Latest Updates:
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Gambit Killer by Salgado Lopez (Read 24370 times)
Dink Heckler
God Member

Love-Forty

Re: Gambit Killer by Salgado Lopez
Reply #19 - 09/26/18 at 09:07:14
Post Tools
RdC wrote on 09/26/18 at 07:11:13:
Pawnpusher wrote on 09/26/18 at 00:19:52:
d It is hard to prepare for the v. Hennig

It's easy enough to avoid if you are expecting it. Just open 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 c5 4. e3 . Use ideas from the Axel Smith book !

Well, if you want to play vegan chess like that, probably better to open with something else entirely  Smiley

'Am I any good at tactics?'
'Computer says No!'

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #18 - 09/26/18 at 07:11:13
Post Tools
Pawnpusher wrote on 09/26/18 at 00:19:52:
d It is hard to prepare for the v. Hennig

It's easy enough to avoid if you are expecting it. Just open 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 c5 4. e3 . Use ideas from the Axel Smith book !

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #17 - 09/26/18 at 00:19:52
Post Tools
OK here are Salgado's conclusions about why it is fine to play the v. Hennig until you are 2000
a Most people don't know what to do about the gambit. Basic knowledge doesn't suffice.
b Black's play is easy to find, he gets pieces on very active squares
c White is under pressure from the start
d It is hard to prepare for the v. Hennig (with Salgado's book he argues) But again Bronznik, to a degree, makes a similar conclusion about the v. Hennig.

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #16 - 09/25/18 at 19:31:20
Post Tools
RdC wrote on 09/25/18 at 11:29:28:
Pawnpusher wrote on 09/24/18 at 23:26:02:
Salgado says there is a refutation and supports it with a lot of analysis.

That's a position for technical players rather than hackers.

Why is that? Black is basically playing White in an IQP variation, no? I would argue that's better suited for hackers.

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #15 - 09/25/18 at 11:29:28
Post Tools
Pawnpusher wrote on 09/24/18 at 23:26:02:
Salgado says there is a refutation and supports it with a lot of analysis.

That's one problem. The other is the practical one that many players will know the broad ideas and seek to avoid them. The usual result being a generic IQP position which can arise from any number of openings and might not be to Black's taste.

Perhaps White is marginally worse after say 1. d4 d5 2. c4 e6 3. Nc3 c5 4 cxd5 exd5 5. Qxd4 Nc6 6. Qd1 exd5 7. e3 Nf6. That's a position for technical players rather than hackers.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #14 - 09/24/18 at 23:26:02
Post Tools
Well after I read the Hennig chapter and the Slav chapter Salgado Lopez writes that the Hennig is very playable up to about 2020, and that the Timman gambit in the Slav exchange is entirely playable. So I guess he's even more even handed than I thought.
By the way, Valeri Bronznik in his D4 Guerillas book  came to about the same conclusion about the Hennig, so there are two formidable analysts who say play it up till about 2000ish. Salgado says there is a refutation and supports it with a lot of analysis.

IP Logged

Stigma
God Member

There is a crack in everything.

Reply #13 - 09/24/18 at 19:07:53
Post Tools
What's his general conclusion on the Von Hennig-Schara? Does White keep an edge there?

I have a good impression of Salgado Lopez after watching his "Fighting the Anti-Sicilians" videos on chess24. Seems like a thorough analyst (and an engaging presenter), which bodes well for the book.

Improvement begins at the edge of your comfort zone. -Jonathan Rowson

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #12 - 09/24/18 at 15:44:59
Post Tools
grandpatzer wrote on 09/24/18 at 14:23:56:
Thanks to Glenn Snow for the review! So there are gambits from both sides, but I still don't understand if the "Killer" in the title means that the author tries to refute every gambit in the book or just covers them.

I agree with Pawnpusher that he's mostly promoting the White side but he tries to analyze all of the gambits objectively.  He's certainly doesn't claim to have refuted all of the gambits in the book.  The "Timman Gambit" for example, he writes, "I can tell in advance: this gambit seems to be good!".

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #11 - 09/24/18 at 14:23:56
Post Tools
Thanks to Glenn Snow for the review! So there are gambits from both sides, but I still don't understand if the "Killer" in the title means that the author tries to refute every gambit in the book or just covers them.

IP Logged

Pawnpusher

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #10 - 09/24/18 at 10:43:56
Post Tools
It is mostly from a white perspective, but I think he makes a considerable effort to be objective. I am only as far as the von Hennig-Scharra chapter, but I like what I have read so far, and I think the analysis holds water when you look at it with engines.

IP Logged

gillbod

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #9 - 09/24/18 at 10:15:52
Post Tools
Great overview, thanks @Glenn.

Quick question: I'm guessing the coverage is from the perspective of the player playing against the gambit (e.g. from white's perspective in the Hennig-Schara, but from black's perspective against the Blackmar-Diemer)?

IP Logged

Glenn Snow
God Member

Reply #8 - 09/24/18 at 03:03:54
Post Tools
I purchased this book a short time ago via the Forward Chess app.  I like a lot about the book but I feel it could have been even better.  Keep in mind I haven’t tested or ran any of the authors analysis on my own computer.  I don’t see where he ever mentions it, but all of the openings do arise via 1.d4.  I'll just briefly mention my thoughts about the main chapters.  The Budapest Gambit chapter is of course a system for White and at least on the surface appears to be quite promising.  The Blumenfeld Gambit chapter has improvements for both sides, but in the end he thinks the accepted variation is better for White. The Tarrasch and Marshall Gambits chapter only covers 5.dxc5 and 5.e4, both equal with best play according to the book.  Why not analyze 5.Nf3 Nc6 6.dxc5 that has been analyzed here on the forum and seems like a better try? The Von Hennig-Schara Gambit chapter has a lot of information.  I don’t know how much it adds to theory as I’m not that familiar with it.  He believes the variation where Black castles kingside to be his best chance. The Slav Gambits chapter only considers the Winawer Countergambit and “Timman’s Gambit”, (1.d4 d4 2.c4 c6 3.cxd5 4.Nc3 Nc6 5.Bf4 e5).  Ok, to be fair in the latter variation he also covers 5.e4!? and 5.Nf3 e5? but no mention of 5.Bf4.  I can also think of some other very interesting Slav Gambits that could have added even more value to the book.  The Dutch Gambits chapter covers 2.g4 and the Staunton Gambit and this looks like another really good chapter with new and interesting analysis. Neither system gives an advantage but they are great surprise weapons. Easily Refuted Gambits covers the Englund Gambit (called the “Charlick Gambit in the book), the Gibbins-Weidenhagen Gambit, and the Blackmar-Diemer Gambit.  This analysis should be useful to many players as well.  Lastly, he covers the Albin with one of the main lines of 5.a3, showing how White can maintain an advantage against Black’s various tries.  (There’s also thre chapters on “model games with exercises on the Budapest, Blumenfeld and VHS Gambits that I haven’t looked at yet.)  So all in all a very decent book as long as most of the analysis holds up.  My only regret is that he didn’t bother to analyze some of the other very interesting 1.d4 gambits.

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #7 - 09/21/18 at 13:46:59
Post Tools
Seems to be the only recent opening book by a GM that no-one is paying attention to...  Shocked

IP Logged

Leon_Trotsky

Кто был никем — тот станет
всем!

Reply #6 - 09/15/18 at 18:51:01
Post Tools
Confused_by_Theory wrote on 09/14/18 at 17:02:05:
Looks nice though. Will take a look if I find it in a bookstall.

Where you ilve that you find so many good chess books on shelf of bookstores ¿  Shocked

IP Logged

grandpatzer

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #5 - 09/15/18 at 09:57:13
Post Tools
The book should be from White's point of view, and yes, a line vs. the Benko Gambit should have been very welcome, but from the excerpt it seems that the Benko is not covered.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Topic Tools
Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo