Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Long Chess In 2018 (Online) (Read 20336 times)
RoleyPoley
YaBB Moderator

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Long Chess In 2018 (Online)
Reply #16 - 06/14/18 at 09:07:21
Post Tools
ChessIsWar wrote on 06/14/18 at 08:22:51:
Chess24 = This does indeed seem to be where the best instructional videos are today so I'm definitely considering a monthly premium there right now.

When i last looked, i didnt think Chess24 had that large a number of videos available? How often do they add new ones?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 06/14/18 at 08:38:59
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 06/14/18 at 08:22:03:
tipau wrote on 06/14/18 at 08:13:19:
CanadianClub wrote on 06/14/18 at 07:26:16:
the studies in lichess are something really awesome to teach some youngsters or get classes yourself from a coach.

I'd second that. In addition to lessons I also use lichess studies to store my own game and opening analysis. Despite it being free I think lichess is above all the other sites mentioned for both playing and analysing online.

I've wondered about these functions. Can you choose to keep some or all games and analyses private? Or will it automatically be searchable or accessible to other?

When you create a new study there are three options: public, unlisted or private. Most of my studies are private, which it sounds like you'd want too. With private studies noone else can see it unless you invite someone (a coach for example) to join. If you do that you can still remove them later if you want.

You can also easily export studies as a pgn. I find that really useful for my opening analysis which I export and upload to chessable complete with comments.

FIDE: ~2100

IP Logged

ChessIsWar

Reply #14 - 06/14/18 at 08:22:51
Post Tools
the studies in lichess are something really awesome to teach some youngsters or get classes yourself from a coach.

I'd second that. In addition to lessons I also use lichess studies to store my own game and opening analysis. Despite it being free I think lichess is above all the other sites mentioned for both playing and analysing online. I'm always surprised at how bad chess.com is in comparison considering the amount of money they have. Chess24 has the best instructional content that I'm aware of, so I'm also happy to be a premium member there to have access to it.

I pretty much agree with all of this although IMO, Chess.com has gotten better over the past year or so. It hosts rated USCF games with different FIDE style time controls several days a week and I want to play in those. It also has a great tactics trainer and I like having unlimited access to that so right there, I thought I'd try the diamond again for a month and see how it goes.

ChessTempo = Fantastic. I've been working on there on and off since I started playing a handful of years ago.

Lichess = Absolutely all sorts of uses and free so of course I have an account on there.

Chess24 = This does indeed seem to be where the best instructional videos are today so I'm definitely considering a monthly premium there right now.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #13 - 06/14/18 at 08:22:03
Post Tools

I'd second that. In addition to lessons I also use lichess studies to store my own game and opening analysis. Despite it being free I think lichess is above all the other sites mentioned for both playing and analysing online.

I've wondered about these functions. Can you choose to keep some or all games and analyses private? Or will it automatically be searchable or accessible to other?

I had the same concern about something I just read about the new ChessTempo opening trainer (thanks to IsaVulpes for the tip): That you should make sure to mark comments as private if you're using comments from some book. That means the default is comments are visible to others, which has to mean the default (or even only option) is the actual moves can be accessed by others. But if I store my repertoire in a place like that, I don't want it to be accessible to anyone else.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

tipau

I Like ChessPublishing!

Reply #12 - 06/14/18 at 08:13:19
Post Tools

I'd second that. In addition to lessons I also use lichess studies to store my own game and opening analysis. Despite it being free I think lichess is above all the other sites mentioned for both playing and analysing online. I'm always surprised at how bad chess.com is in comparison considering the amount of money they have. Chess24 has the best instructional content that I'm aware of, so I'm also happy to be a premium member there to have access to it.

FIDE: ~2100

IP Logged

CanadianClub

Greetings from Catalonia!

Reply #11 - 06/14/18 at 07:26:16
Post Tools
I don't know how is teaching are in chess.com is, but the studies in lichess are something really awesome to teach some youngsters or get classes yourself from a coach. I change from ICC to lichess because or the "studies" there and it was a really nice decision.

I play only blitz online, 5+3 basically, anb lichess is perfect for me.

Someone said about chess24. His software is beautiful, but connectivity is bad, lagging from server, sometimes the board freezes (not only playing but seeing videos also), etc... I hope they would fix this because in terms of content maybe is the better option.

As a long term controls, I am going ty try lichess4545. I didn't know it and it seems to suit perfectly with training needs.

Thx

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #10 - 06/14/18 at 06:55:29
Post Tools
You can also play chess on the premier tactics website on the net, ChessTempo, and with its newly created Opening Trainer, the linkup might be nice? You get to directly check where your weaknesses are, and iirc the integration will automatically ask you more often to find the right move in position X, if you failed to find it during a game etc?

Have personally never played there, but wanted to throw the option out there

E: Personally I do all my playing on Lichess, and have seen no reason to switch to elsewhere since I created my account on it.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #9 - 06/14/18 at 06:28:07
Post Tools
ChessIsWar wrote on 06/14/18 at 02:20:16:
I like Lichess and have since it's inception but once you're paying for Chess.com or PlayChess, it becomes much more of a footnote in the repertoire of sites you play on.

As for ICC today: I think a lot just haven't really caught up with it much lately but if you monitor chess-links and read the ICC forums, you'll see that it's really become a ghost town over there. It is a shame as Blitzin + ICC was great but time has most certainly marched on and if you have Chessbase software running PlayChess premium - it's much better than what ICC offers today. Honestly, Chess.com + a diamond sub is miles ahead of ICC now, too.

I'm checking out Chess24 and it looks cool. I like the interface for watching/kibitzing.

I have good friends who play on Lichess. Why not since it's free, right? And I sometimes coach kids in my area, and many of them are on Chess.com. It seems they are just much better at marketing, and especially towards younger players, than the other servers.

So now I have good reason to play everywhere: ICC for nostalgic reasons (and to connect with friends who are still there), Lichess to connect with friends, Chess.com to connect with students, Chess24 since I have an account there anyway, and Playchess because there are more strong players there.

But that's five servers at the same time... I almost long for the innocent days when ICC actually was, as they still claim in their marketing, "the only place the A-list gravitates to"!

IP Logged

ChessIsWar

Reply #8 - 06/14/18 at 02:20:16
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 06/13/18 at 18:19:53:
barnaby wrote on 06/13/18 at 15:42:25:
Chess 24 > Lichess > ICC

Thanks for that. But what are you comparing them on?

Number of players/games, strength of players, user interface, tournaments to play, extra features like tactics, game analysis, databases or videos? Or all of the above?

I like Lichess and have since it's inception but once you're paying for Chess.com or PlayChess, it becomes much more of a footnote in the repertoire of sites you play on.

As for ICC today: I think a lot just haven't really caught up with it much lately but if you monitor chess-links and read the ICC forums, you'll see that it's really become a ghost town over there. It is a shame as Blitzin + ICC was great but time has most certainly marched on and if you have Chessbase software running PlayChess premium - it's much better than what ICC offers today. Honestly, Chess.com + a diamond sub is miles ahead of ICC now, too.

I'm checking out Chess24 and it looks cool. I like the interface for watching/kibitzing.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #7 - 06/13/18 at 18:19:53
Post Tools
barnaby wrote on 06/13/18 at 15:42:25:
Chess 24 > Lichess > ICC

Thanks for that. But what are you comparing them on?

Number of players/games, strength of players, user interface, tournaments to play, extra features like tactics, game analysis, databases or videos? Or all of the above?

IP Logged

barnaby

The night is dark and
full of terrors.

Reply #6 - 06/13/18 at 15:42:25
Post Tools
Chess 24 > Lichess > ICC

IP Logged

ChessIsWar

Reply #5 - 06/13/18 at 15:17:57
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 06/12/18 at 15:39:30:
ChessIsWar wrote on 06/12/18 at 13:38:03:
- ICC has fallen off the map. No shock here at this point.

Sad to hear that. I've played most of my online chess on the ICC, but now I haven't played online blitz at all for a year (and only rarely the last couple of years before that). I can't say I noticed any lack of available opponents the last time I was active there, so it must have happened fast.

- PlayChess is the most difficult server at any time control.

You mean "difficult" as in easy to find strong opponents? Sounds like that's my new go-to place in that case. I only tried it briefly years ago.

You didn't mention Chess24. I'm already paying for an account there (to watch the videos), so I might as well try playing there too. But I have no idea if it's easy to get games against expert and master level opponents there. (I'm looking mostly for blitz, and preferably with a small increment, but enjoy some bullet now and then too).

Thanks for the heads up about Chess24. This is the only site we're talking about here that I'm completely unfamiliar with so I'll make sure I give it a look here today.

Most of you on here are way, way beyond me. I'm at like 1400 rapid on Chess.com and 1600 classical on Lichess but those numbers will be rising fast and already are as I have been playing on and off for almost 4 years now and have just never devoted myself fully to the game as I was also playing poker full time during a large portion of this period. At this point, I've picked back up a Diamond to Chess.com, a Gold to ChessTempo, and will be renewing my PlayChess/Chessbase monthly premium. I live north of NYC currently and there are probably more opportunities for me to play within a 2 hour radius than if I lived anywhere else in the country so I've started looking at the kind of OTB tournaments I'm going to begin attending. I'm 36 now and have only played 2 rated USCF games and they were 3+ years ago when I first started and were against 1500+ players. I'm excited to start getting some legitimately competitive experience.

As for most difficult site: Yes, that's what I meant when I was talking about PlayChess. Both the blitz and long games there are by far the most challenging you'll find now. I'm by no means an expert at the game yet but I do know a lot about the software and sites available to us. I don't think you'll be anything less than quite pleased with PlayChess.

As said, I'm definitely looking into those Lichess leagues, too and appreciate the heads up on those, as well. Lastly, I'm looking into this online school to serve as the backbone of my studies (Chessmasterschooldotcom). If anyone has any experience or knowledge of this program please let me know as I haven't purchased the monthly yet but would like to within the next few days.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #4 - 06/12/18 at 16:19:40
Post Tools
tipau wrote on 06/12/18 at 09:39:07:
I've played solely on lichess for a while now. You don't mention the sort of time controls you want to play but you might want to check out lichess4545. There are 2 events, both have one game per week and you arrange a time with your opponent that suit you both.

1) The 'LoneWolf' tournament. An individual swiss event with a 30+30 time control: https://www.lichess4545.com/lonewolf/

2) The 4545 league. A team event with a 45+45 time control. You enter the league and they sort the players into evenly matched teams: https://www.lichess4545.com/team4545/

I've played both a couple of times. If you are rated say 1900+ FIDE the level of competition is better in the team event, where you can play on a high board each match, rather than play a large number of weaker players in the early rounds of the LoneWolf event.

I'm also active in LoneWolf and 4545 League, and can recommend both (also join my new 960 league Wink )!

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #3 - 06/12/18 at 15:39:30
Post Tools

Sad to hear that. I've played most of my online chess on the ICC, but now I haven't played online blitz at all for a year (and only rarely the last couple of years before that). I can't say I noticed any lack of available opponents the last time I was active there, so it must have happened fast.

You mean "difficult" as in easy to find strong opponents? Sounds like that's my new go-to place in that case. I only tried it briefly years ago.

You didn't mention Chess24. I'm already paying for an account there (to watch the videos), so I might as well try playing there too. But I have no idea if it's easy to get games against expert and master level opponents there. (I'm looking mostly for blitz, and preferably with a small increment, but enjoy some bullet now and then too).

IP Logged

ChessIsWar

Reply #2 - 06/12/18 at 13:38:03
Post Tools
Thanks to the response to this. I made a similar query on Chessdotcom but not to my surprise, nobody had a clue. After I made the OP last night, I did some digging:

- Chessdotcom is pretty unavoidable now and is a main hub.
- I'll most definitely look into the Lichess leagues you've mentioned. Thanks for the information.

The most professional, competitive long chess is now played in the ANCL on PlayChess. 90+5 time control. The 90+30 league that was on ICC for ages is now gone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo