Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Modernised Reti by Demuth (Read 28021 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: The Modernised Reti by Demuth
Reply #64 - 04/30/19 at 12:11:06
Post Tools
I was using the book to prepare for my French Cup match last Sunday and I like the material against the Capablanca System, and even more so against the Hedgehog - here he gives a very simple way to play that avoids all those tense, complicated positions where White always has to be on the lookout for ...b5 or ...d5.
I didn't actually use any of his lines, as it so happens, but did do quite a bit of new analysis, which I will put in the Symmetrical English section. Smiley

IP Logged

Konstriktor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #63 - 04/16/19 at 07:23:34
Post Tools
I hope we didn't scare you away Tony Wink

I am still curious about your experiences with Demuths book.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #62 - 04/13/19 at 00:08:49
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 04/12/19 at 21:36:57:
Along those lines  ...if the page count given here for Larry Kaufman's next white-and-black repertoire book happens to be accurate, it is less than the 2012 version (which was less than the 2004 version).
https://www.amazon.com/Kaufmans-Repertoire-Black-White-User-Friendly/dp/90569186...

I'm sure that's correct as far as it goes, but the page counts don't tell the full story. The 2012 version was in the large New in Chess format with double column text, while the 2004 McKay version had smaller than usual pages and single column text with a larger font. All things considered, the 2012 version must have had twice the amount of material in the 2004 one.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

mn

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #61 - 04/12/19 at 21:42:21
Post Tools
Now off topic, but I'm excited he's switching back to 1 e4 for this volume.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #60 - 04/12/19 at 21:36:57
Post Tools
TonyRo wrote on 04/09/19 at 14:48:22:
To me there's power in the small format opening books. I hope to one day write a white opening repertoire book that embraces this philosophy. We've swung so far in the other direction that now even white repertoire meant for actual players are 3 books long and huge. It's too much.

Along those lines  ...if the page count given here for Larry Kaufman's next white-and-black repertoire book happens to be accurate, it is less than the 2012 version (which was less than the 2004 version).
https://www.amazon.com/Kaufmans-Repertoire-Black-White-User-Friendly/dp/90569186...

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #59 - 04/09/19 at 23:48:24
Post Tools
As we can see from current theory, 1. c4 and 1. Cf3 are not really escaping that much theory. Not only Marin have the three English books from few years ago, his new DWD on English is two volumed.

On 1. Cf3, this Modernised Réti book 2th Edition is 445 pages. True, not like Negi's six 1. e4 bricks, but Dynamic English was not a big book back in 1999.

Maybe to escape theory, 1. f4 necessary ¿¡

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #58 - 04/09/19 at 15:22:04
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 04/09/19 at 07:47:06:
A 'Modernised Extended Second Edition'?

Smiley I think you can do even better than that. How about

Grandmaster Repertoire: Mastering the Reloaded, Modernized and Revolutionized Dynamic English Move by Move with the Read and Play Method - Improved and Extended 21st Century Edition

... and then make sure to credit the opening's amazing upsurge in popularity to Carlsen on the back cover - people do that with every opening he's ever played.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #57 - 04/09/19 at 15:06:48
Post Tools
Speaking of The Dynamic English, I know Gambit sometimes add small theoretical updates when they republish books in their app (and maybe on Kindle too). Does anyone know if there were any updates for this one?

I've had that book almost since it came out and really liked it. There was an enthusiasm in the writing and a feeling that Tony K and the readers were on a joint mission to outsmart the hapless theory hounds.

But the opening itself seemed less exciting when I tried it out... I remember a string of boring draws with 1.c4 and a quick return to the Anti-Indian, Anti-Sicilian etc. offbeat stuff I used to play. Maybe I should try 1.c4 again now that I'm older and wiser (?).

IP Logged

TonyRo
God Member

I'm gonna crack your skull!

Reply #56 - 04/09/19 at 14:48:22
Post Tools
I still care deeply for my copy of Tony's book, one of my all-time favorite chess books. It was so influential for me when I was coming up the ranks. To me there's power in the small format opening books. I hope to one day write a white opening repertoire book that embraces this philosophy. We've swung so far in the other direction that now even white repertoire meant for actual players are 3 books long and huge. It's too much. No one is getting an advantage with reasonable play from your opponent anyway.

IP Logged

Konstriktor

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #55 - 04/09/19 at 12:58:21
Post Tools
I second that 100%

I ordered GM2B from Avrukh together with the Modernized Reti (and the nice endgame book
Let me ask You, Do you Know...?).

Avrukh series totals around 1700 pages. Great books, but totally unpractical for my situation as in full time job with kids. I can work through the main lines of Avrukh, but the more detailed rinse and repeat is nearly impossible and my motivation drops for this immense task. Time which I can better use for other chess studies.

I got the Dynamic English and played the repertoire for a while with good succes.
Maybe it's the nature of a 1.c4 2.g3 opening that you can write such a small booklet, but it certainly worked great and I regard it as one of the best dense, yet very practical opening book ever.

So I think there is a demand for practical opening books. No GM Repertoire.
Yes it may have theoretical holes
Yes it does not have to be 100% up to date
It has to give you some guidelines how to play the resulting positions and the holes should be small enough that you end up with playable positions  Cool

I am going to give Demuth a try now  Smiley

IP Logged

Pantu

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #54 - 04/09/19 at 10:50:49
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 04/09/19 at 07:47:06:
A 'Modernised Extended Second Edition'? There have been so many books on the English in the last 20 years, I really don't know what I could add to all that material.

Don't think about what to add, think about what to take away Smiley One thing that made the book so popular was that it is a tiny sliver of a thing yet provided a complete and clear repertoire for white that a legion of club players used.  The biggest problem with modern books is that they are so big it's hard to go through all the material as a busy part-time player.  The idea of reading a book on the flight to a tournament and playing the opening isn't really viable anymore.

I miss books like the Dynamic English and the "Easy guide..." (to the Najdorf, Nimzo-Indian and Classical Sicilian were all classics at least).  Chess-Stars are probably closest with their "Main Ideas/Step-by-step/annotated games" breakdown but still there is still a clear gap in the market for small, simple and clear books.

The real challenge would be to write an up to date complete and practical repertoire in 144 small pages, that might not be groundbreaking or ideal for correspondence, but great for 1800-2300ish amateurs.   The Chesspub book of the year "Keep it simple: 1.e4" was something along those lines.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #53 - 04/09/19 at 07:47:06
Post Tools
MW wrote on 04/08/19 at 20:49:32:
I looked at the Dynamic English yesterday....it's now 20 years old, time for an up-date perhaps...??

A 'Modernised Extended Second Edition'? There have been so many books on the English in the last 20 years, I really don't know what I could add to all that material.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #52 - 04/08/19 at 20:49:32
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 04/06/19 at 15:35:47:
Talking of move orders, in this same chapter there is no mention of my game against Nie:

Very nice game....couldn't find it in any of the data bases I use so have added to my notes in Demuth's book.

I do prefer it when an author makes a written assessment after each variation rather than simply using an Informant type symbol. Looking at a few opening books most authors seem to use a combination of both. Marin is something of an exception, he is very good at explaining the position at the end of a variation.

Speaking of books, I looked at the Dynamic English yesterday....it's now 20 years old, time for an up-date perhaps...??

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #51 - 04/07/19 at 17:15:03
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 04/05/19 at 19:54:48:
some of the lines left me hungry for more: either more moves or some explanation at the end (like where White should put his pieces, etc.)

Page 73 is a case in point, in the note to move 13 the line ends 16 Bb2 +/-, but why? It's not immediately obvious to the naked eye (at least not to mine!) Black's knight on c2 looks silly, but so does White's on a4, and Black can capture on c5 now, leaving him with a passed pawn on d3. I suppose if I look at this with my computer I can win the d3-pawn, but still?
Then, a little bit further on, the mainline ends 19 Rxd1 with an "overwhelming advantage", but isn't White an exchange down? I suppose the a2-knight is a bit trapped and the c5-pawn is strong, but a logical continuation like 19...Rb8 20 c6 Rb2 protects the knight, and then 21 c7 (a mistake, but 'obvious') is countered by 21...Rc8 22 Ba5 d2! 23 Bh3 Rxc7! 24 Bxc7 Nc3 and Black wins! Shocked
Naturally I can look at these lines with Stockfish, but I shouldn't need to when I have the book and a chess set in front of me. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #50 - 04/06/19 at 15:35:47
Post Tools
Sometimes the move order is different, so in chapter 3 the 'Chapter Guide' gives the book's 1 Nf3 d5 2 c4 e6 3 g3, and yet the sub chapters b) and c) have 1 Nf3 Nf6 2 g3 e6 3 Bg2 d5 4 c4. Is this sub-optimal? Should White play c2-c4 earlier? I think that there should be an examination of move orders earlier, and then the book should stick to one.
Talking of move orders, in this same chapter there is no mention of my game against Nie:

Still, it may not have been published anywhere. Sad I think I played this particular move order to avoid a Hedgehog, but I'm not sure.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo