Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) The French in Correspondence Play? (Read 5559 times)
ArKheiN
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Re: The French in Correspondence Play?
Reply #2 - 05/30/18 at 22:18:58
Post Tools
It seems that the French is far less popular than 1..e5 or 1..c5. Sveschnikov, 1..e5 and Najdorf are the 3 big openings, with low chance to be worse with good play, and chances to outplay a white guy who takes risks. I play myself the French at corr and I hold well at 25xx ICCF. But there is more risks to lose. There is winning chances too, that's why I still play it. It's a bit the KID of the 1.e4 but with better reputation but less chances to win as Black too. I don't play the Winawer but I think it's very risky. I play classical/Mc Cutcheon and I like it but computers doesn't play the French well sometimes and I have been in danger more than once and had to use my own ideas to survive.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: The French in Correspondence Play?
Reply #1 - 05/30/18 at 22:04:29
Post Tools
I have played the French since I was 15 so for 5 decades. Great opening OTB but have used it less and less since playing correspondence. Don't believe the Tarrasch lines hold any terrors for black particularly if you have 3...c5 in you repertoire, 3..Nf6 is a little more tricky. But I have struggled with the Winawer (my preferred OTB weapon), the Classical and McCutcheon have faired somewhat better but winning chances have been few and I have often been left defending an inferior position.

IP Logged

WSS

I Love ChessPublishing!

The French in Correspondence Play?
05/30/18 at 18:05:24
Post Tools
I am curious how the French is holding up in correspondence play?  Is the Winawer or Classical more successful for Black?  How does it compare to other major tries for Black versus 1.e4 such as the Sicilian or the Open Games (1.e4 e5)?

Thanks!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo