Latest Updates:
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Keep It Simple: 1.e4 by IM Sielecki (Read 16902 times)
Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Keep It Simple: 1.e4 by IM Sielecki
Reply #41 - 03/15/19 at 07:56:44
Post Tools
I'm glad I bought the book. It really presents a simple repertoire which seems easy to learn and maintain. Some of the choices may be too boring in the long run but a lot of the ideas are great from what I have read until now. It is curious that the Scotch opening is so much fun while the Four Knights Scotch may be less interesting. Probably the book is perfect if you are to play in a tough tournament with many rounds within few days due to the maintainability. This book combined with Shaw seems perfect. When 1. e4 has been more or less perfected, the Ruy Lopez should probably be added to the repertoire...

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #40 - 03/05/19 at 09:17:47
Post Tools
Perhaps Glek's Fianachetto instead of the Scottish Four Knights?
The French Exchange might be replaced by the Two Knights 1.e4 e6 2.Nf3 d5 3.Nc3 Nf6 4.e5 Nfd7 5.d4.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #39 - 03/05/19 at 07:20:42
Post Tools
If I were to write a book on a simple way to play 1. e4, the first line attracting me against the Caro Kann would be 1. e4 c6 2. d4 d5 3. ed5 cd5 4. c3/Lf4/Ld3 where we get a reversed Carlsbad. As we don't have a symmetrical pawn structure, it will probably be a lot more interesting than the exchange variation in the French and Slav which to me are quite dull.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #38 - 03/04/19 at 23:44:41
Post Tools
ReneDescartes wrote on 03/04/19 at 18:59:46:
Against the Caro, Sielecki recommends Nc3 and Nf3, the Two Knights variation.

I've switched to this as well. Despite playing the Short system since it was first developed nearly 30 years ago, I've concluded that I couldn't make it work against well prepared opposition. It doesn't help that there isn't really a consensus on what is the "main line".

IP Logged

katar

look another year went
by

Reply #37 - 03/04/19 at 21:18:08
Post Tools
Paul Brondal wrote on 03/04/19 at 11:26:44:
What do you think of the book and what do you consider to be the target audience? I have the Shaw books on 1. e4 which are really good. However, being relatively new to playing 1. e4, there is a lot of theory and it is nice to have alternatives. For instance, I'm not crazy about his 3. e5 against the Caro Kann. Thanks a million for your input!

Sielecki's book is fantastic and achieves what it set out to achieve.  The only negative about the book is that simplicity is a two-sided coin; on the other side of simplicity you might find boredom such as dry or stale pawn structures - especially in the Four Knights Scotch and the Exchange French.  That is not a fault of the book but a consequence of simplicity.

I think 2100 Fide can gain a lot from the book.  Compared to your Reti/English setups, you might note that 1.e4 can be played with the subtlety of a Neanderthal yet White will still enjoy a fundamentally reasonable position with a fairly high margin for error.  The openings lead to positions where the most natural or intuitive move is probably a good move that does not spoil anything.

I also do not like the Advance Caro-Kann with h2-h4; it feels too loose and airy to me.  Just a personal feeling.  I would much rather play the "Short variation"  of the Advance.

2078 uscf
IP Logged

ReneDescartes
God Member

Qu'est-ce donc que je
suis? Une chose qui pense.

Reply #36 - 03/04/19 at 18:59:46
Post Tools
Against the Caro, Sielecki recommends Nc3 and Nf3, the Two Knights variation.

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #35 - 03/04/19 at 18:16:17
Post Tools
IsaVulpes, that is a good question! As I mentioned, it is only recently that I have started to play 1. e4. The normal first move has been 1. c4 entering Reti/English openings. However, life is too short to avoid playing Fischer's favourite move. I'm sure that Shaw's  line with e5 is fine but for an old-fashioned positional-wannabe, this line seems strange. Especially when Shaw recommends 3. Sd2 against the French which totally suits me. I love Shaw's recommendation against the Sveshnikov but would prefer a more Karpovian Le2 setup against the Najdorf instead of the English attack but it is just a matter of taste.

I was impatient and ordered the Sielecki book after I read your answer. His video on the English opening is excellent and it seems great to have the Rossolimo and Alapin as alternatives to the heavy Sicilian main lines. I will soon be 54 and my fide rating is about 2100!

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #34 - 03/04/19 at 17:59:15
Post Tools
Paul Brondal wrote on 03/04/19 at 11:26:44:
For instance, I'm not crazy about his 3. e5 against the Caro Kann.

Am curious as to why - I don't know your rating, but at mine (~2000 FIDE) pretty much nobody has played the critical highly complicated 'Morozevich stuff', while everything else turned out to be more or less a "free win" - despite minimal actual line study.

I checked the online database on lichess for 2000+ playing Not-Bullet, and there even the Moro line has a massive plus score for White, signifying practical use (ie even if you don't know everything, you're far more likely to navigate the waters correctly).

3. ..c5 always felt to me like the more uncomfortable line to face, but there too my results have been good, I just don't really feel like I know what I'm doing.

What's your issue with the variation?

IP Logged

Paul Brondal

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #33 - 03/04/19 at 11:26:44
Post Tools
What do you think of the book and what do you consider to be the target audience? I have the Shaw books on 1. e4 which are really good. However, being relatively new to playing 1. e4, there is a lot of theory and it is nice to have alternatives. For instance, I'm not crazy about his 3. e5 against the Caro Kann. Thanks a million for your input!

IP Logged

VGA
YaBB Newbies

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #32 - 01/17/19 at 05:04:20
Post Tools
The book is now available in the Forward Chess app!

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #31 - 11/03/18 at 07:57:50
Post Tools
The book is now available from New in Chess Smiley

IP Logged

alyechin

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #30 - 08/06/18 at 17:12:19
Post Tools
I think developing an e4-repertoire, starting with simple lines is better than learning system openings like KIA, Colle, London, Torre, Stonewall, etc.

It is better for the development of a player. Fischer said:
"Best by test!"

IP Logged

rossia

Saw: "Game Over!"

Reply #29 - 08/05/18 at 09:50:18
Post Tools
Mr. Sielecki,

Could you be please so kind and tell us when the book published by New in Chess comes out, and if it will be the same format/repertoire as the one published by chessable.

Like many others I supose, I can hardly wait for the book to be printed.

Please could you in few words tell us about repertoire and chosen lines.

Thanks in advance  Smiley

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #28 - 08/03/18 at 12:27:59
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 08/02/18 at 22:38:52:
As French player, I do not mind playing chess from an equal position, albeit symmetrical. Just my preference. I am sure that there are some French players that land in big depression when they see 3. exd5 on board. Worrying about draw seems illogical considering that people play Najdorf and Grünfeld when there are innumerable forced draws all over the place there.

I would be more worried about someone spending hours trying to bust some 30-40-something moves long line in my Winawer repertoire, which took me weeks to analyse  Cheesy

Exactly right.

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #27 - 08/03/18 at 12:27:22
Post Tools
IsaVulpes wrote on 08/02/18 at 13:42:02:
What will you dread, though?

3.Nd2 and 3.Nc3. I dread both to some extent.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #26 - 08/02/18 at 22:38:52
Post Tools
As French player, I do not mind playing chess from an equal position, albeit symmetrical. Just my preference. I am sure that there are some French players that land in big depression when they see 3. exd5 on board. Worrying about draw seems illogical considering that people play Najdorf and Grünfeld when there are innumerable forced draws all over the place there.

I would be more worried about someone spending hours trying to bust some 30-40-something moves long line in my Winawer repertoire, which took me weeks to analyse  Cheesy

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #25 - 08/02/18 at 13:42:02
Post Tools
Keano wrote on 08/02/18 at 13:36:56:
As a French player I will not be dreading anybody essaying the Exchange variation against me.

What will you dread, though?

IP Logged

Keano
God Member

Money doesn't talk, it
swears.

Reply #24 - 08/02/18 at 13:36:56
Post Tools
As a French player I will not be dreading anybody essaying the Exchange variation against me.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #23 - 07/25/18 at 10:11:02
Post Tools
I think the Prins works on every level, the endgame (Ch 1) might be hard to win, but it seems you can push really hard because it is very hard to lose. Stigma is right about the d4 line.

IP Logged

alyechin

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #22 - 07/24/18 at 19:57:18
Post Tools
Today I got "Steamrolling the Sicilian". I like it. Thank you for the advice. It is a good amateur's opening!

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #21 - 07/22/18 at 12:44:39
Post Tools
alyechin wrote on 07/22/18 at 09:33:08:
I ordered Kasparov: "Steamrolling the sicillian" to make the "Simple repertoire" less predictable.

Variety is the spice of life. I browsed this book a bit just a few days ago. My first impression is I would be OK with facing the lines with ...e5 and ...a5 - the positions are interesting even if they're ultimately equal. That goes for both the move order mentioned by MNb and the one given in Experts on the Anti-Sicilians - that chapter has generously been made available for free by QC here: http://www.qualitychess.co.uk/ebooks/ExpertsontheAnti-Sicilian-Beating5.f3with5....

There is however a recently popular line where Kasparov's coverage comes up short: 5.f3 e5 6.Nb3 d5 7.Bg5 d4. He may be excused since this was a rare sideline back in 2013. After the further 8.c3 Nc6 9.Bb5 he only mentions 9...Be6, but that's not Black's best move. I would put in some analysis effort here.

alyechin wrote on 07/22/18 at 09:33:08:
What do you think about "The modern Vienna Game" by Ovetchkin & Soloviov?

I played the Vienna/Bishop's Game a bit years ago. Haven't picked up this book yet, but there is a ChessPub thread on it, where "pubbers" had some issues with it: http://www.chesspub.com/cgi-bin/chess/YaBB.pl?num=1407440347

I probably won't be playing the Scotch 4 Knights anytime soon, but 1.e4 e5 is a part of Sielecki's repertoire where it's fairly easy to substitute something more interesting.

Delchev's book Bc4 against the Open Games is on a special offer from Forward Chess, probably until the end of July. it covers both 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 and 1.e4 e5 2.Bc4 move orders. (I don't see the Hungarian Defence covered directly - Delchev seems to think Black's alternative to 4...Nf6 after 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Be7 4.d3 are not worth preparing for, so he only covers 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 Nc6 3.Bc4 Nf6 4.d3 Be7).

Other more or less simple options are the Ruy Lopez with an early d3 or the Ruy with the Yates variation in place of the Closed main lines. Even the Scotch can be played with mostly low-theory sidelines - I believe Vallejo Pons presented just such a Scotch repertoire in a Chess24 video.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

alyechin

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #20 - 07/22/18 at 09:33:08
Post Tools
I ordered Kasparov: "Steamrolling the sicillian" to make the "Simple repertoire" less predictable.

What do you think about "The modern Vienna Game" by Ovetchkin & Soloviov?

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #19 - 07/20/18 at 09:31:10
Post Tools
I really like Sielecki's book on the Nimzo/Bogo, and I don't much like the Bogo. As to the Chessable part, I have a couple of books there but am sort of ambivalent about the learning by rote idea.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #18 - 07/19/18 at 01:22:45
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 07/19/18 at 00:52:21:
I might be missing something, but how can discuss the repertoire if the book says publishes on December and there is no excerpt yet ?

An electronic version is already out, on Chessable.
By the way, I came across Sielecki saying on June 20 that his deadline for turning in the manuscript was coming up in ten days.  I wonder if it will really take 5 months to come out.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #17 - 07/19/18 at 00:52:21
Post Tools
I might be missing something, but how can discuss the repertoire if the book says publishes on December and there is no excerpt yet ?

IP Logged

mn

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #16 - 07/19/18 at 00:29:14
Post Tools
e4/d4/Nc3/Nf3/Bc4/0-0/Re1/a4/Ba2

IP Logged

Michael Ayton
God Member

‘You’re never alone with
a doppelgänger.’

Reply #15 - 07/18/18 at 23:21:48
Post Tools

@ Stigma

Quote:
... his choices against the Philidor are critical main lines there ...

Could you, without giving an unethical amount away, say more?

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #14 - 07/18/18 at 13:45:57
Post Tools
Stigma wrote on 07/18/18 at 12:32:53:
I imagine the Prins could be quite easy to play on club level.

Yeah, but expect that what happened to me with the Morra Gambit will happen to you: at some point Black will prepare for you. That's pretty easy: 5.f3 e5 6.Bb5+ Nbd7 7.Nf5 d5 8.exd5 a6 9.Ba4 b5 10.Bb3 Nc5 and 6.Nb3 Be6 7.c4 a5 8.Be3 a4 9.N3d2 Be7 10.Nc3 a3!?
The good news of course is this: if you're comfortable with one of these two lines (or some deviation) and hence don't fear a theoretical battle you've turned the Prins into a potent weapon.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #13 - 07/18/18 at 12:32:53
Post Tools
MNb wrote on 07/18/18 at 10:46:49:
Stigma wrote on 07/17/18 at 19:02:34:
In addition to the mentioned Anti-Sicilians against 2...d6, there is also the Prins: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.f3.

I omitted it because of the theme "Keep It Simple".

Strictly speaking the theme of the thread is the theory work "Keep It Simple: 1.e4" by IM Sielecki, and it has veered off topic somewhat. As I mentioned, not all his lines are simple, despite the title: The Pirc/Modern and Scandinavian lines are probably more complex than 3.Bb5+ Nd7, and his choices against the Philidor are critical main lines there, as far as I can tell. Anyway, when you are suggesting Open Sicilians, even slightly offbeat ones, I think I'm allowed to suggest the Prins.  Smiley

I imagine the Prins could be quite easy to play on club level. White would need some understanding of Maroczy and Hedgehog positions, but would quickly build up an experience edge as Black players don't face it often and may not be prepared for it. I can't recall it ever being recommended in a repertoire work for White; they tend to go for Bb5 Sicilians, the c3 Sicilian, the Closed or the Grand Prix Attack if they avoid the Open.

There is a two-part video by Igor Smirnov on the Prins somewhere on the net. Someone who watched that would probably be well set to spring it on unsuspecting opponents. To be filled out with a glance at Shaw's Maroczy lines, some Hedgehog theory, and maybe Sergey Kasparov's book in due time.

Having said all that, I'm not sure how the Prins is doing theoretically at the moment - If I start playing it seriously, I need to look at some recent high-level games first.

MNb wrote on 07/18/18 at 10:46:49:
One big issue with ..... and the Chekhover (4.Qxd4) is what to do against the 3...Nf6!? move order - White may need to look into 4.dxc5 there.

What's the problem with 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 Nf6 4.Nc3 cxd4 5.Qxd4 ?

Nothing, if White intended to play it with an early Nc3 anyway. But White is deprived of some options this way: Carlsen and other GMs have played it with c2-c4 (again reaching Maroczy positions), and I believe there are some lines in the standard move order where Be3 or Bg5 can be tried before Nc3 is in.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #12 - 07/18/18 at 10:46:49
Post Tools
In addition to the mentioned Anti-Sicilians against 2...d6, there is also the Prins: 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.f3.

I omitted it because of the theme "Keep It Simple".

One big issue with ..... and the Chekhover (4.Qxd4) is what to do against the 3...Nf6!? move order - White may need to look into 4.dxc5 there.

What's the problem with 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.d4 Nf6 4.Nc3 cxd4 5.Qxd4 ?

In the Moscow, I don't mind 3...Nd7.

You shouldn't. Again my point is that it's not simple, which is the theme of this threax.

But starting with an "Anti" there is a reasonable way to ease into 1.e4 and learn all the theory in stages. The Rossolimo, on the other hand, seems rich enough that it could be a main choice for a lifetime.

Regulars must get bored of me, but I'll write it again: given the popularity of many Anti-Sicilians (including those Bb5 systems) a repertoire with somewhat off-beat Open Siclians might be the simplest solution.'White must give up claims to prove an opening advantage, but that attitude is popular on the highest level anyway.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #11 - 07/18/18 at 08:13:55
Post Tools
alyechin wrote on 07/17/18 at 15:44:44:
If you like the Rossolimo (2...Nc6 Bb5) but not the Moscow (2...d6 3.Bb5+), what can you play with the white pieces against the Sicilian?

I play the Rossolimo vs. Nc6, the KIA vs. e6 and a largely English Attack set up in the Open Sicilian vs. d6, the latter based mostly on 'Dismantling the Sicilian' with a plan to upgrade it to the lines in John's Shaw's new book.

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #10 - 07/17/18 at 19:02:34
Post Tools

I'm seriously considering that as an alternative to the Moscow. Of course, it still involves aiming for Maroczy Bind (or Hedgehog) style positions - that's basically the whole point of the Prins.

One big issue with both the Prins and the Chekhover (4.Qxd4) is what to do against the 3...Nf6!? move order - White may need to look into 4.dxc5 there.

But an advantage of the Prins is if Black accepts the Maroczy transposition, White will probably end up squarely in the lines advocated by Shaw in Playing 1.e4 - Sicilian Main Lines. He is keen on playing an early f3 in the Maroczy Bind.

In the Moscow, I don't mind 3...Nd7. It often leads to Ruy Lopez type positions, a structure I'm trying to learn anyway. It's 3...Bd7 4.Bxd7+ Qxd7 that feels a bit too quiet for my tastes. I don't play at my best if I'm bored...

Long-term, if I stick with 1.e4, I will definitely play the Open Sicilian against 2...d6. But starting with an "Anti" there is a reasonable way to ease into 1.e4 and learn all the theory in stages. The Rossolimo, on the other hand, seems rich enough that it could be a main choice for a lifetime.

IP Logged

MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Reply #9 - 07/17/18 at 18:34:46
Post Tools
The Hungarian 3.d4 cxd4 4.Qxd4 is decent (and allows the transposition 2...Nc6 3.Bb5 d6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Qxd4).
There is also 3.c3 Nf6 4.Bd3/4.Be2.

To me these options look simpler than 3.Bb5+ Nd7.

GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #8 - 07/17/18 at 18:25:19
Post Tools
It´s not uncommon that a player combines the Rossolimo with open Sicilians against 2...d6 and 2...e6. For some, the main attraction of the Rossolimo is to avoid the Sveshnikov.

Regarding other anti-Siclians against 2...d6, both 3.Bc4 and 3.c3 are decent options. But I´m not sure if these are more "exciting" than the Moscow.

IP Logged

alyechin

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 07/17/18 at 15:44:44
Post Tools
If you like the Rossolimo (2...Nc6 Bb5) but not the Moscow (2...d6 3.Bb5+), what can you play with the white pieces against the Sicilian?

IP Logged

JEH
God Member

"Football is like Chess,
only without the dice."

Reply #6 - 07/16/18 at 10:27:42
Post Tools
I've been a member of Chessable for many months, and I find it really useful, but the evolution to video integration, as with this book, is sublime!

I picked up this one, not for the full repertoire, but for adding some of the components of it to my 1. e4 repertoire.

I've watched all the video coverage (it's excellent), but not started on the line assimilation yet, apart from some side lines.

I really like the solutions to the minor lines, and the tricky stuff like the Pirc/Modern, Scandinavian and Alekhine.

I wouldn't add the Exchange French, I'd stick to my current stuff.

The 2N Caro is interesting, but I'm happy with my current solutions.

For the Sicilian, I've usually played the Rossolimo with an early Nxc6 chop, but I like the plan here of reserving the option on that when possible.

Never used the Moscow, I go open Sicilian vs d6, but watched the video coverage, so an option for me to add later.

The Scotch 4N (along with the Exchange French) seems to be a heart sinker for Black players wanting to play for a win, but then that might the reason for having them in your repertoire  Smiley

I wouldn't want either to be my only option though!

It's a super thorough and high quality product I'd happily recommend even if you only want parts of the repertoire  Cool

Those who want to go by my perverse footsteps play such pawn structure with fuzzy atypical still strategic orientations

Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middlegame with you

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

Reply #5 - 07/15/18 at 23:33:42
Post Tools
I've said before that people who play 1.e4, but solidly, can be very tricky to face. I prefer a bit more complexity than many of Sielecki's choices here, and can't imagine playing this exclusively. But it's great for a solid backup repertoire or to pick and choose lines.

The lines I struggle most with feeling enthusiastic about are the Scotch Four Knights and also the Sicilian Moscow variation if Black plays the most solid defence against it. In the latter case I guess you just have to learn to squeeze with the typical Maroczy Bind-style space advantage.

The French Exchange is actually interpreted quite dynamically by Sielecki, so I wouldn't call that the most simple or boring part of the repertoire.

I also feel that he departs from the "simple" philosophy against Black's lesser defences. The lines against the Scandinavian and Pirc/Modern can get quite sharp and critical, so while objectively good, they may not fit that well with the rest of the repertoire.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 07/15/18 at 20:06:37
Post Tools
I agree that the French Exchange is a good way to keep it simple for White.

All in all this is a pretty decent repertoire. The good thing is that you can build up on it if you want to and keep the solid choice in reserve if need be.

And as I said I play or have played most of these lines myself.

NiC has the book in their "coming soon" section. It´s noticable that even such a "simple" repertoire seems to require 375 pages to cover it. Wink

IP Logged

LeeRoth
God Member

I love ChessPublishing.com!

Reply #3 - 07/15/18 at 18:42:45
Post Tools
I dread the Keres Attack.  If you want to play the Alapin instead, I’m more than happy.    Wink

All kidding aside, this looks like a good repertoire for those trying to keep it simple.  I like that Sielecki picks lines that allow White to choose the variation.

@Fllg: I get that the French Exchange isn’t the most exciting, but what else is there?  Unless you opt for the Advance or the KIA, it’s hard to keep things simple.

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 07/15/18 at 11:49:44
Post Tools
These are exactly the lines that lots of black players dread. Mainly because they can be quite dry (with some exceptions), and they are also difficult for black to avoid.

I suppose this is exactly Sielecki's point, and I can imagine it being a good point scorer.

Looking through Sielecki's YouTube channel lets you have a look at a lot of this repertoire in action, in case you are curious.

For me, this repertoire is a little bit on the dry side. I would be happy to play most of the lines, but not exclusively.

IP Logged

Fllg
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #1 - 07/14/18 at 20:59:48
Post Tools
It seems this will be published by NiC in printed form by the end of the year.

Regarding the repertoire I play or have played most of his suggestions so in my view it should be quite decent.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.c3 is of course a good choice but requires knowledge of a few different structures after 3...d5 or 3...Nf6.

The French Exchange is certainly debatable but it´s a solid choice and I´m sure the author has some decent ideas there.

In my view Sielecki is a good author who puts in quite some effort into his work. At least thats my opiniion about everything I have read or seen from him.

IP Logged

alyechin

I Love ChessPublishing!

Keep It Simple: 1.e4 by IM Sielecki
07/14/18 at 18:27:57
Post Tools
I want to start a discussion about this repertoire.

The main choices are:

Sicilian: Rossolimo against 2...Nc6, Moscow against 2...d6, Alapin against 2...e6

Open Games: Scotch 4Knights against 2...Nc6, 3. Nc3 against Petroff

Caro-Kann: 2. Sc3 3. Nf3

French: Exchange Variation

Pirc/Modern: Setup with 3.Nc3 4.Be3 followed by f4 if possible and good

Modern Philidor: Mainline with 3.Nc3 4.Nf3 5.Bc4

Scandinavian Defence: 3.Bb5 vs 2...Nf6, 3.Nc3 vs 2...Qxd5

Alekhine: Exchange Variation

Rare Lines: 2.Nf3 vs 1...Nc6, 2.d4 3.Bd3 vs 1...b6, 2.d4 3.Bd3 vs 1...a6 2...b5

This repertoire is for players who want to start playing 1. e4. What to you think about it?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo