etc.  Move order is important; a game from the current world champion in this line contains an important nuance for White, for instance.  It's all a little confusing; see my book for details, of course!

But I think that I probably agree with you, Topnotch.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #25 - 06/10/17 at 17:01:12
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 06/09/17 at 17:02:14:
Stigma wrote on 06/08/17 at 19:41:04:
Kotronias' final King's Indian tome on the Sämisch and various others, from the Black side of course, is just out.

Eric, will you be able to have a look at it and (if at all necessary) squeeze in a few extra lines where the books cross paths? Book reviewers often mention this advantage of having the other book as a source when comparing books for White and for Black on the same line.

Hmmm, I'm not sure.  I submitted the final manuscript nearly two months ago, so I suspect that it's going to the printers very soon.  I could email Byron to see.  I haven't seen Kotronias' analysis yet, and it may take a little while to get my hands on it.  In the end I might not want to or need to change anything; Kotronias obviously hasn't seen my analysis, either! 

From his Table of Contents page, it looks like he goes for one of the main lines of 6.Bg5 c5 7.e5 e6 8.Qd2 ed 9.cd, but I have no idea which one.  I'm of the opinion that the best players in the world from the later 90s (back when 6.Bg5 was extremely popular, though it still has a devoted following) were correct in thinking that this is Black's theoretically best continuation.  I have a lot of improvements over older analysis from players like Sadler, Lautier, Kasparov, Dreev, etc. in my book; obviously I'm aided by strong engines, and every line was thoroughly checked, so I'm not worried.

If I can't get my hands on Kotronias' work before my book goes to publication, I'll of course be happy to discuss lines here.

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #24 - 06/09/17 at 17:02:14
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 06/08/17 at 19:41:04:
Kotronias' final King's Indian tome on the Sämisch and various others, from the Black side of course, is just out.

Eric, will you be able to have a look at it and (if at all necessary) squeeze in a few extra lines where the books cross paths? Book reviewers often mention this advantage of having the other book as a source when comparing books for White and for Black on the same line.

Hmmm, I'm not sure.  I submitted the final manuscript nearly two months ago, so I suspect that it's going to the printers very soon.  I could email Byron to see.  I haven't seen Kotronias' analysis yet, and it may take a little while to get my hands on it.  In the end I might not want to or need to change anything; Kotronias obviously hasn't seen my analysis, either! 

From his Table of Contents page, it looks like he goes for one of the main lines of 6.Bg5 c5 7.e5 e6 8.Qd2 ed 9.cd, but I have no idea which one.  I'm of the opinion that the best players in the world from the later 90s (back when 6.Bg5 was extremely popular, though it still has a devoted following) were correct in thinking that this is Black's theoretically best continuation.  I have a lot of improvements over older analysis from players like Sadler, Lautier, Kasparov, Dreev, etc. in my book; obviously I'm aided by strong engines, and every line was thoroughly checked, so I'm not worried.

If I can't get my hands on Kotronias' work before my book goes to publication, I'll of course be happy to discuss lines here.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #23 - 06/08/17 at 19:41:04
Post Tools

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

MartinC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 05/29/17 at 19:42:31
Post Tools
Top 20ish at least yes, with maybe a bit of potential to add. Like McShane I guess. Just how it is of course, better opportunities for them elsewhere.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #21 - 05/29/17 at 10:01:00
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 05/28/17 at 22:03:00:
kylemeister wrote on 05/25/17 at 05:25:23:
hmm, 2680 as a forty-something hobbyist?  Didn't really expect that one.

He's a hobbyist now, but I think that he was quite serious/professional for a while when younger.

Very much so. I think his retiring was a serious blow to our Chess Olympiad hopes. I was really surprised he gave up chess full time when he did (i was much younger and nieve then Wink ) and was a little sad as he was my favourite player at the time. I might be completely wrong, but i thought he may have been around top 20 in the world at some point?...

When i started playing chess at University, i bumped into him at a local tournament and briefly got to talk with him, he struck me as a really nice guy.

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #20 - 05/29/17 at 02:10:02
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 05/28/17 at 22:03:00:
He's a hobbyist now, but I think that he was quite serious/professional for a while when younger.

Indeed; I didn't expect his rating to be higher now than it was then.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #19 - 05/28/17 at 22:03:00
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 05/25/17 at 05:25:23:

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #18 - 05/25/17 at 05:25:23
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 05/25/17 at 00:14:16:
He's been looking like a steamroller of late, and his rating shows inexorable rise.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #17 - 05/25/17 at 01:12:00
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 05/25/17 at 00:14:16:
Do send him a note at his blog. Thoroughly nice chap, I'm sure he'll be delighted to hear about the book.
Nudge him a tad, maybe you could try him for a Foreword...?!

That's a good idea, I'll send him a note whether I solicit him for a Foreward or not.  I've learned a ton from his games in this variation over the years.

That particular game would not have made it into my book, as I only look at positions with ...Bg7 played via the King's Indian move order.  1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 c5 3.d5 e6 4.Nc3 exd5 5.cxd5 g6 6.e4 d6 7.f3 a6 8.a4 h5 9.Bg5 Be7 is unusual, though interesting.  Typical Sokolov, maybe!

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #16 - 05/25/17 at 00:14:16
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 05/24/17 at 17:17:15:
Bibs wrote on 05/23/17 at 21:22:32:
I have a half memory of strong English GM Sadler specializing in this some years ago (before his hiatus), so his games will be well worth a look.

His ideas certainly feature prominently in the book, and he's played some nice games in this line in that last few years as well.

And here is a recent one, from his blog. He's been looking like a steamroller of late, and his rating shows inexorable rise.
http://matthewsadler.me.uk/defence/lessons-4ncl-may-2017/
Do send him a note at his blog. Thoroughly nice chap, I'm sure he'll be delighted to hear about the book.
Nudge him a tad, maybe you could try him for a Foreword...?!

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #15 - 05/24/17 at 17:17:15
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 05/23/17 at 21:22:32:
I have a half memory of strong English GM Sadler specializing in this some years ago (before his hiatus), so his games will be well worth a look.

His ideas certainly feature prominently in the book, and he's played some nice games in this line in the last few years as well.
« Last Edit: 05/25/17 at 01:03:53 by ErictheRed »  

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #14 - 05/24/17 at 08:40:41
Post Tools
Exciting news indeed.  Congrats and looking forward to it.

IP Logged

Igor

Schild und Schwert der
Partei!

Reply #13 - 05/24/17 at 08:17:52
Post Tools
Bravo Eric!  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo