Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Stone wall or classical dutch? (Read 6850 times)
RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Stone wall or classical dutch?
Reply #7 - 08/14/18 at 15:17:30
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 08/14/18 at 14:18:22:
Brabo still played the Stonewall less than a month ago; I just checked. As far as I know he never has been fanatical enough about the opening to force it onto his pupils.
IIrc the main problem accroding to him is the English and Reti with d3 and e4.

Thanks MNB. I wasnt trying to suggest he did force onto players (apologies if it sounded that way) - but i think some coaches may be less considered when helping their charges develop their repertoires.

Thanks also for clarifying the lines - i have a terrible memory and couldnt remember what they were

@Mtal - its probably in better shape than i may have implied earlier Smiley

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #6 - 08/14/18 at 14:18:22
Post Tools
Brabo still played the Stonewall less than a month ago; I just checked. As far as I know he never has been fanatical enough about the opening to force it onto his pupils.
IIrc the main problem accroding to him is the English and Reti with d3 and e4.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 08/14/18 at 09:34:19
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 08/07/18 at 00:49:01:
RoleyPoley wrote on 07/10/18 at 08:18:02:
I forgot to also say that i found Brabo's analysis on the stonewall fascinating and was partly inspired to play that opening because of him talking about it on here...however, my reluctance to play it is also because of Brabo and his highlighting of lines which are troublesome for black.

Where is this analysis?

Pretty much where ever Brabo contributes on this forum (or on his own website). I'll try to dig out the most recent post that i can recall where he talks about the lines which have left him either no longer playing the stonewall or at least recommending it to players he coaches.

The thread on the Johanson book he helped with has a lot of discussion in but that is obviously quite some time ago.

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 08/07/18 at 00:49:01
Post Tools
RoleyPoley wrote on 07/10/18 at 08:18:02:
I forgot to also say that i found Brabo's analysis on the stonewall fascinating and was partly inspired to play that opening because of him talking about it on here...however, my reluctance to play it is also because of Brabo and his highlighting of lines which are troublesome for black.

Where is this analysis?

IP Logged

HgMan
God Member

Demand me nothing: What
you know, you know

Reply #3 - 07/11/18 at 17:41:44
Post Tools
I tried the Stonewall in a couple of recent correspondence chess tournaments. I found it interesting and solid (and echo RoleyPoley's appreciation for Brabo's analysis on these boards). I'd need to study it a bit further, but in the end I'm not sure it suited my play terribly. But I did like its relative solidity and will definitely return to it on occasion.

Inasmuch as I used to play the Bird as White in the manner of a Classical Dutch, I've never fully brought myself to want to play it as Black. I've had very good results against it, which I think tempered my desire to try and defend its honour.

We've discussed this topic before on these boards, but I suspect that the real questions surrounding Dutch plans involve how to start (with 1...f5 or 1...e6) and what kinds of move-order challenges Black needs to prepare. I came around to the notion that I preferred avoiding some anti-Dutch lines and that meant opening with 1...e6, but I didn't want to play the French—and didn't trust my English Defence (1.d4 e6 2.e4 b6) as being as stalwart an option as others...

"Luck favours the prepared mind."  --Louis Pasteur

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 07/10/18 at 08:18:02
Post Tools

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 07/09/18 at 20:31:59
Post Tools
Mtal wrote on 07/09/18 at 04:12:15:
Hi all, just wondering, for my dutch players out there, so you prefer the stone wall or classical and why? I used to play the stone wall but been trying the classical for a little bit and do not know what to choose. Like to hear the more experienced players opinions about them. Thanks.

I started playing the 7...Qe8 lines of the classical a couple of years ago as i was looking for a relatively straightforward opening (aim for a kingside hack, attacking plans similar to in the grand prix attack/ austrian attack in Pirc) i could get on the board regularly (i play via the 1...e6 move order) and could adopt against an english set up.

I was tempted to play the stonewall but felt that it could only be played in a fewer situations. However, i am now looking at taking up the stone wall in addition to the classical because in some positions black is recommended to go into a stone wall set up and i think it is good to get used to those positions.

I find with the classical the positions can get quite messy against players at my level which helps me a bit as i am always in time trouble so the mess helps me sometimes get out through tactical means.

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Mtal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Stone wall or classical dutch?
07/09/18 at 04:12:15
Post Tools
Hi all, just wondering, for my dutch players out there, so you prefer the stone wall or classical and why? I used to play the stone wall but been trying the classical for a little bit and do not know what to choose. Like to hear the more experienced players opinions about them. Thanks.

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo