Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Move order issues after 2.Nf3 g6 3.c3 (Read 5742 times)
CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Re: Move order issues after 2.Nf3 g6 3.c3
Reply #3 - 01/08/18 at 13:35:02
Post Tools
Interesting to note that when you want to face the Morra Gambit like this:

1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3 g6 4.cxd4 d5 5.e5

you arrive to the same position, and the pawns are already exchanged. So... maybe this is a line you have to prepare yourself anyway. I don't know what annoys Mora players the most: this line or de 3...d3 one (recommended by Panjwani).

Salut,

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #2 - 01/05/18 at 01:11:50
Post Tools
Yes, it's interesting. Of course this is just a sideline in both books. But I have a bad score against 3.c3, so I take the whole line very seriously.

It could be that Black is at least OK whether he follows Greet or Panjwani here. I think I will follow Panjwani for the rest of 3.c3 but cut a corner and replace one page of his analysis with simply 5...Bg4  Smiley

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #1 - 01/05/18 at 00:02:42
Post Tools
Interesting question.

I used to play this way as Black (1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 g6 3.c3 Bg7) and this lines works. Very fun games Smiley

The main problem for me wasn't e5 by White but exd5 after 4.d4 d5. I've never seen this OTB, so... perfect.

I am planning to play the hyper-accelerated move order again (now I play 2...Nc6 allowing the Rossolimo), so these subtilities are important.

Thx

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Move order issues after 2.Nf3 g6 3.c3
01/04/18 at 21:45:16
Post Tools
I have started studying Panjwani's excellent book The Hyper Accelerated Dragon, and came upon an interesting disagreement.

His main recommendation against 2.Nf3 g6 3.c3 is quite original, but he wants to allow 3...Nc6 4.d4 d5 5.e5 cxd4 6.cxd4 Bg4. But while this is a minor line in his coverage, spanning less than a page, the alternative and much more common move order 3...Bg7 4.d4 cxd4 5.cxd4 d5 6.e5 Bg4 would be likely to reach the same positions, and arguably White wouldn't have much choice there since 6.exd5 is harmless. So why does Panjwani allow all his other lines instead of going straight for this?

One point could be that in the normal mover order with ...Bg7 in instead of ...Nc6, 7.Bb5+ is annoying: If 7...Nc6 8.Bxc6+ White can try to play against the backward c-pawn, though 7...Nd7 instead still seems to score well for Black. Panjwani's move order with 3...Nc6 allows him to meet 7.Bb5 with 7...Qb6 and recapture on c6 with the queen.

Andrew Greet in Starting Out: Accelerated Dragon, however, crosses paths with Panjwani when he mentions 3.c3 d5 4.e5!? Nc6 5.d4 Bg4 and comments:

Quote:
Unfortunately for White, the presence of both sides' c-pawns on the board gives him some extra problems, the main one being that his queen's knight can no longer be developed on its optimal square. A secondary point is that Black may be able to develop his king's bishop other than on g7 [...]

Greet's logic seems spot on to me here, so I'm not sure why Panjwani is so quick to exchange on d4, allowing White to return to something normal. Delaying ...cxd4 limits White's options, since he hardly wants to play dxc5 and weaken the e5 pawn.

« Last Edit: 01/04/18 at 23:17:24 by Stigma »  

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo