Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Keep It Simple: 1.e4 by IM Sielecki (Read 16899 times)
Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Keep It Simple: 1.e4 by IM Sielecki
Reply #41 - 03/15/19 at 07:56:44
Post Tools
I'm glad I bought the book. It really presents a simple repertoire which seems easy to learn and maintain. Some of the choices may be too boring in the long run but a lot of the ideas are great from what I have read until now. It is curious that the Scotch opening is so much fun while the Four Knights Scotch may be less interesting. Probably the book is perfect if you are to play in a tough tournament with many rounds within few days due to the maintainability. This book combined with Shaw seems perfect. When 1. e4 has been more or less perfected, the Ruy Lopez should probably be added to the repertoire...

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #40 - 03/05/19 at 09:17:47
Post Tools
Perhaps Glek's Fianachetto instead of the Scottish Four Knights?
The French Exchange might be replaced by the Two Knights 1.e4 e6 2.Nf3 d5 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.e5 Nfd7 5.d4.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 03/05/19 at 07:20:42
Post Tools
If I were to write a book on a simple way to play 1. e4, the first line attracting me against the Caro Kann would be 1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. ed5 cd5 4. c3/Lf4/Ld3 where we get a reversed Carlsbad. As we don't have a symmetrical pawn structure, it will probably be a lot more interesting than the exchange variation in the French and Slav which to me are quite dull.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 03/04/19 at 23:44:41
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 03/04/19 at 18:59:46:
Against the Caro, Sielecki recommends Nc3 and Nf3, the Two Knights variation.

I've switched to this as well. Despite playing the Short system since it was first developed nearly 30 years ago, I've concluded that I couldn't make it work against well prepared opposition. It doesn't help that there isn't really a consensus on what is the "main line".

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #37 - 03/04/19 at 21:18:08
Post Tools
Paul Brondal wrote on 03/04/19 at 11:26:44:
What do you think of the book and what do you consider to be the target audience? I have the Shaw books on 1. e4 which are really good. However, being relatively new to playing 1. e4, there is a lot of theory and it is nice to have alternatives. For instance, I'm not crazy about his 3. e5 against the Caro Kann. Thanks a million for your input!

Sielecki's book is fantastic and achieves what it set out to achieve.  The only negative about the book is that simplicity is a two-sided coin; on the other side of simplicity you might find boredom such as dry or stale pawn structures - especially in the Four Knights Scotch and the Exchange French.  That is not a fault of the book but a consequence of simplicity.

I think 2100 Fide can gain a lot from the book.  Compared to your Reti/English setups, you might note that 1.e4 can be played with the subtlety of a Neanderthal yet White will still enjoy a fundamentally reasonable position with a fairly high margin for error.  The openings lead to positions where the most natural or intuitive move is probably a good move that does not spoil anything.

I also do not like the Advance Caro-Kann with h2-h4; it feels too loose and airy to me.  Just a personal feeling.  I would much rather play the "Short variation"  of the Advance.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #36 - 03/04/19 at 18:59:46
Post Tools
Against the Caro, Sielecki recommends Nc3 and Nf3, the Two Knights variation.

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 03/04/19 at 18:16:17
Post Tools
IsaVulpes, that is a good question! As I mentioned, it is only recently that I have started to play 1. e4. The normal first move has been 1. c4 entering Reti/English openings. However, life is too short to avoid playing Fischer's favourite move. I'm sure that Shaw's  line with e5 is fine but for an old-fashioned positional-wannabe, this line seems strange. Especially when Shaw recommends 3. Sd2 against the French which totally suits me. I love Shaw's recommendation against the Sveshnikov but would prefer a more Karpovian Le2 setup against the Najdorf instead of the English attack but it is just a matter of taste.

I was impatient and ordered the Sielecki book after I read your answer. His video on the English opening is excellent and it seems great to have the Rossolimo and Alapin as alternatives to the heavy Sicilian main lines. I will soon be 54 and my fide rating is about 2100!

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #34 - 03/04/19 at 17:59:15
Post Tools
Paul Brondal wrote on 03/04/19 at 11:26:44:
For instance, I'm not crazy about his 3. e5 against the Caro Kann.

Am curious as to why - I don't know your rating, but at mine (~2000 FIDE) pretty much nobody has played the critical highly complicated 'Morozevich stuff', while everything else turned out to be more or less a "free win" - despite minimal actual line study.

I checked the online database on lichess for 2000+ playing Not-Bullet, and there even the Moro line has a massive plus score for White, signifying practical use (ie even if you don't know everything, you're far more likely to navigate the waters correctly).

3. ..c5 always felt to me like the more uncomfortable line to face, but there too my results have been good, I just don't really feel like I know what I'm doing.

What's your issue with the variation?

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #33 - 03/04/19 at 11:26:44
Post Tools
What do you think of the book and what do you consider to be the target audience? I have the Shaw books on 1. e4 which are really good. However, being relatively new to playing 1. e4, there is a lot of theory and it is nice to have alternatives. For instance, I'm not crazy about his 3. e5 against the Caro Kann. Thanks a million for your input!

IP Logged

VGA
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #32 - 01/17/19 at 05:04:20
Post Tools
The book is now available in the Forward Chess app!

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #31 - 11/03/18 at 07:57:50
Post Tools
The book is now available from New in Chess Smiley

IP Logged

alyechin

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 08/06/18 at 17:12:19
Post Tools
I think developing an e4-repertoire, starting with simple lines is better than learning system openings like KIA, Colle, London, Torre, Stonewall, etc.

It is better for the development of a player. Fischer said:
"Best by test!"

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #29 - 08/05/18 at 09:50:18
Post Tools
Mr. Sielecki,

Could you be please so kind and tell us when the book published by New in Chess comes out, and if it will be the same format/repertoire as the one published by chessable.

Like many others I supose, I can hardly wait for the book to be printed.

Please could you in few words tell us about repertoire and chosen lines.

Thanks in advance  Smiley

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #28 - 08/03/18 at 12:27:59
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 08/02/18 at 22:38:52:
As French player, I do not mind playing chess from an equal position, albeit symmetrical. Just my preference. I am sure that there are some French players that land in big depression when they see 3. exd5 on board. Worrying about draw seems illogical considering that people play Najdorf and Grünfeld when there are innumerable forced draws all over the place there.

I would be more worried about someone spending hours trying to bust some 30-40-something moves long line in my Winawer repertoire, which took me weeks to analyse  Cheesy

Exactly right.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #27 - 08/03/18 at 12:27:22
Post Tools
IsaVulpes wrote on 08/02/18 at 13:42:02:
What will you dread, though?

3.Nd2 and 3.Nc3. I dread both to some extent.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo