Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) What to play against nd2? (Read 12524 times)
CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Re: What to play against nd2?
Reply #4 - 02/22/18 at 08:12:16
Post Tools
Against Nd2 c5 ed5 Qd5 you get lines most similar to the Sicilian that to French usual typical structures. If don't mind it, it's the way to go. 3...Nf6 is more "frenchie", typical pawn on e6, typical bad bishop to recycle... in that aspect it is easy to handle the positions.

I play 3...c5 intending Qxd5 and I suffered at little at the beginning (not because the positions, that are OK, but because of total open nature of the game, more like in the Sicilian). Now I am very satisfied with my choose. One key point in these lines is that usually you can get your pawns doubled and play gxf6 if you have enough development (you bishop will arrive soon to b7) because all the attacking chances are yours with Rg8 (or g7 to defend h7) and Bb7 against g2.

Salut,

The source is Ntirlis & Aagaard book, of course. And from White perspective Sergey Tiviakov and Michael Adams two-bishop technical wins are the model to follow.

IP Logged

TopNotch
God Member

I only look 1 move ahead,
but its always the best

Reply #3 - 02/22/18 at 03:55:00
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 02/21/18 at 21:42:36:
Hi all, I usually play nf6 against nd2, I actually play some of the lines in the simon williams book on the French. I love the sharp stuff but feel I don't have time to study it like I should. Anyone have a good option to play instead of that. I do,t mind sticking to nf6, maybe there's a good off best try I could use? Well any info would be great, and if you can provide a good reference, book or video, and players who use it, it would give me a good starting point to do my research. Thanks.

• Reference Work - Playing the French by Jacob Aagaard and Nikolaos Ntirlis - I play the Tarrasch as White and can confess to you that the analysis and recommendations in this book are annoyingly effective: 'Acclaimed authors Ntirlis and Aagaard present a complete repertoire for Black based on 3.Nc3 Nf6 and 3.Nd2 c5 (4 exd5 Qxd5!). With many new discoveries and detailed explanations of positional and strategic motifs, this book is essential reading for those playing this complex opening with either colour.'

• Modern advocates to watch - Lenderman; Vitiugov; Wang Hao; Malathatko, V; Lupulescu, C and Tiviakov (Yes even Tiviakov)

• Instructive videos to watch from Black's point of view - Not many that I can recommend to be honest -
    However, GM Damien Lemos' - Crush White with the French Defense (I think 2016) was pretty good, and you might enjoy that, especially as the Tarrasch recommendation is very similiar  to what Aagaardd and Ntirlis give in their book.

Hope that helps.

Bye,

The man who tries to do something and fails is infinitely better than he who tries to do nothing and succeeds - Lloyd Jones Smiley

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #2 - 02/21/18 at 23:47:13
Post Tools
Personally, I find 3...c5 4 exd5 Qxd5 the most annoying to face from the White side - there's some good material on it in Playing the French. If you don't mind playing an IQP, I'd suggest 3...c5 4 exd5 exd5 5 Nf3 and now 5...a6!?, stopping the usual Bb5(+), and aiming to keep as many pieces on the board as possible.

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #1 - 02/21/18 at 22:31:27
Post Tools
I'd recommend looking at 3...a6 first.  There are a few ideas in the "Dangerous Weapons" book that you might check out, though it's a bit dated now.  If 4.Nf3 Nf6 5.e5 you reach positions very similar to 3...Nf6 and have avoided the lines with f2-f4.
« Last Edit: 02/22/18 at 16:30:53 by ErictheRed »  

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

What to play against nd2?
02/21/18 at 21:42:36
Post Tools
Hi all, I usually play nf6 against nd2, I actually play some of the lines in the simon williams book on the French. I love the sharp stuff but feel I don't have time to study it like I should. Anyone have a good option to play instead of that. I do,t mind sticking to nf6, maybe there's a good off best try I could use? Well any info would be great, and if you can provide a good reference, book or video, and players who use it, it would give me a good starting point to do my research. Thanks.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo