Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Current topical variations? (Read 6555 times)
ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Re: Current topical variations?
Reply #9 - 07/20/17 at 16:03:38
Post Tools
I don't know the reason for the delay, but I'm now hearing early September.  Unfortunately I don't know whether the ebook release will be concurrent, or whether it will lag some, but I'll keep everyone posted.

IP Logged

Scarblac

Chess Addict

Reply #8 - 07/20/17 at 11:54:46
Post Tools
Any idea when your book will be released, especially the ebook version?

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #7 - 07/19/17 at 22:48:36
Post Tools
I'm sure that the Samisch variation is going to become hugely popular again in the next few months Wink.

IP Logged

exigentsky

Q

Reply #6 - 07/18/17 at 23:03:04
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 06/29/17 at 15:59:56:
I always kind of got the vibe when studying the KID deeply that the Fianchetto and Samisch were reasonable practical choices for players who like those lines, but aren't as theoretically challenging as the Classical Mar Del Plata lines. Black players generally don't mind playing those they lines because in practical they get what they want, but I honestly believe they're probably also White's best try for legitimate edges. Runner up goes to the fashionable h3 lines as well.

Yes, I agree. I play the fianchetto variation because I have a lot of respect for Black's position and don't think I can get much even with the more challenging lines. Thus, I try to get a tiny edge through more space.

Of course, some White players prefer more challenging options to play for the full point. If you're really good tactically too, I can see the appeal. One of the things I like about the fianchetto variation is that it's more positional and Black can't effectively attack White's king in most variations.

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #5 - 06/29/17 at 15:59:56
Post Tools
I always kind of got the vibe when studying the KID deeply that the Fianchetto and Samisch were reasonable practical choices for players who like those lines, but aren't as theoretically challenging as the Classical Mar Del Plata lines. Black players generally don't mind playing those they lines because in practical they get what they want, but I honestly believe they're probably also White's best try for legitimate edges. Runner up goes to the fashionable h3 lines as well.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 06/29/17 at 02:14:10
Post Tools
proustiskeen wrote on 06/28/17 at 19:43:29:
What do you consider to be the most topical / 'hottest' variations for White in the KID?

The Rumanian Variation 1.d4 Nf6 2.c4 g6 3.Nc3 Bg7 4.e4 d6 5.h3 O-O 6.Bg5.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

BadDays
YaBB Newbies

aspiring patzer

Reply #3 - 06/28/17 at 22:48:40
Post Tools
When I was looking at the KID recently I felt that the Saemisch, Fianchetto, and Classical 9.Ne1 lines were the most challenging. I believe Kotronias considers the Gligoric (Be2 and Be3) and Makogonov (h3) variations to be the other critical systems. My impression was that the Bayonet is mostly declawed by the 9...a5 line.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #2 - 06/28/17 at 20:42:16
Post Tools
I'm looking at Bayonet and MDP 9.Ne1 because I play them as white, and I have looked at some Samisch lines because of 3.f3 transpo ideas out of the Grunfeld. My non-blitz knowledge ends there. Smiley

The Be2 + Be3 suggestion is good. Topical and something I can use for comparision as I suspect it wasn't when Kotronias (and Bologan and Pavlovic) were writing their books. Thanks!

IP Logged

CarriedbyGg

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 06/28/17 at 20:12:15
Post Tools
I would also add the Be2-Be3 line played by Sokolov in his match against Van Foreest, probably.

And as always, Bayonet right?

IP Logged

proustiskeen
God Member

Hello from Omaha!

Current topical variations?
06/28/17 at 19:43:29
Post Tools
What do you consider to be the most topical / 'hottest' variations for White in the KID? Trying to do a roundup of various recent KID books and while I know what I'm interested in - MDP and  6...c5 Samisch - I suspect I'm missing something.

The Averbakh looks fairly popular right now, as are the h3 Classical lines.

Thoughts?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo