Latest Updates:
Normal Topic Learn to Play the Queens Gambit (Read 4152 times)
MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Re: Learn to Play the Queens Gambit
Reply #5 - 09/16/18 at 19:25:54
Post Tools
Great overview, thanks very much tracke.

IP Logged

tracke

Introite tam etiam ibi
dei sunt

Reply #4 - 09/16/18 at 18:10:10
Post Tools
I‘ve got this book from Niggemann last week.

It‘s a good introduction/overview on the QGD for advanced club or tournament player (~1700-2100?!).

Hardcover, good paper, nice layout, translation by Ken Neat, table of content, index of variations (called ‚Arrangement of material‘), index of main games, index of players (of the main games)
Probably nothing from Karpov but the name and the participation in some of the presented games. But of course Kalinichenko is able to write good chess books on his own.
There are 85 fully annotated games with many notes in the opening phase to present the whole theory or at least the most important systems after 1 d4 d5 2 c4 e6 3 Nc3 (and now ... Nf6 or ... Be7 or ...c5). Nothing about QGA, Semislav, Catalan or systems with delayed Nc3. But it‘s still a lot: Tartakower, Lasker, Petrosian (h6 Bxf6), Orthodox, Cambridge-Springs, Exchange, Alatortsev, Bf4 systems, Ragozin, Vienna, Semi-Tarrasch, Tarrasch.
There are modern and classical games with Karpov (13), Aronian (10), Carlsen (9), Kramnik (8), Grischuk (7), Ivanchuk (7), Topalov (6), Nakamura (5), Ponomariov (5), Giri (4), Kasparov (4), Spassky (3), ... Material seems to be up to 2016. At some places the book definitly has a russian perspective, so I suspect that this is a translation from a russian book published in 2016 (or early 2017)?!

For master players this book certainly has no or not much value but for club or expert players not knowing much about this classical opening this might be a good or even very good introduction and complete overview over all main systems! The book is maybe very slightly biased towards White but still very objective and useful for both sides.
I know many players 1700-2100 who played 1e4 and KID/Leningrad/Benkö all their chess career and know nothing or little about QGD systems but think about playing this. For them this is a fine tool!

tracke  Smiley
« Last Edit: 09/16/18 at 21:09:18 by tracke »  

IP Logged

Jupp53
God Member

be

Reply #3 - 09/16/18 at 16:23:46
Post Tools

Medical textbooks say I should be dead since April 2002.
Dum spiro spero. Smiley
Narcissm is the humans primary disease.

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Reply #2 - 09/16/18 at 09:45:07
Post Tools
The only place I've seen it on sale at this stage is Chess & Bridge in the UK...if you Google London Chess and Bridge then look at new products.

IP Logged

proustiskeen
YaBB Moderator

Hello from Omaha!

Reply #1 - 09/16/18 at 05:17:13
Post Tools
Can you provide a link to where this is being sold?

IP Logged

MW

I Love ChessPublishing!

Learn to Play the Queens Gambit
09/15/18 at 18:55:47
Post Tools

Has anyone purchased this new book by Karpov and Kalinichenko and if so what are your thoughts on it?

IP Logged

Bookmarks: del.icio.us Digg Facebook Google Google+ Linked in reddit StumbleUpon Twitter Yahoo