Latest Updates:
Normal Topic The Full English Opening by Hansen (Read 4066 times)
Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Re: The Full English Opening by Hansen
Reply #6 - 11/02/18 at 18:35:38
Post Tools
I've just received it and......my wife has hidden it away to wrap for Christmas !

IP Logged

TD

Feyenoord forever!

Reply #5 - 09/04/18 at 19:26:00
Post Tools

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #4 - 07/19/18 at 07:47:53
Post Tools
Hm, the pdf sample is not that encouraging. I quote:

"it appears that having the bishop on g2 (compared to e2/d3 in the normal Semi-Tarrasch) is a significant plus for White, who scores very well in this line:"
immediately makes me wonder what exactly makes g2 a superior square for this bishop. Tha author doesn't tell us. That page is not what the author wants the book to be and after a superficial look at the next few pages neither are the subsequent pages.
This doesn't mean the book is worthless; I don't see any difference with dozens of other books (like IM Cummings also on the English). Perhaps this is because I did not wake up well and my sight is a bit hazy.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #3 - 07/19/18 at 07:02:01
Post Tools
These days complete theory isn’t possible in one volume but here you get a solid theoretical backbone and full understanding in all important variations of the English Opening!
Very lucid explanations, well chosen and topical games (up to January 2018!), interesting (and demanding) exercises  ...
After going through one chapter I already really love this book and hope that it is just the opener of a new series: The full French, The full Nimzo ...

tracke  Smiley

PS:
Obviously Hansen restricts himself to A10-A39 , transpositions to other openings are often mentioned but not discussed or evaluated. For example, after 1 c4 g6 only 2 e4 e5 is dealt with. If you have something else not transposing to the King‘s or Symmetrical English, you are on your own.

PPS:
Maybe this book has slight sympathies for the white side but it’s certainly also a very good source for black players looking for 1 c4 e5 or 1 c4 c5 (or 1 c4 Nf6 transposing) which hasn’t decided yet which subsystem to choose.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #2 - 06/27/18 at 20:35:37
Post Tools

IP Logged

helmet
YaBB Newbies

Reply #1 - 06/27/18 at 20:10:40
Post Tools
Much prefer this style of book as like to be able to choose own lines, rather than go down a forced repetoire route.
       Hopefully though it will include more explanation than his previous work did on the symetrical, which was high on coverage but low on explanation and plans

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

The Full English Opening by Hansen
06/15/18 at 09:42:06
Post Tools
The Full English Opening: Mastering the Fundamentals by Carsten Hansen. New in Chess. July 2018.

Looks like a very interesting book, not a repertoire book, but a coverage of all English lines. Hopefully with good explanations.

From the Publisher:

"Teaches the fundamentals and is the first one-volume book that covers all major variations".

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo