Latest Updates:
Normal Topic The Berlin Defence Unraveled by Bernal (Read 4428 times)
h4rl3k1n
YaBB Newbies

FM

Re: The Berlin Defence Unraveled by Bernal
Reply #4 - 03/01/18 at 10:17:21
Post Tools
nestor wrote on 06/11/17 at 09:12:38:
As a 2000ish OTB player I find the balance of text and analysis to be pretty good, particularly as this isn't an opening where you live or die by forced tactical sequences. I also appreciate the author sometimes concluding that (e.g.) White is a bit better but Black should hold, rather than asserting that Black has equality everywhere.

As a 2200ish OTB player who has taken up 1. e4 only recently I approve this. I have been using this book in order to get to know the Berlin for three months now and I am satisfied. The whole Berlin seems to be devoid of joy, but then again, I have been grinding Caro-Kann endgames happily for years. It's not a repertoire book but a thorough explanation of the Berlin for both sides. This book is clearly written for reference.

The editing is indeed somewhat sloppy, but the physical copy was shipped with an errata sheet. Moreover, the editing errors are only a minuscule inconvenience. I do not concur with calling it unreadable.

IP Logged

nestor

Reply #3 - 06/11/17 at 09:12:38
Post Tools
My first impression is much closer to Ametanoitos' than to Fedalio's.

I agree with Fedalio that the errors he has identified are sloppy, but without real consequence. The observation about avoiding 19 (as it should have been) ...Bd4 is a bit harsh; the author is clearly advising White to avoid giving Black an unnecessary additional option, rather than asserting that the option is better. More to the point, I have the book in front of me, and it's eminently readable and not riddled with typos.

Ametanoitos refers to an absence of deep analysis, and from the perspective of a very strong correspondence player that is perhaps fair. As a 2000ish OTB player I find the balance of text and analysis to be pretty good, particularly as this isn't an opening where you live or die by forced tactical sequences. I also appreciate the author sometimes concluding that (e.g.) White is a bit better but Black should hold, rather than asserting that Black has equality everywhere.

IP Logged

Fedalio
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 06/10/17 at 23:23:04
Post Tools
I have looked at PDF and Forward Chess excerpts, as well as physical book in store.

Like Ametanoitos my first impression was favourable, but on further inspection passed as I fear the book's typesetting/editing makes it unreadable.

1/ In the Forward Chess sample, in the chapter list a lot of Bishop symbols are replaced with Rooks (e.g. 4....Rc5 lines instead of Bc5). This in itself is not such a big deal, other than it perhaps reveals the typesetting/editing is flawed. Curiously these errors are in the physical copy I saw, but not the PDF extract on the NewinChess website.

2/ When I looked at the sample on the Forward Chess website in Ch4 there is the comment after move 19 "20 Nxb6 immediately was more accurate, avoiding 20....Bxd4"

This is exactly the same as on p30 of the PDF extract/physical book, so is not an error in conversion process.

I assume this should refer to move 19 and not 20, and like the table of contents is a sloppy error without real consequence. But there was no text at all on why Bd4 was better, which was disappointing.

I have not gone through the book in detail, but worry this might be the tip of the iceberg and the editing of the book is deeply flawed and could render it unreadable in places. For this reason I decided not to purchase-since the book seemed to be more ideas based than theory, I will stick to Cox's book for Quality Chess.

But otherwise a pity as at high level it looked an interesting book.

IP Logged

Ametanoitos
God Member

The road to success is
under construction

Reply #1 - 06/09/17 at 13:51:04
Post Tools
I got it in forwardchess. My first impression was good. I haven't checked the lines systematically, but the sections i looked at didn't have any deep analysis. I liked the organisation. After a brief look at each chapter it was very easy to understand what are the challenges set by both sides, which are the critical lines and what is the assesment. Also the chapter organisation seemed nice. I liked that. I wish my own books had such clarity.

But as i said, this was just the first impression.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

The Berlin Defence Unraveled by Bernal
06/09/17 at 08:32:43
Post Tools
Has anyone read this recent book on the Berlin from New in Chess, and, if so, what is your opinion?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo