Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) The Modernised Reti by Demuth (Read 51978 times)
GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Re: The Modernised Reti by Demuth
Reply #49 - 04/05/19 at 19:54:48
Post Tools
I got hold of a copy and have started going through it, planning to 'cherry-pick' interesting lines for my own repertoire (which really needs some work what with the French Top12 matches coming next month).
I've only got to page 50, and so far I like it, although some of the lines left me hungry for more: either more moves or some explanation at the end (like where White should put his pieces, etc.) Of course, it's already a very big book... Roll Eyes

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #48 - 04/03/19 at 00:22:14
Post Tools
GMTonyKosten wrote on 04/02/19 at 09:43:22:
I noticed that the author thanked Pablo Ollier for his help with the 2nd edition, and as he lives in  the same town as me I asked him what had been changed. He said that the 2nd edition wasn't really 'extended' but only 'corrected'. That he had corrected some of the English, particularly where the original English was ambiguous, and some incorrect transpositions. Presumably Demuth corrected some analytical mistakes, but I don't know if he added any new material.

Although I have both editions of this book unlike the First Edition which I read pretty much from cover to cover I have only used the 2nd edition when looking at specific lines.

Apart from the much improved grammar (which provided it is understandable has never worried me in a chess book anyway) and layout I have also noticed some minor tweaking by the author...eg on page 32 he has looked at the move 13...Ne8 as faced by GM Edouard in his game against Longson 2018 and in Chapter 2 sub chapter d  he no longer recommends 10 Qb5 in note B.

So without sitting down with the books side by side and comparing each variation I'm guessing that he has taken a similar approach to other lines where he has felt the need.    

Regardless of the edition I think they are both great books.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #47 - 04/02/19 at 09:43:22
Post Tools
MW wrote on 10/31/18 at 17:46:37:
Will probably buy the new edition but would be interested in seeing a more detailed post on what has been up-dated.

I noticed that the author thanked Pablo Ollier for his help with the 2nd edition, and as he lives in  the same town as me I asked him what had been changed. He said that the 2nd edition wasn't really 'extended' but only 'corrected'. That he had corrected some of the English, particularly where the original English was ambiguous, and some incorrect transpositions. Presumably Demuth corrected some analytical mistakes, but I don't know if he added any new material.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #46 - 10/31/18 at 17:46:37
Post Tools
CanadianClub wrote on 10/31/18 at 08:21:03:
It would be interesting to see if is worth getting the new edition owing the first one already. The table of contents is the same as mine. Maybe the layout is better but... in terms of chess content also?

we'll see

Same question I've been asking myself...simply aligning the indexes in the two additions there appears to be a couple of extra pages in chapters 2 and 8 plus 1 in chapter 20....what impact the layout improvements have had is hard to say...

Will probably buy the new edition but would be interested in seeing a more detailed post on what has been up-dated.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #45 - 10/31/18 at 08:21:03
Post Tools
It would be interesting to see if is worth getting the new edition owing the first one already. The table of contents is the same as mine. Maybe the layout is better but... in terms of chess content also?

we'll see

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #44 - 10/29/18 at 21:55:56
Post Tools
An aside: I wonder what attitude Forward Chess takes to 2nd (and further) editions? AFAIK their version of Dvoretsky' Endgame Manual is still the 3rd edition even though the 4th has been out for a few years.

You'd think one of the advantages of an app over a book is it's easier to offer customers updates when a new edition of a book they already carry comes out (or discounts on the new edition for buyers of the previous one, as many software vendors practice). But at the moment it doesn't even look like getting 2nd editions published on the platform is much of a priority.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

TD
God Member

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #43 - 10/29/18 at 19:10:25
Post Tools
tracke wrote on 10/26/18 at 17:53:15:
According to german distributor Niggemann there
will be a revised & expanded 2nd edition next week.
„Expanded“ seems to mean 440 -> 448 pages.

tracke  Smiley

http://www.debestezet.nl/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=4035

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #42 - 10/28/18 at 00:22:48
Post Tools
Michael Ayton wrote on 10/27/18 at 15:05:35:
It indeed seems a fascinating book, despite its rather urgent need for linguistic editing.

As well as upholding 2 c4 d4 3 b4!?, in the mainline Closed variation after 2 ...e6 3 g3 Nf6 4 Bg2 Be7 5 0-0 0-0 6 b3 c5, the book goes with 7 Bb2 Nc6 8 e3 (in preference to 7 cxd5, which I had thought was more approved of nowadays). Does anyone know if either of these lines have become any more highly regarded recently, and whether if so this has influenced Demuth's choice?

I believe both these lines are given in Bologan's DVD as well (he gives 7 cd5 as well). Not sure about how they're regarded outside of that.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #41 - 10/27/18 at 23:25:08
Post Tools
Michael Ayton wrote on 10/27/18 at 15:05:35:
It indeed seems a fascinating book, despite its rather urgent need for linguistic editing.

As well as upholding 2 c4 d4 3 b4!?, in the mainline Closed variation after 2 ...e6 3 g3 Nf6 4 Bg2 Be7 5 0-0 0-0 6 b3 c5, the book goes with 7 Bb2 Nc6 8 e3 (in preference to 7 cxd5, which I had thought was more approved of nowadays). Does anyone know if either of these lines have become any more highly regarded recently, and whether if so this has influenced Demuth's choice?

In this "main" line (for me it is the most principled way of fighting White proposal) 1 Nf3 d5 2 c4 e6 3 g3 Nf6 4 Bg2 Be7 5 0-0 0-0 6 b3 c5, it seems cxd5 now or after Bb2 were the way to go. A question of tastes I suppose.

I play more quietly with 3.b3 (not allowing gambiting the c4 pawn) before fianchettoing my LSB. Are the lines where Black captures on c4 (and not b3 played by White) challenging? Are they specially rare or difficult to learn?

thx
Smiley

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #40 - 10/27/18 at 15:05:35
Post Tools

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 10/26/18 at 18:08:04
Post Tools
helmet wrote on 06/29/18 at 04:43:56:
What is the physical book quality? Ie binding, layout, paper etc.

I brought the book in January this year and have used it regularly, written notes in it, packed it in my suitcase when travelling and there have been no issues with binding or quality of paper.

Plus the content is excellent as well!

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #38 - 10/26/18 at 17:53:15
Post Tools
According to german distributor Niggemann there
will be a revised & expanded 2nd edition next week.
„Expanded“ seems to mean 440 -> 448 pages.

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

helmet
YaBB Newbies

Reply #37 - 06/29/18 at 04:43:56
Post Tools
What is the physical book quality? Ie binding, layout, paper etc.

Often this information is missing from reviews, but after buying several books where pages fall out etc I like to buy only books that are quality materials

IP Logged

Justinhorton

Kingpinista

Reply #36 - 03/14/18 at 19:31:38
Post Tools
Oddly, the book appears to be available from amazon.com but not amazon.co.uk.

IP Logged

Andrechanel
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 02/11/18 at 23:09:19
Post Tools
Another interesting line  for black is the slav move order cf3 d5 c4 c6 g3 ag4. Here demuth advocates what?  Vs English symmetrical he preferred system with early d4 or g3 fianchettos ?  It's interesting because in delchevs this system was not considering it. In little words ....this book is better that delchev' s book ? that is good but necessity some updated. Ty

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo