Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Is a tablet enough? (Read 1389 times)
GabrielGale

Who was Thursday?

Re: Is a tablet enough?
Reply #2 - 06/08/17 at 06:49:14
Post Tools
@Wolfsblut,
I think it really depends on what you want to do and achieve.
1) read chess books - ensure your fav chess book reader is available on Android;
2) play through chess games and from database, update repertoire - ensure your player and database is available on Android. And that your repertoire is in format avail on Android. Note that Chessbase is not avail in Android.
3) use chess engines - how fast, accurate engine evaluations depends on how powerful your tablet is. Tablets ranged from AUD75 - AUD300. I bought one for AUD49 just to play with but mainly to do the puzzles from Convekta/Chess King. For that purpose it is sufficient.
I had to get another tablet around AUD100 with Windows installed to run Chessbase and watch CB videos.
Also engines require a GUI - which GUI are you intending to use? is it avail on Android?
Lastly, consider battery life. If you are using this whilst travelling on transport, consider whether battery will last. Might have to invest in power bank as well. Note that using chess engines will dramatically drain battery!!

http://www.toutautre.blogspot.com/
A Year With Nessie ...... aka GM John Shaw's The King's Gambit (http://thekinggambit.blogspot.com.au/)

IP Logged

mn

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Is a tablet enough?
Reply #1 - 06/07/17 at 22:28:44
Post Tools
Probably.

Although, I don't think chess considerations should really be the deciding factor in such a decision.  Tongue

IP Logged

wolfsblut

I Love ChessPublishing!

Is a tablet enough?
06/07/17 at 18:44:05
Post Tools
Hi,
I' am thinking about buying a computer (Windows) or a tablet (Android). My rating is about 2200 and I have a stabile opening repertoire. In the future I will just look at databases to update my repertoire and read chess books. Also I want to analyse my games with a good engine. Is a tablet and Android enough for my goals?
Tanks for your time

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo