Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Black Repertoire against flank openings (Read 7769 times)
Bibs
God Member

Re: Black Repertoire against flank openings
Reply #30 - 02/21/18 at 23:51:14
Post Tools
There is much to be said for the Bish-Bash-Bosh approach of d6-e5-f5, Qe8-h5, f4, Bh3, Ng4 for the idle auto-pilot vegetarians who play some flanky stuff at lower levels. (See an old 'Not The BCM' for the veggie reference).

Agree, 1...d6 2...Bg4 is grim. Not to be touched. Bleurgh.

Learn Leningrad Dutch. Nc6-a5 or -e5, ...c6. or Malaniuk's Qe8. Or go for the ...d6/...Nf6/...Bf5 (wossat called again?).

Rock those Finns, their education system, their Northern lights, and their glorious ...d6 book. 'Kippis!'

(My level: middle-aged FM btw.)

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #29 - 02/21/18 at 12:40:48
Post Tools
Bibs wrote on 02/21/18 at 09:57:58:
Yrjölä and Tella: An Explosive Opening Repertoire for Black
remains the best of the 1...d6 texts, IMHO.

Agreed! It's still a primary reference for me, combined with a games database and my own repertoire database.

ORAP was one of my repertoires from the 80's and introduced me to meeting flank openings with e.g. 1. Nf3 d6 2. d4 Bg4 and 1. c4 with a d6/e5/f5 set up, the latter of which, via an old Soltis d6 book and Explosive Rep is still a core choice for me vs. flank opening comfort zone coasters.

I have also used a KID set up against flank openings. At my level (oscillating around 1900), I got some interesting feedback from one opponent who said he was happier meeting the KID set up than the Dutch one. Possibly players at my level "don't like it up 'em" with the Dutch so much, whereas stronger players would welcome Black's voluntary weakening.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

mn

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #28 - 02/21/18 at 10:46:09
Post Tools
I agree with Bibs - highly recommendable little book.

1 d4 d6 2 Nf3 Bg4 is kind of depressing for Black, though, IMO.

IP Logged

Bibs
God Member

Reply #27 - 02/21/18 at 09:57:58
Post Tools
Yrjölä and Tella: An Explosive Opening Repertoire for Black
remains the best of the 1...d6 texts, IMHO.

Lots of stuff there. Old book yes, but packed with stuff. Particularly strong versus 1.d4 lines.

Pity, my copy got lost along the way....

IP Logged

an ordinary chessplayer

I used to be not bad.

Reply #26 - 02/21/18 at 04:34:20
Post Tools
The three recent 1...d6 books mentioned by JEH in #17 are good. It's hard to recommend one of them specifically without knowing more about your needs. All three books have pdf samples available from the respective publishers, so you can peek and see for yourself which one interests you. Or use the search function here to find them discussed.

I have my own collection of 1...d6 variations as a backup and use the books for ideas rather than for a repertoire. For a second-string defense, I have way too many books on Pirc, Philidor, KID, and Old Indian. I have Yrjola/Tella and Zude/Hickl mentioned by JEH, so I can tell you about those. I will say that both these books cover the English line you mention. I'm not sure what Lakdawala recommends against the English.

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #25 - 02/21/18 at 03:03:11
Post Tools
I like to hear what d6 book everyone recommends. I like to play e5, d6, and maybe f5 set up against the English. I see there are a few d6 books out there, wonder what's best. Plus if it has some good recommendations vs it here flank openings that cannot hurt. Thanks.

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #24 - 01/31/18 at 08:28:52
Post Tools
Even if you get absolutely satisfied only with the main line in the Quailty Chess books (moves marked in bold), it's interesting and instructive to see how are handled the most important sidelines. Of course not to memorize them by heart, but play the moves in the board (at least once) to see typical ideas and plans than "maybe" in the main lines are not available to you (because the mail line contains also the better moves for you opponent) but they are key in you own games (which deviates from theory on move 6, 7 or 8, but usually the key ideas also apply).

If the book has lots of explanations (like Ntirlis' ones; I own his fantastics French book and d4-d5 manual; not the one on the open games, I have no opinion on that) then they are perfect for me. I gave Ntirlis as an example known but everybody here but there are lots of books with good commentaries by the author trying to explain things and plans (not only moves).

For me this is the best strategy to learn an opening. First, a video series, to get a whole idea of the subtilities and general plans in a visual and quick way. Then, a good book following mainly the bold moves (main lines), then playing exclusively this opening on internet blitz games and analyze the opening afterwards and what the book recomends against each idea. And finally play the sidelines moves in a board trying to understand why the sublines are sublines and not mainlines.

My 50 cents.

IP Logged

Karpfenkopf
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 01/31/18 at 06:28:18
Post Tools
Sometimes a small book is also fine. Although the antoshin philidor and the old indian failed at my practical tests, the presentation in the german edition of the 200 pages book "Play 1. ..d6 Against Everything" by IM Erik Zude and GM Jörg Hickl is very good and probably enough for these openings.

But i had my problems with small books e. g. on the french. There always comes  a moment when you want to look into some more advanced book for some details. E. g. you start with the lines 3... b6 or 4... Qb6 and 5... Bd7 against the advance french. McDonald gives these two lines in "How to play against 1.e4". Then you look into Aagaard / Ntirlis or Watsons bible and find only 4... Nc6 based systems.

So for starters i am okay with the bold stuff  in quality chess books and also very much liked the "fast lane" marks in each chapter and "very fast lane" in the introduction of "Bologan's Black Weapons in the Open Games".

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #22 - 01/30/18 at 18:17:06
Post Tools
kylemeister wrote on 01/30/18 at 17:54:39:
an e.g. sub-1800 player might not really want a ~500-page book on one opening.  Along these lines I'm sometimes reminded of a slogan Chess Informant used for their monographs back in the late 20th century:  "too much information = not enough information," and wonder if slimmer repertoire books might make a comeback.

Good point. Most opening books today contain a lot more analysis than club players need. I guess authors who reduce their coverage to avoid information overload risk reviewers complaining about all that was left out...

So you get formats trying to ride two horses simultaneously, like Chess Stars with their "Main Ideas" and "Step by Step", and Quality Chess producing quality doorstops but insisting you can get by fine by just learning the main lines in bold.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Marcellus

Reply #21 - 01/30/18 at 18:01:28
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 01/30/18 at 17:33:56:
Are you sure about this? Sounds like the kind of extra service that's meant for those that have already bought the books and want them in different formats as well. But maybe that's what you meant; I can email him after I have bought them from Chessable?

He charges 50 euros. I had the first two parts of his chessable books, but felt paying him extra for his work was quite reasonable (especially with the added value). It's a much better deal, obviously, if you haven't purchased the chessable reps.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #20 - 01/30/18 at 17:54:39
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 01/30/18 at 17:25:37:
And similarly; why play a gambit-based Scandinavian repertoire based on this old Keene book when you could use Smerdon's recent masterpiece instead!

Yes, but (aside from the real issue of the age of the Keene/Levy books), an e.g. sub-1800 player might not really want a ~500-page book on one opening.  Along these lines I'm sometimes reminded of a slogan Chess Informant used for their monographs back in the late 20th century:  "too much information = not enough information," and wonder if slimmer repertoire books might make a comeback.

Yeah, tangent ...

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #19 - 01/30/18 at 17:33:56
Post Tools
Marcellus wrote on 01/30/18 at 16:01:19:
Stigma wrote on 01/30/18 at 03:51:32:
So far I only have Colovic's part on the QGD main lines myself. It looks like good material, but I don't really play the QGD as Black. It's just something I've thought of adding "someday, maybe...", and I bought it when I got a special offer on it.

You can email him at his personal website to obtain all three repertoires in pgn and cbh files, along with pdfs and short videos .

Are you sure about this? Sounds like the kind of extra service that's meant for those that have already bought the books and want them in different formats as well. But maybe that's what you meant; I can email him after I have bought them from Chessable?

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #18 - 01/30/18 at 17:25:37
Post Tools
To bring this Opening Repertoire for the Attacking Player tangent a bit back on topic:

The repertoire against flank openings, at least in the 1994 edition that I must have had, was as far as I recall based on the Wade Defence (1.Nf3 d6 2.d4 Bg4) the Lukin Variation (1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 d6 3.Nf3 f5 4.g3 Nf6 5.d4 e4) and related English lines, including 1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 d6 3.d4 exd4 4.Qxd4 Nc6 and 1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 d6 3.Nf3 f5 4.g3 Nf6 with d3 instead of d4.

The thing is, all of this has been covered in far greater depth in more recent books. Yrjölä and Tella: An Explosive Opening Repertoire for Black has all of these lines, while Barsky: A Universal Weapon 1.d4 d6 has most of them; those that can naturally arise from a 1.d4 move order.

So there's really no reason today to go out of one's way to get hold of this old repertoire. I don't know what the earlier editions recommended against flank openings, but it's more than likely the same point holds. And similarly; why play a gambit-based Scandinavian repertoire based on this old Keene book when you could use Smerdon's recent masterpiece instead!

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #17 - 01/30/18 at 17:22:49
Post Tools
an ordinary chessplayer wrote on 01/30/18 at 16:06:12:
Keene and Levy (1984) An Opening Repertoire for the Attacking Player

I think this edition is  Pirc+Benko Gambit

[Shakes fist] This is the book that left me cursed with the Pirc in my repertoire to this day  Roll Eyes

However its options against the flank openings with a d6+Dutch style set up has served me well to take the fight to flank opening players looking for an easy life, especially after I moved to a universal d6. I use the Wade (offered in ORAP with 1. Nf3 d6. 2. d4 Bg4) sparingly though. The seed of a lot of these lines was in ORAP, but it still have 1. d4 Nf6 and the Benko.

The 'Universal d6' has now been covered in quite a few repertoire books of recent times (Explosive Repertoire, 1. ..d6 Move by Move, and recently a  book named Universal d6 repertoire)

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #16 - 01/30/18 at 16:58:13
Post Tools
Ah yes ...seems it was in the '80s edition that they changed to the Chigorin (and kept it for the '90s one).   

I see an edition without "Club" in the title from New York 1977.  So maybe that word distinguished the British from the American edition.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo