Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Bragesjo's Taimanov (Read 5106 times)
Sauron

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Re: Bragesjo's Taimanov
Reply #4 - 03/28/18 at 10:26:06
Post Tools
By the way, van Kampen in his video series on Taimanov suggests black to play after 6.Be2 Nf6 7.0-0 Be7, and avoid -a6 altogether.

However, white can play play first 6.Be3 a6 (6.-Nf6?! 7.f4!) and now 7.Be2 and 8.0-0. This avoids this 'clever' idea completely.Van Kampen actually says that Scheveningen with -a6  is quite dangerous for black while theoretically ok.

Can black benefit from the Be3+Be2 move order? The only possibility is 7.-b5. Is this good enough for equality?

I personally don't like the classical  main line of Taimanov for black and currently prefer the Scheveningen approach.

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #3 - 03/27/18 at 16:54:45
Post Tools
This Topic was moved here from Dragon Sicilians [move by] MNb.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Reply #2 - 03/27/18 at 10:51:17
Post Tools
Sauron wrote on 03/27/18 at 09:46:28:
IMO white does not have much in the 8.-Nxd4 9.-Bc5 -line. I'm not convinced in the "improvement" 17.c4 given by Modernized: The Open Sicilian

Maybee black is equal. The reason I play g3 is that I played it since about 2002 an not becouse of any theoretical advantage but thats a different story for some other thread.

IP Logged

Sauron

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Reply #1 - 03/27/18 at 09:46:28
Post Tools
IMO white does not have much in the 8.-Nxd4 9.-Bc5 -line. I'm not convinced in the "improvement" 17.c4 given by Modernized: The Open Sicilian

bragesjo wrote on 03/23/18 at 13:57:04:
Many Taimanov lines are as sharp as Dragon but blacks position is a lot sounder so I played it for several years.
However there was one line I never liked to play against and it was g3, a line I actually play with white.
"The most flexiible sicilian" covered both a mainline with an ealy Bd7 and an unexplored aggresive option with an early h5.
However h5 deseved a double ?? mark, if white finds an improvment covered in "the Taimanov bible" blacks position is cleary worse.
I also had some bad luck that Be3 Qf3 system became the new mainline some years after that the book was realised so in short term I currently plays French since it can also rule out several d-paws specials and still alllow Nimzo but I will likely switch back to Taimanov in a near future when I get more time to study openings and find something to play vs Be3 Qf3 system.

Note from moderatior MNb: for the time being I keep this comment here, but if there will be follow ups about the Taimanov and/or French I will transfer the subthread.

1.Nf3! -  beat your opponent by killing his zest for life.

IP Logged

bragesjo
God Member

Long live the Nimzo Indian

Bragesjo's Taimanov
03/23/18 at 13:57:04
Post Tools
Many Taimanov lines are as sharp as Dragon but blacks position is a lot sounder so I played it for several years.
However there was one line I never liked to play against and it was g3, a line I actually play with white.
"The most flexiible sicilian" covered both a mainline with an ealy Bd7 and an unexplored aggresive option with an early h5.
However h5 deseved a double ?? mark, if white finds an improvment covered in "the Taimanov bible" blacks position is cleary worse.
I also had some bad luck that Be3 Qf3 system became the new mainline some years after that the book was realised so in short term I currently plays French since it can also rule out several d-paws specials and still alllow Nimzo but I will likely switch back to Taimanov in a near future when I get more time to study openings and find something to play vs Be3 Qf3 system.

Note from moderatior MNb: for the time being I keep this comment here, but if there will be follow ups about the Taimanov and/or French I will transfer the subthread.
« Last Edit: 03/23/18 at 14:59:11 by MNb »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo