Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Georgiev/Semkov on English (Read 7645 times)
MNb
God Member

Rudolf Spielmann forever

Re: Georgiev/Semkov on English
Reply #9 - 07/25/18 at 18:57:23
Post Tools
IM Cummings actually recommends 1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.e3 because compared to 3.Nf3 f5 4.d4 e4 5.Ng1 he wants to win two tempi. Unfortunately one of several flaws in his book (it's pretty good, but not as good as gillbod seems to suggest above) is he not recognizing that the variation is a joy killer with colours reversed: 1.e4 c5 2.Nc3 e6 3.f4 d5 4.Nf3 dxe4 5.Nxe4. So he doesn't consider 1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 Nc6 3.e3 f5 4.d4 and now the simple Nf6.
So I strongly consider buying Georgiev/Semkov's book as a complement.

The book had the effect good books usually have: it made the stupids more stupid, the intelligent more intelligent and the other thousands of readers remained unchanged.
GC Lichtenberg

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #8 - 07/25/18 at 17:38:11
Post Tools
Speaking of e3, you can even play it a move earlier.  (Dennis Monokroussos on an article in Informant 135:  "GM Ivan Ivanisevic offers a compact white repertoire in the English built on 1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.e3. He doesn't promise an advantage, but the positions are fresh and not easy for Black to solve at the board - especially if he doesn't play the Sicilian with White, as many of the positions transpose into reversed Sicilians.")

IP Logged

ErictheRed
God Member

USCF National Master

Reply #7 - 07/25/18 at 17:25:58
Post Tools
Leon_Trotsky wrote on 07/24/18 at 22:10:38:
I noticed that the English without fianchetto is getting more popular. Is there a reason for this, or people just not like the fianchetto variations anymore ¿

Wasn't that the basis of David Cumming's book?  I suspect that's the primary reason, at least among amateurs.

IP Logged

RoleyPoley
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #6 - 07/25/18 at 13:08:43
Post Tools
Antillian wrote on 07/25/18 at 12:51:39:
I noticed that the English without fianchetto is getting more popular. Is there a reason for this, or people just not like the fianchetto variations anymore ¿

It may be a reaction to an explosion of theory in the g3 lines since Marin helped to populize them.

This and perhaps a reaction by those following Tony's book and facing the c6 lines that came out in the dangerous weapons one as an antidote?

Also, could transpositions have anything to do with this?

"As Mikhail Tal would say ' Let's have a bit of hooliganism! '"

Victor Bologan.

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #5 - 07/25/18 at 12:51:39
Post Tools

It may be a reaction to an explosion of theory in the g3 lines since Marin helped to populize them.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #4 - 07/25/18 at 11:43:38
Post Tools
Chess Stars stuff is generally good, so this is welcome news.

Cummings's book is really good, though, so I'm not sure whether I would pull the trigger on this.

Given that the theory on these lines is not so developed (though surely being developed very quickly given the current popularity!), I wonder what to make of a multi-volume tome. Will the extra space be spent on analysis, or explanation? I would generally favour the latter for these lines.

IP Logged

kylemeister
God Member

Reply #3 - 07/24/18 at 23:12:16
Post Tools
I recall a different view from Timman some months ago (YB 126).  The article was about this 4. e3 line (which he faced from Korchnoi, Miles and Keene 41 years ago ...), and he wrote something like:  I expect to see more of g3, since Black has been doing so comfortably here.

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #2 - 07/24/18 at 22:10:38
Post Tools

IP Logged

Antillian
God Member

Brilliance without dazzle!

Reply #1 - 07/24/18 at 20:52:32
Post Tools
This sounds interesting. It should be a good complement to David Cummings' Opening Repertoire: The English.

"Breakthrough results come about by a series of good decisions, diligently executed and accumulated one on top of another." Jim Collins --- Good to Great

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Georgiev/Semkov on English
07/23/18 at 08:36:04
Post Tools
Chess Stars Publishing has announced a new book on the English,
(obviously the first volume in a whole series on 1c4 for White)

The Modern English Volume 1: 1.c4 e5
by Kiril Georgiev and Semko Semkov
expected in September

The book is written by White's standpoint and covers non-g3 set-ups:
1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 Nf6 3.Nc3 Nc6 4.e3 as a main weapon and 4.d3 as an alternative.
Some notable exceptions are 1.c4 e5 2.Nc3 d6 3.g3, although 3.Nf3 and 3.d4 are also analysed.
The book goes beyond a straightforward repertoire, and covers different approaches.
Thus it should serve well players with both colours.

Imo Semkov´s books are always very readable, practical and useful!

tracke  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo