Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Black Repertoire against flank openings (Read 7963 times)
an ordinary chessplayer
God Member

I used to be not bad.

Re: Black Repertoire against flank openings
Reply #15 - 01/30/18 at 16:06:12
Post Tools
I see three editions, note the different title for the first one, and for the third one Levy is listed as a contibutor by google books.
  • Levy and Keene (1976) An Opening Repertoire for the Attacking Club Player
  • Keene and Levy (1984) An Opening Repertoire for the Attacking Player
  • Keene (1994) An Opening Repertoire for the Attacking Player
All three are *apparently* available online, but if you click on a 1994 link and see Levy (no date) An Opening Repertoire for the Attacking Player, what are you actually getting? Probably best to order by ISBN.

IP Logged

Marcellus

Reply #14 - 01/30/18 at 16:01:19
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 01/30/18 at 03:51:32:
So far I only have Colovic's part on the QGD main lines myself. It looks like good material, but I don't really play the QGD as Black. It's just something I've thought of adding "someday, maybe...", and I bought it when I got a special offer on it.

You can email him at his personal website to obtain all three repertoires in pgn and cbh files, along with pdfs and short videos .

IP Logged

Karpfenkopf
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #13 - 01/30/18 at 06:59:02
Post Tools
I searched again and again only found the index of the 1977 book.

Hard to find anything than the cover from the algebraic edition.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #12 - 01/30/18 at 05:02:18
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 01/30/18 at 04:13:14:
I no longer have this Keene/Levy book, but it was one of the first 10-15 chess books I owned. I could have sworn it was in algebraic notation and recommended the Chigorin against 1.d4. And a setup with 1...e5, 2...d6 and often 3...f5 against the English - this served me very well as a junior (unlike the Chigorin, which brought me disastrous results!), and I still wheel it out occasionally. A newer edition than the one you're thinking of perhaps?

Yes, you're thinking of an edition from the 1990s; the original edition (with the Benko) is from the '70s.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #11 - 01/30/18 at 04:13:14
Post Tools
Karpfenkopf wrote on 01/29/18 at 08:17:31:
whatteaux wrote on 01/29/18 at 07:53:42:
[...]An Opening Repertoire for the Attacking Player (Keene & Levy - OK, a bit long in the tooth I admit, but good enough for us under-1800s).
Kaufman has the Grünfeld against 1.d4 and that Keene book should be based on the Benkö (+ it is written in descriptive notation  Roll Eyes).

I no longer have this Keene/Levy book, but it was one of the first 10-15 chess books I owned. I could have sworn it was in algebraic notation and recommended the Chigorin against 1.d4. And a setup with 1...e5, 2...d6 and often 3...f5 against the English - this served me very well as a junior (unlike the Chigorin, which brought me disastrous results!), and I still wheel it out occasionally. A newer edition than the one you're thinking of perhaps?

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #10 - 01/30/18 at 03:51:32
Post Tools
Karpfenkopf wrote on 01/29/18 at 19:22:22:
Thanks again for that very good hint. I made that order and browsed fast through the material. I don't think i need anything else on that topic by now.

You're welcome! So far I only have Colovic's part on the QGD main lines myself. It looks like good material, but I don't really play the QGD as Black. It's just something I've thought of adding "someday, maybe...", and I bought it when I got a special offer on it.

Karpfenkopf wrote on 01/29/18 at 19:22:22:
ErictheRed wrote on 01/29/18 at 17:42:42:
The original Kaufman repertoire book is probably relevant to you, the one that recommended the Semi-Slav. I don't remember much about his flank opening stuff, though. 

Thanks for that hint. I've only seen that newer Kaufman book before. This older one is sold out at my chess book seeler and others want to have 35 € for an used opening book... Not sure if it would be worth that money.

I have this original Kaufman book (The Chess Advantage in Black and White) and played parts of the White repertoire for a while. Couldn't remember what he gave against flank openings, so I looked it up: It's 1.Nf3 d5 2.g3 Bg4 against the Réti and KIA, 1...e6 and 2...d5 against the English (and taking on c4 if 1.c4 e6 2.Nf3 d5 3.g3 dxc4), 1.f4 d5 2.Nf3 Bg4, and 1...e5 against both 1.b3 and 1.b4.

These still look like good recommendations. But they're all covered briefly in one short chapter, so I think most players would want to add other sources or a bit of research on their own.
« Last Edit: 01/30/18 at 05:41:29 by Stigma »  

IP Logged

mn

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 01/29/18 at 20:46:19
Post Tools
I would assume theory doesn't develop too quickly in the lines you want to look at, so Palliser's book probably remains a good choice.

IP Logged

Karpfenkopf
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 01/29/18 at 19:22:22
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 01/28/18 at 12:51:46:
Apart from the mentioned sources, I thought of GM Colovic's Black repertoire based around the Queen's Gambit Declined. I believe his absolute main line there against 5.Bg5 is more or less the same as Ntirlis', but a lot of the other repertoire choices are different. He has a separate part covering flank openings, with move orders of course designed to fit with a QGD. His lines there look more solid than those offered by Mikhalevski and Delchev/Semkov, since Colovic meets 1.c4 with 1...e6 instead of 1...e5 and also sets up with ...d5, ...Nf6 and ...e6 against 1.Nf3 instead of putting the light-squared bishop on g4. So this is also stylistically very consistent with a solid QGD/French repertoire.

Thanks again for that very good hint. I made that order and browsed fast through the material. I don't think i need anything else on that topic by now.

ErictheRed wrote on 01/29/18 at 17:42:42:
The original Kaufman repertoire book is probably relevant to you, the one that recommended the Semi-Slav. I don't remember much about his flank opening stuff, though. 

Thanks for that hint. I've only seen that newer Kaufman book before. This older one is sold out at my chess book seeler and others want to have 35 € for an used opening book... Not sure if it would be worth that money.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #7 - 01/29/18 at 17:42:42
Post Tools

IP Logged

Karpfenkopf
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 01/29/18 at 08:17:31
Post Tools
whatteaux wrote on 01/29/18 at 07:53:42:
Surely there are a number of broad-spectrum repertoire books that cover these rats & mice?  For example, Kaufman's repertoire covers these, as does An Opening Repertoire for the Attacking Player (Keene & Levy - OK, a bit long in the tooth I admit, but good enough for us under-1800s).
Kaufman has the Grünfeld against 1.d4 and that Keene book should be based on the Benkö (+ it is written in descriptive notation  Roll Eyes).

I don't think that these two books are useful for my purpose. They will maybe have transpositions to their mainlines which don't fit to my mainlines. So i would have to put in more work than when i am starting with a custom made solution for qgd players.

IP Logged

whatteaux

Reply #5 - 01/29/18 at 07:53:42
Post Tools
Karpfenkopf wrote on 01/29/18 at 06:36:39:
What's completely missing are the bird, 1. g3 without transposition to anything already included, 1. b3, 1. b4 and maybe some 1. Nc3 suff.

Surely there are a number of broad-spectrum repertoire books that cover these rats & mice?  For example, Kaufman's repertoire covers these, as does An Opening Repertoire for the Attacking Player (Keene & Levy - OK, a bit long in the tooth I admit, but good enough for us under-1800s).

IP Logged

Karpfenkopf
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 01/29/18 at 06:36:39
Post Tools
Thank's for your comments.

RdC wrote on 01/28/18 at 12:22:23:
If you base your defence on playing d5 and e6, you have many of the potential lines from Flank Openings already covered, namely defending the Kings Indian Attack in its anti-French form and defending a Catalan.

Yes, both of them are well covered in my two books and my subscriptions.

What's completely missing are the bird, 1. g3 without transposition to anything already included, 1. b3, 1. b4 and maybe some 1. Nc3 suff. One former teammate played that move. I'm not sure if that always transposes to a french or verresov. The mentioned stuff by GM Colvic could fit, i will take a look.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #3 - 01/28/18 at 12:51:46
Post Tools
Apart from the mentioned sources, I thought of GM Colovic's Black repertoire based around the Queen's Gambit Declined. I believe his absolute main line there against 5.Bg5 is more or less the same as Ntirlis', but a lot of the other repertoire choices are different. He has a separate part covering flank openings, with move orders of course designed to fit with a QGD. His lines there look more solid than those offered by Mikhalevski and Delchev/Semkov, since Colovic meets 1.c4 with 1...e6 instead of 1...e5 and also sets up with ...d5, ...Nf6 and ...e6 against 1.Nf3 instead of putting the light-squared bishop on g4. So this is also stylistically very consistent with a solid QGD/French repertoire.

I don't want to link directly to this product, since the platform might be considered a direct competitor to ChessPublishing (at least they could aspire to be some day when they have a lot more content). But you can easily find it by googling.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 01/28/18 at 12:22:23
Post Tools
Karpfenkopf wrote on 01/28/18 at 06:40:40:
Hello,
I am using serious stuff against 1. e4 ("Playing the french" by Aagard / Ntirlis") and 1. d4 / 1. c4 / 1. Nf3 ("Playing 1. d4 d5" by Ntirlis) as cornerstone plus my three section chesspublishing.com subscription ( French, 1.d4 d5, d-pawn specials).

If you base your defence on playing d5 and e6, you have many of the potential lines from Flank Openings already covered, namely defending the Kings Indian Attack in its anti-French form and defending a Catalan.

IP Logged

whatteaux

Reply #1 - 01/28/18 at 10:33:22
Post Tools
Have a look at Attacking the English/Reti (Chess Stars, 2016) by Delchev & Semko.  They propose a similar repertoire to Mikhalevski but more digestibly (is that a word?).  Each chapter has "Main Ideas", "Step by Step" and "Annotated Games" sections - a common format for Chess Stars books.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo