Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Java/Firefox problem disabling chess applets (Read 3515 times)
Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Re: Java/Firefox problem disabling chess applets
Reply #5 - 07/26/17 at 17:07:40
Post Tools
Quote:
Edge has an "Open with Internet Explorer" feature, see if that helps you.

Brilliant! It did -- thank you! It's like old times!

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Reply #4 - 07/26/17 at 16:24:15
Post Tools
Quick googling shows that browsers are ending support for NPAPI plugins. This means Java, Silverlight, and eventually Flash. But Internet Explorer for now still supports NPAPI plugins. Edge has an "Open with Internet Explorer" feature, see if that helps you.

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #3 - 07/26/17 at 08:17:07
Post Tools
Thanks to both. Yes, I use ChessTempo and find it quite useful, though not quite so quick and easy in enabling you to download multiple pgn game scores.

I do have Javascript enabled, but it makes no difference. Maybe I'll drop the Firefox folk a line. Meanwhile it seems Chrome has imposed the same block.

IP Logged

TalJechin
God Member

There is no secret ingredient.

Reply #2 - 07/21/17 at 21:23:26
Post Tools

One alternative might be https://chesstempo.com/game-database.html
Just googled it now, so I don't really know the site - it seems to have other features too but only looked at the game stats and search options, which seem useful...

IP Logged

bearheart
YaBB Newbies

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #1 - 07/21/17 at 11:44:49
Post Tools
JAVA has holes that hackers can exploit, therefore, Firefox disables JAVA. My Firefox works fine without it. Go to Add-ons ("Tools" "Add-Ons" "Plugins") & be sure you have Javascript enabled & keep everything updated. If you are still having problems contact the browser folks ("Help"& follow how to contact).

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Java/Firefox problem disabling chess applets
07/19/17 at 13:19:21
Post Tools
Despite its terrible GUI, I've always loved the chess game/position search site www.chesslab.com, because it's easy and quick to download multiple PGN game-scores. But now I can't access the game viewer at all, because it uses Java, and Firefox vs 54 (32-bit), my normal browser, no longer supports Java. The Firefox site suggests using Internet Explorer or Chrome, but I've tried with Chrome and MS Edge and I still get no game applet. Can anyone suggest an easy not-too-techy solution, and/or tell me why Java won't work with Chrome either? I'm using a PC with Windows 10.

Of course, if anyone knows of a similarly handy game search site to ChessLab, I'd be delighted to hear about it!

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo