Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) New Book on the Samisch (Read 70121 times)
RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: New Book on the Samisch
Reply #12 - 05/23/17 at 22:09:59
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 05/23/17 at 21:22:32:
I have a half memory of strong English GM Sadler specializing in this some years ago (before his hiatus), so his games will be well worth a look.

That rings a bell. Did cox use one of Sadler's games in his d4 repertoire book in the Benoni chapter?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 05/23/17 at 22:07:39
Post Tools
ErictheRed wrote on 05/23/17 at 17:29:50:
Yes, this is my book!  I was waiting for Everyman to update the information on their website before announcing it here.

It's a complete repertoire starting with 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4, but also forms a complete repertoire against the Modern Benoni (and many other Benoni lines) by transposition.  I spend a lot of time on earlier deviations such as the 4...0-0, 5...c6, and 6...d5 system, and outline ways to play against the Modern and Pirc as well.

The recommendation is indeed my beloved 6.Bg5 in the Saemisch.  I'm not sure how detailed I want to get in this thread, but yes, I'm extremely happy with what I recommend against Benko options like 6.Bg5 a6 7.Qd2 Nbd7 intending ...c5 and ...b5.  I do not go very far down well-trodden paths there (and spend some time showing why I think White should avoid those lines).  Instead, I propose an earlier deviation that isn't mentioned at all in Bojkov's repertoire book, for instance. 

I submitted the final draft of the book about a month ago, so it's entirely complete from my end and is currently being edited and typeset, so it should be available soon.  My manuscript came to 375 pages, and while I'm not sure how big the final book will be, I want to point out that the book is dense and thoroughly researched. 

I can't wait to get a hard copy of this in my hands!

I just want to add my congratulations!

You are one of several regular posters on here who i look forward to reading when i log on, so although i dont play mainline d4 openings i will definitely be buying your book .

I have have fond memories of playing the Benoni some years ago, so that part of the book will be of interest to me and as I am back playing 1.e4, so i am keen to read up on the bits relevant to the pirc/modern. 

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #10 - 05/23/17 at 21:57:20
Post Tools
Speaking of old recollections, I guess the first time this f3+Bg5 stuff really came onto my radar screen is when Gulko used it to roll up an 18-year-old Kasparov.  The game was the subject of an instructional article in Chess Life in those days.

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #9 - 05/23/17 at 21:22:32
Post Tools
I have a half memory of strong English GM Sadler specializing in this some years ago (before his hiatus), so his games will be well worth a look.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #8 - 05/23/17 at 21:04:33
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/23/17 at 02:25:28:
Great news! Looking forward to this, surely a labor of love.

Yes, it is a labor of love. 

Often, passionate and dedicated amateurs produce wonderful works because love of their subject--not professional obligation--compels them to speak.  Readers will judge for themselves, but the few titled players who have seen it so far have been very complimentary, and I hope that this is one of those times.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #7 - 05/23/17 at 20:18:05
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 05/23/17 at 13:09:39:
Nice game!

Isn't this the line that has been called the Romanian variation or Suba variation, because it's been something of a national specialty? Don't have time to check now, but I think Marin comments on a game with it in the book Grandmaster Versus Amateur.

it's also recommended in Watson's Strategic Repertoire for White against both the KID (along with extra options) and the Modern Benoni.

Thanks - it was big fun and I was grateful for my gambit experiences.
Actually I got the idea from someone here on chesspub mentioning the line in Watson's book.
Indeed I have thought of calling it the Suba Attack. He is a GM since 1978 and that says something. I only know his name because of an article by Leon Pliester in the 1980's. Unfortunately Suba and his compatriots seems to have preferred exd5 iso cxd5 whenever they got the chance, so I'm not sure.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #6 - 05/23/17 at 17:29:50
Post Tools
Yes, this is my book!  I was waiting for Everyman to update the information on their website before announcing it here.

It's a complete repertoire starting with 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4, but also forms a complete repertoire against the Modern Benoni (and many other Benoni lines) by transposition.  I spend a lot of time on earlier deviations such as the 4...0-0, 5...c6, and 6...d5 system, and outline ways to play against the Modern and Pirc as well.

The recommendation is indeed my beloved 6.Bg5 in the Saemisch.  I'm not sure how detailed I want to get in this thread, but yes, I'm extremely happy with what I recommend against Benko options like 6.Bg5 a6 7.Qd2 Nbd7 intending ...c5 and ...b5.  I do not go very far down well-trodden paths there (and spend some time showing why I think White should avoid those lines).  Instead, I propose an earlier deviation that isn't mentioned at all in Bojkov's repertoire book, for instance. 

I submitted the final draft of the book about a month ago, so it's entirely complete from my end and is currently being edited and typeset, so it should be available soon.  My manuscript came to 375 pages, and while I'm not sure how big the final book will be, I want to point out that the book is dense and thoroughly researched. 

I can't wait to get a hard copy of this in my hands!
« Last Edit: 05/23/17 at 20:24:20 by ErictheRed »  

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #5 - 05/23/17 at 13:09:39
Post Tools
Nice game!

Isn't this the line that has been called the Romanian variation or Suba variation, because it's been something of a national specialty? Don't have time to check now, but I think Marin comments on a game with it in the book Grandmaster Versus Amateur.

it's also recommended in Watson's Strategic Repertoire for White against both the KID (along with extra options) and the Modern Benoni.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 05/23/17 at 12:13:50
Post Tools
I'd rather have a book on the Two Bishops Variation (does anyone know a better name?) 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.h3 O-O 6.Bg5 with Bd3 to follow. The nice thing is it can be played against the Modern and Old Benoni as well:

Nieuweboer,M - Almarza Mato,C [E71]
ws H/329 ICCF, 28.08.2012

1-0

In another game in the same group I played 10.Nge2 and narrowly escaped with a draw (that one began as a KID).
Or would you call a game like this "overly confrontational"?

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Straggler

Reply #3 - 05/23/17 at 07:57:27
Post Tools
I don't suppose there will be anything on 1.d4 d6 2.e4 Nf6 3.f3, à la Schandorff?

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #2 - 05/23/17 at 02:25:28
Post Tools
Great news! Looking forward to this, surely a labor of love.

@Eric, if you're reading this:

I hope you have something good against Black's attempts to play it in Benko Gambit style (6.Bg5 a6 7.Qd2 Nbd7 8.Nh3 c5 9.d5 b5 for instance).

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #1 - 05/23/17 at 02:12:47
Post Tools
I noticed that on Everyman's publishing schedule maybe a few weeks ago.  6. Bg5, no doubt ...

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

New Book on the Samisch
05/23/17 at 01:49:33
Post Tools
https://www.amazon.com/Opening-Repertoire-Saemisch-Kings-Indian/dp/1781944016/re...

Somehow this author sounds super familiar...like something in brain is flashing red...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo