Latest Updates:
Normal Topic ECF charge to play in England (Read 3523 times)
RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: ECF charge to play in England
Reply #7 - 08/18/18 at 16:57:32
Post Tools
Laramonet wrote on 08/15/18 at 17:34:47:
Hi RdC,
     It is in Bristol and it is FIDE rated, as are most Open sections in Wales.

I see where you are coming from on that, it's the ECF's charge for FIDE rating that they are applying to non-ENG players. FIDE apply a charge for everyone (one Euro, so £ 1.50 is ECF profit taking) but the ECF treat it as a benefit of membership for Gold members. Most English Congresses absorb the extra cost for the relative handful of non-ENG players as evidently the WLS Congresses do for non-WLS players. If it's a Norm tournament, you want non-local players anyway.

If you weren't WLS on the FIDE list or anybody else, or WLS but not a current member of the Welsh Federation, would you be allowed to play in a Welsh event and if so at what cost?

IP Logged

brabo
God Member

Welcome chessfriend

Reply #6 - 08/17/18 at 14:03:26
Post Tools
About 20 years ago I wanted to visit a temple in India.
The authorities asked 5 roepies from locals to enter. However 500 roepies was asked from foreigners. I decided not to do the visit. I don't regret as there were other interesting things to do.

IP Logged

GMTonyKosten
YaBB Administrator

Mr Dynamic?

Reply #5 - 08/17/18 at 06:24:02
Post Tools
Laramonet wrote on 08/15/18 at 17:34:47:
If we both enter the same tournament in England, I am charged more to play.

No, that doesn't seem right to me, I certainly wouldn't pay any extra fee simply because I was registered on another nation's ELO list, I'd prefer not to play the tournament.

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

Reply #4 - 08/15/18 at 17:34:47
Post Tools
Hi RdC,
     It is in Bristol and it is FIDE rated, as are most Open sections in Wales.

Hi IsaVulpes,
    I must be missing your point. I register via my club through to the Welsh Chess Union. I enter a tournament in Wales, pay my entry fee and play. If an English player, registered though the ECF plays in the same tournament he pays the same fee.
  If we both enter the same tournament in England, I am charged more to play. I don't think that "seems logical enough" at all.

IP Logged

IsaVulpes

No.

Reply #3 - 08/13/18 at 21:47:45
Post Tools
If you are part of the ECF, you have to pay a yearly fee. If you aren't.. you pay per tournament. Seems logical enough?! The only reason you have to pay but English players don't is that the English players *already* paid.

The main difference to other countries is that in other countries you don't directly pay the federation yourself, but your club does, and foreigners avoid the process entirely (I think, anyway).

FIDE btw always charges to "process your results", thats why Elo-rated tournaments tend to be more expensive than ones which are only nationally rated. Federations live through fees..

IP Logged

RdC
God Member

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 08/13/18 at 21:47:30
Post Tools
Laramonet wrote on 08/13/18 at 20:43:16:
However, for the next tournament I am to play in, again in England, I have had to pay a fee because I am not registered through the English Chess Federation.

I think you will find it's because the tournament you play in is not going to be FIDE rated.

The ECF aren't quite as bad as the USCF who insist on membership regardless, but they have a scheme where non-members are permitted to play but at a higher cost. It's membership rather than registration as you can be registered with FIDE other than as ENG and also be an ECF member.

Which tournament is it?

IP Logged

fjd
God Member

Reply #1 - 08/13/18 at 20:50:02
Post Tools
This does happen here in Canada as well (I think).

IP Logged

Laramonet

Gwyddbwll am byth !

ECF charge to play in England
08/13/18 at 20:43:16
Post Tools
I've played in tournaments in England before and also in Bulgaria and Greece, as well as my native Wales. However, for the next tournament I am to play in, again in England, I have had to pay a fee because I am not registered through the English Chess Federation. I have a FIDE registration and grade, as well as one through the Welsh Chess Union.
Has anyone challenged this ? It feels like a charge for "not being English" ! I have queried with the organisers via email, whether it is even legal but just had my calculation of the entry fee confirmed as correct. I have paid the fee and will play but does this happen in any other country in the world ? What possible justification is there for charging to "process my results" ? Does this seem to border on racism, even if applied equally to all nationalities other than English ?  Shocked

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo