Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) old indian gambit (Read 7929 times)
mn

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: old indian gambit
Reply #4 - 05/31/17 at 05:53:25
Post Tools
It's probably not too horrible, but not especially good either. I remember something similar being discussed in the Yrola/Tella "Explosive" book (might've been 1 d4 d6 2 Nf3 Bg4 3 c4 e5!?/?!).

Anyways, I think you're underestimating the liveliness of the Queenless middlegame: everything's still on the board but the Queens, and White has made a serious concession in the form of c2-c4. If you really want to avoid this sort of thing, I'd advise staying away from the 1...d6/2...e5 move order altogether.

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #3 - 05/31/17 at 05:13:29
Post Tools
It's a true gambit, not like that shamefully misnamed Queen's Gambit  Wink. By true gambit, I mean there's real risk involved!

Black certainly gets some compensation for the pawn, especially with c4 just being a wasted tempo. Hard to say if it's enough, but if White goes exd you've got 3 tempos and an open center for it.

Since when playing for a win with Black I'd go 3. ..de (it's one of my best scoring Black lines), I might only consider giving this a punt for blitz or fun  Cheesy

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Nickajack
YaBB Newbies

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Reply #2 - 05/31/17 at 02:54:02
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 05/31/17 at 01:00:09:
It's bad. That's the reason it's not played.
Black drops a pawn for nothing. Black playing for a loss more than the win there.

[Well, one can always play 3..dxe5 and allow the harmless Queen swap, but that can dry up the winning chances.]

It's the Portuguese gambit, now I remember its name. It may have been introduced and/or popularized by some master(s) in Portugal back in the 1990s.

I wonder why you think it's so bad. Would you accept or decline the gambit? (I assume 'accept', since you think it's bad) Black does get a lead in development and lively play, so against a surprised opponent I would like my chances as the better prepared player. I'd play it against players in the 1900-2150 Elo range, when going for a win.

Dubious, therefore playable Undecided

IP Logged

Bibs
YaBB Moderator

Reply #1 - 05/31/17 at 01:00:09
Post Tools
It's bad. That's the reason it's not played.
Black drops a pawn for nothing. Black playing for a loss more than the win there.

IP Logged

Nickajack
YaBB Newbies

Yabba Dabba Doo!

old indian gambit
05/31/17 at 00:18:21
Post Tools
1. d4 d6 2 c4 e5 3 dxe Nc6!? avoiding the Q trade and playing for a win with black. What do you think? (No idea what it's called.)

Undecided

Dubious, therefore playable Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo