Latest Updates:
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Art of the Tarrasch Defence - Alexei Bezgodov (Read 6592 times)
tapchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Art of the Tarrasch Defence - Alexei Bezgodov
Reply #11 - 03/02/18 at 12:49:05
Post Tools
I would rather compare it to the Open Spanish: in both openings you get (central) piece play for a structural concession. Also Tarrasch was a strong adherent of both Tongue.  The King's Indian is characterized by a blocked center and attacks on opposite wings. In the Tarrasch middlegame play is mostly based around the center with successfull wings attack that derive from a central superiority.
« Last Edit: 03/02/18 at 14:26:52 by tapchess »  

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #10 - 03/02/18 at 12:30:20
Post Tools
tapchess wrote on 03/02/18 at 10:46:35:
Therefore at club level putting a small effort on this opening will probably provide outstanding results when playing with Black because most people will be unable to manage the resulting positions.

I agree. I wanted to add another opening to my repertoire that was a different type of game to my usual fianchetto stuff.

I settled on the Tarrasch because:

1. I had some books already to get me going
2. There was a nice new GM repertoire on it
3. It's a pretty much universal defense to all but 1. ..e5
4. It's not got a lot of pawn formations to assimilate (IQP and you're pretty much there  Wink)
5. It's a light square defence, whereas KID and co. are dark square defences, a completely different type of game.
6. I was able to get up and running pretty quickly with it for internet hacking.

In practice, my long play results, although not a large sample so far, have been near enough to par.

I tend to think of it a bit like the KID in one respect though, i.e. you are positionaly worse and so have to mix it up somehow. With the Tarrasch I try to play as actively as possible!

I also don't mind suffering a worse IQP end game (it's not always lost), as long as my opponent isn't Karpov  Smiley

I had a psychologal set back early on, being on the receiving end of a nasty 6. ...dxc5 surprise  Sad, but I've done some work on that, so it's not the end of the world for Black there IMHO.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

tapchess
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 03/02/18 at 10:46:35
Post Tools
Isn't the Tarrasch Defense another one of those underestimated defenses? Sometime ago I raised a similar point on the QGA and within one month or two Caruana started to play it with more than decent results. I believe that the Tarrasch went out of fashion because it was too easy for White 10 years ago to play only for two results. Nowadays this is true for all major openings while the Tarrasch remains still relatively unexplored. Therefore at club level putting a small effort on this opening will probably provide outstanding results when playing with Black because most people will be unable to manage the resulting positions. What's your opinion?

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #8 - 01/31/18 at 04:53:20
Post Tools
The last 2 Posts were moved here from QGD Intro [move by] proustiskeen.

IP Logged

mn

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: New Bezgodov's book on Tarrasch
Reply #7 - 01/31/18 at 00:47:33
Post Tools
I think there's already a thread on this book. http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1511988779

IP Logged

TUKI
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

New Bezgodov's book on Tarrasch
Reply #6 - 01/30/18 at 22:59:00
Post Tools
Hi guys!
There is a new book about Tarrasch by Bezgodov. Can anyone say how it compares to book by Ntirlis/Aagaard ?
Did he found something new in main line with cxd4?

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 12/12/17 at 16:35:51
Post Tools
JEH wrote on 12/12/17 at 04:59:12:
Toshak wrote on 12/11/17 at 22:12:11:
I think the most difficult line is 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 c5 4. cxd5 exd5 5. Nf3 Nc6 6. dxc5 d4 7. Na4 Bxc5 8. Nxc5 Qa5+ 9. Bd2 Qxc5. So far so good, but now 10. b4 ! seems to be very dangerous. Bezgodov only gives 10. e3 and 10. a3, so he completely misses the best continuation for White.

I was one of the early victims of this nasty gambit and it put me off the Tarrasch Defence for a long time  Sad

It's not in GM10 either.

We gave it a good going over in this thread

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1347006428

Thanks for pointing out the thread!

Well, I am not sure I'll get the book. Seems like some of his previous work. Interesting ideas, but not paying a lot of attention to the most critical lines.

That gambit is tough, although if White starts with e.g. 1.c4 and plays according to Marin, the gambit is avoided, meaning there can still be a place for playing the Tarrasch without worrying about the gambit, just not as an only solution (which might not be a good idea anyway, even if it is convenient).

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #4 - 12/12/17 at 04:59:12
Post Tools
Toshak wrote on 12/11/17 at 22:12:11:
I think the most difficult line is 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 c5 4. cxd5 exd5 5. Nf3 Nc6 6. dxc5 d4 7. Na4 Bxc5 8. Nxc5 Qa5+ 9. Bd2 Qxc5. So far so good, but now 10. b4 ! seems to be very dangerous. Bezgodov only gives 10. e3 and 10. a3, so he completely misses the best continuation for White.

I was one of the early victims of this nasty gambit and it put me off the Tarrasch Defence for a long time  Sad

It's not in GM10 either.

We gave it a good going over in this thread

http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1347006428

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

IP Logged

Toshak
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #3 - 12/11/17 at 22:12:11
Post Tools
There is nothing on 9. - c4 in Bezgodov's book, therefore difficult to compare.

to take on c5 can be very dangeraou for Black. I think the most difficult line is 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 c5 4. cxd5 exd5 5. Nf3 Nc6 6. dxc5 d4 7. Na4 Bxc5 8. Nxc5 Qa5+ 9. Bd2 Qxc5. So far so good, but now 10. b4 ! seems to be very dangerous. Bezgodov only gives 10. e3 and 10. a3, so he completely misses the best continuation for White.

IP Logged

fling
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 12/11/17 at 11:10:35
Post Tools
Toshak wrote on 12/09/17 at 21:54:26:
I have bought the book, but am not so sure about its quality.

1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. g3 c5 5. cxd5 exd5 6. Bg2 Nc6 7. O-O Be7 8. Nc3 O-O 9. Bg5 cxd4 10. Nxd4 h6 is declared as Kasparov's system and the main line.
Usually I play 9. c4 - which is the main line in my eyes - , but there is a really difficult line for Black, so I try 9. cxd4 in a correspondance game right now.
I don't feel very confident, but maybe it's just because it's my first time.  Cool

Even if the "main line" is not the main line, what about the analysis of the lines 9...cxd4 and 9...c4, is it any good? Something new compared to GM10? Any omissions? And what about the line where White snatches the pawn on c5 early on, etc?

IP Logged

Toshak
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 12/09/17 at 21:54:26
Post Tools
I have bought the book, but am not so sure about its quality.

1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nf3 Nf6 4. g3 c5 5. cxd5 exd5 6. Bg2 Nc6 7. O-O Be7 8. Nc3 O-O 9. Bg5 cxd4 10. Nxd4 h6 is declared as Kasparov's system and the main line.
Usually I play 9. c4 - which is the main line in my eyes - , but there is a really difficult line for Black, so I try 9. cxd4 in a correspondance game right now.
I don't feel very confident, but maybe it's just because it's my first time.  Cool

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Art of the Tarrasch Defence - Alexei Bezgodov
11/29/17 at 20:52:59
Post Tools
I have been adding the Tarrasch Defence to my repertoire as an alternative to my KID.

Anyone got this book and what do you think of it?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo